Sections

Sony is “going back to the drawing board with Driveclub,” says exec

Monday, 10th March 2014 20:59 GMT By Sherif Saed

It doesn’t appear like we’re going to be playing Driveclub any time soon, as Worldwide Studios executive Scott Rohde has said that the studio is going to back to the drawing board.

20131016_driveclub

Speaking to IGN in an interview, Rohde stressed that the studio’s fundamental principle is to make great games.

“We really don’t want to release a game before it’s ready. And sometimes, this happens in the normal course of business, where we think we’re on track to deliver what we think is going to be a great game, and when we get closer, we realize that we’d be doing everyone a disservice if we shipped it before it was ready.

“So, I think that at PlayStation, perhaps more than at other places, we’re willing to kinda eat that [cost], and go back to the drawing board and make sure the game is great before we ship it. And that’s what’s going on right now with that game,” he added.

Rohde also stated that while they’re not announcing a release date, we’ll hear more details soon.

Driveclub was recently in the news for having its release date announced by mistake to be April, something which was never confirmed. Earlier this year, PlayStation Magazine Italy, had pegged it for a June launch.

Beyond teasing a release date announcement, Sony has never announced a release date or release period for the PS4 racer.

What do you think, Is there a chance we will see the game in 2014? Let us know below.

Latest

14 Comments

  1. SilentStray

    I’m all for them going “back to the drawing board.” There are some games released this year and last that would have had a better start if they would have held out just a little longer, fixed just a few more things.

    All in all, I commend them for holding as this is a game I want and am willing to wait for.

    #1 9 months ago
  2. Hcw87

    @1

    This isn’t the first time they’re ”going back to the drawing board” with this game.

    Something tells me they’ll scrap the whole thing eventually. Maybe work on a Motorstorm release instead. I certainly don’t think it’ll still be a F2P game when it eventually releases.

    #2 9 months ago
  3. KAP

    @1

    I’m with you, SCE funding this project to give it the best start is impressive and wished many others did the same.
    Many these days just rush games out the door and people like @2 would complain it’s buggy or glitchy yet if they decide to put the game back in the oven to cook, they’ll simply complain it’s never coming out… never happy!

    Anyway Driveclub will come out when it’s done. That honestly.. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

    #3 9 months ago
  4. budgiesmuggler

    Just look at the recent controversy over the “downgrade” with Watchdogs and the backlash that followed!

    Sony have seen this and have finally realised that us gamers just aren’t willing to put up with second rate, patch it after release titles anymore!
    The negative press alone is a game killer.

    Not only are these titles supposed to be “next gen” but we’re paying “next gen” prices for the privilege so they have to be 100% from the off……

    Hope they give us something that is jaw-dropping! :)

    #4 9 months ago
  5. jomac3db

    I still think these next gen consoles were released way too soon. Maybe if they would’ve waited until the end of this year it would’ve been great

    #5 9 months ago
  6. the Bridgeburner

    @jomac3db

    Too soon?! Hell, why bother releasing a new system, ever! Just keep using the old stuff! Man, these new consoles are late enough already.

    #6 9 months ago
  7. POOhead

    @budgiesmuggler

    you have to be deluded to believe your statement

    #7 9 months ago
  8. Doppleganger

    Woah. That’s so not true as there’s tons of amazing games on xbox one and probably never owned so many games this early in the consoles life with another previous console. Consumers are just so misinformed. Everyone that I know that owns a ps4 just plays FIFA….. I guess you save 100 dollars on the console and save on software as there’s nothing to buy.

    #8 9 months ago
  9. Tech-N9ne

    Wow, back to the drawing board? Seriously? And all the people that bought the PS4 in anticipation for this game? This games was teased as a launch game! With all the amazing footage they kept showing us.

    I hope they don’t pull such nonsense with The Order thats why I got my PS4.

    And the Sony apologists on the site amazes me, imagine if this was an Xbox One game?

    #9 9 months ago
  10. mistermogul

    Where does it say that this has gone “back to the drawing board”? The Sony rep didn’t quote it.

    I think it’s been taken out of context after the game was already delayed from last year and Sony wanted to take more time to improve the game.

    This kind of shit is what really annoys me about games “journalism”. There are so many twisted quotes, inaccurate information and rehashed “articles”. The likelihood is that another journalist on another site used the words “back to the drawing board” for this story and every other journalist that’s rehashed the story have used the same thing.

    #10 9 months ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

    @mistermogul It is in there my friend:

    “So, I think that at PlayStation, perhaps more than at other places, we’re willing to kinda eat that [cost], and go back to the drawing board and make sure the game is great before we ship it. And that’s what’s going on right now with that game,”

    #11 9 months ago
  12. MidlifeAxe

    @mistermogul @Moonwalker1982

    Someone didn’t read the article! An apology is in order I think.

    #12 9 months ago
  13. Keljo85

    I think after that whole battlefield with bugs and glitches some not all developers thought twice before releasing a game too soon. It is good to want to release a great game, but this game I don’t think will be out in 2014 or 2015.

    #13 9 months ago
  14. MrSec84

    “So, I think that at PlayStation, perhaps more than at other places, we’re willing to kinda eat that [cost], and go back to the drawing board and make sure the game is great before we ship it. And that’s what’s going on right now with that game,”

    Scott Rhode was basically saying they’re trying make the game great, they haven’t recently gone back to the start, it’s basically a general comment on what’s happened with the project.

    They went back to the drawing board, so it could mean that a release isn’t exactly imminent, though the fact that they’re actually saying anything is a good sign, because otherwise you’d just go quiet & not say a thing until you were ready to declare that the game won’t be out for a while.

    So far no one from Evolution or Sony in general has come out & said the games not coming this year, in fact there’s been nothing to refute the “early 2014″ release schedule they laid out when they pushed the game back from being a launch release.

    In the last few gameplay shots they put out it looked very much a next gen racer (at least from a console racer POV), no longer showing just one car & a ghost on the track, also looking to be running very smoothly.

    So many people moaned about the whole 1080p 30FPS thing, hating on it for not being 60FPS, because it’s a racer, even though Evolution said they would push the game in all areas, including frame rate.

    GDC starts on the 17th of this month, rumors are rife with talks of a VR headset coming from Sony, this would be the perfect game to launch alongside such a thing.
    IMO I suspect this game will have it’s release date nailed down, alongside the many other games Sony’s already announced somewhere between the start & finish of GDC.

    #14 9 months ago

Comments are now closed on this article.