Earthlock is new Xbox One JRPG coming to ID@Xbox & PS4, first details & screens

Friday, 7th March 2014 09:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Earthlock: Festival of Magic is the next ID@Xbox title to be unveiled. It’s styled as a JRPG and is now in the works at Norway’s Snowcastle Games. The studio has revealed its first trailer, screens and details. It’s also slated for PC, Mac, Linux, PS4 and Wii U.

The game is currently being funded on Kickstarter. The team needs $150,000, and is currently sitting at $13,079 with 35 days left.

OXM spoke with concept artist Fredrik Tyskerud to get a handle on the project, confirming that it takes place on the planet Umbra, which has mysteriously stopped turning, rendering one half veiled in permanent night and winter, while the other has been turned into a sun-scorched desert. There’s a safe zone between both halves, and this is where the remnants of humanity have congregated, with a handful of explorers daring to venture out into the hostile environments.

It stars desert scavenger Amon, who finds himself in the middle of a war involving the Suvian Empire and a female pilot called Ive that can be switched between during field exploration. Tyskred stressed that the team wants to avoid sexualising Ive, and wants her to be a strong warrior. There’s also dark magic-wielder Fay, and ‘stormdog’ Taika.

There’s also a character-pairing battle mechanic that plays out in turn-based fashion, a bio ammo-growing mechanic involving seed planting, and much more. It runs in Unity and is coming to PC first then to consoles a few months later in Q2 2015.

Check out the details and let us know what you think below.

1. Ge0force

Why is this game mentioned as an “Xbox One RPG”, when it’s also available on all other platforms?

#1 5 months ago
  2. CycloneFox

+1@Ge0force
    As someone, not planning to buy a X Box one so soon, the headline almost killed my interest for this article. Isn’t that misleading?

#2 5 months ago
  3. RickGames

eeh, an IDXBOX game for ps4? on kickstarter? i dont get it… why is even ID mentioned and why is this news? it isnt even funded yet… or… wait what?

it looks ok, not too keen on the characters but if the story is good why not, jrpgs are welcomed.

#3 5 months ago
  4. OlderGamer

“It’s also slated for PC, Mac, Linux, PS4 and Wii U.”

Ge0force +1

#4 5 months ago
  5. mistermogul

+1 to all above…

Dave the wording you used here is very interesting. What made you use that title instead of “Earthlock is new Wii U JRPG coming to eshop and PC”?

#5 5 months ago
  6. TheWulf

Tagging is the most important thing, guys. I don’t really think this is bias on Dave’s part, it’s likely just how the news was given to him and he’s reporting it in its original form. That’s usually what happens.

If the game is tagged as being on other platforms properly, I really don’t mind. I always look at the tags.

#6 5 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Also, I remember seeing this ages ago! I was wondering what happened to this. I follow a number of indie sites and forums, so I’m not sure where I saw it first. It might even have been here on VG24/7.

It has some really interesting aspects to its settings which talk to my desire for novelty. It’s still a touch on the generic side (and the characters are all annoyingly caucasian pretties), but it’s at least trying to do something a little visually different.

My favourite in this bunch of screenshots is that town carved into the face of a cliff. That’s really rad.

#7 5 months ago
  8. mistermogul

@TheWulf – I agree with you, however this article is only posted in “PC, RPG, Xbox Live & Xbox One”, not Mac, Linux, Wii U.

Also while this may be a genuine oversight by Dave, it doesn’t help his case when there are so many allegations about favoritism, back-handers and other negative dealings in the gaming press.

To cover his back you would think Dave would take the few minutes required to change the article in a more balanced manner. But maybe that’s just me…

#8 5 months ago
  9. mistermogul

^ forgot PS4 too!

#9 5 months ago
  10. Djoenz

Haha the title is ninja edited hehe.
    I also saw JRPG and COMING TO XBOX I was like oh shit I have to check this out.

#10 5 months ago
  11. dkpunk

Man, that looks more than a little bit like it was created with Project Spark. Reminds me…. Time to get back to designing my RPG on Spark.

#11 5 months ago
  12. CharlesLupula

It’s a new XBox JRPG coming to Xbox and PS4. I see…

Wouldn’t it be easier and more accurate to just say a new JRPG coming to XBox and PS4?

#12 5 months ago
  13. the Bridgeburner

@CharlesLupula

Yeah, the wording is whack. An rpg coming to most platforms, would be more apt.

#13 5 months ago