Final Fantasy 10/10-2 HD Remaster commercial takes you down memory lane

Friday, 7th March 2014 15:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

In just two weeks, Final Fantasy 10/10-2 HD Remaster will be released. Square felt this was an opportune time to release a commercial for it. It’s only 30 seconds, but still, it give you a bittersweet walk down memory lane. Final Fantasy 10/10-2 HD Remaster will be released on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita March 18 in North America and March 21 in Europe.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

1. Legendaryboss

Strangely enough this is the first HD Remaster i’m aware of receiving a TV Ad.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

@Legendaryboss Outside of Japan of course.

#2 6 months ago
  3. salarta

“Two celebrated adventures.” Yeah, sure. If celebrated is a synonym for both highly praised and highly loathed at the same time, then it’s accurate.

@Legendaryboss For obvious reasons on Squeenix’s part given how infamously disliked the FFX-2 part of the bundle is.

#3 6 months ago
  4. Michael Ireland

@salarta Nobody likes the aesthetic of FFX-2 compared to the original. Nobody has ever claimed that part of the game is very good.

What people like about FFX-2 is the gameplay. And that part of the game is great, which is all that ultimately matters.

I think Toriyama is a hack myself, but nobody is trying to alter the past here mate. People know what FFX-2′s faults are.

#4 6 months ago
  5. salarta

@Michael Ireland I would have to completely disagree with you and say Squeenix is trying to alter the past. They know from certain other games they’ve made that if you hype it to hell and back, people will buy it anyway. But more importantly, aside from things I’ve already said in the past, this is one half of an attempt to gauge the possibility of restarting the FFX universe as a franchise while keeping FFX-2 intact.

This is the reason Final Fantasy X-2.5 ~Price of Eternity~ and Final Fantasy X -Will- both exist. Both were made recently, one at the end of 2013 and the other for inclusion with the remaster. They may say Will doesn’t indicate any plans to restart the franchise, but for a series they supposedly have no plans to restart, they’re doing a hell of a lot with it and spending quite lavishly on promotion in comparison to any other products like it. And you can bet an FFX-3 will either have Toriyama as the guy in charge, or at the very least keep his FFX-2 crap canon, as they have already done with Price of Eternity and Will. People may buy it for the gameplay, but Squeenix seems to think it’s the story, not the gameplay, that people want today.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Dragon

When a game gets over 5 million in sales, its a celebrated title. People should learn that their personal opinions aren’t representative of anyone else but themselves.

#6 6 months ago
  7. CharlesLupula

You should know by now that Salarta counts his opinion as gospel.

Personally FFX is my favorite of the Final Fantasy games and I love, not just like, but love FFX-2.

#7 6 months ago
  8. the Bridgeburner

Final Fantasy is far from my favourite rpg series, but I think X is probably my top pick from the franchise – with I, VI, and IX close behind it. I pretty much adored the whole cast, which is a rare feat. Plus, I thought Spira was the richest FF world ever created, I just love the feel of it and the architecture.

X-2 is a crappy story wrapped in maybe the best battle system the series has ever seen. I’ll play it again for the awesome gameplay, indeed.

#8 6 months ago
  9. Michael Ireland

@salarta Nobody has a problem with keeping FFX-2 intact.

The J-Pop thing was stupid, but the gameplay was great and the story had it’s moments. It was just told badly and with a crappy aesthetic.

I think the backstory of FFX-2 fits in very well with the overall lore of Spira, and actually expands the world in a good way. Far better than any of the garbage that came out of FFXIII at least.

I don’t trust them to make a decent sequel out of it, but that doesn’t change the fact that people like the game. Sorry to disappoint you, but people have felt this way about X-2 for years.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Legendaryboss

@salarta I heard you the first time! :) I know just an observation.

#10 6 months ago