Goat Simulator was “four houses and a Goat on a map in UDK” at reveal

Wednesday, 5th March 2014 22:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Goat Simulator famously wasn’t intended as a commercial product. According to lead developer Armin Ibrisagic, the sandbox’s entire origin story is a series of jokes turned reality.

goat_simulator

In a blog post on Gamasutra, Ibrisagic said that Coffee Stains Studios’ post-Sanctum 2 game jam was fill of “super-complex and deep RPG”s and “super-artistic story-based adventure”s his peers had always dreamed of making.

“It was actually really hard to get people on board the project,” he said.

“As the game design became more and more defined, the score system was brought in, which incidentally also made the game idea exponentially more funny, people started actually considering the project for real. They were finally turning into goats.

“Some day in January, goats were in the majority. We reached the point where the studio was like ‘OKAY FINE, LETS DO THE GOAT THING!’”

One week later, Ibrisagic was able to upload the first “alpha” footage to YouTube, noting that it was not the developer’s next commercial product.

“The game was no more alpha than it was a map in Unreal Engine 3 with a goat and some props you can run into. However, the internet did what it does best and exploded,” he said.

“After a day or two we reached more views on the Goat Simulator video than we had in all our other trailers we’ve produced over the last few years, combined.”

Players and journalists began calling for the project to be developed into a real game – and something well beyond the scope of Coffee Stain’s intentions.

“Earlier, we had thought that we could put up a download of Goat Simulator on our website in case we felt like we proud of the finished product. However, seeing as people were already asking for some pretty big features and expecting a game the size of Skyrim with goats, when it in fact was four houses and a goat on a map in UDK, we felt that wasn’t an option anymore,” Ibrisagic said.

“People were asking for mod support, goat customization, open world exploring, missions, AI for humans that would run away from you. Dozens of sites had already crowned us Game of the Year 2014.”

Coffee Stain devoted more staff on the project including Sanctum 2′s level designers, wrote a development plan, and started adding in more content. Valve was immediately enthusiastic about the project – as noted in the second trailer – and Coffee Stain announced an April 1 release date for Goat Simulator earlier this week.

“I’d like to say the exact same thing I said when originally pitching the idea: It could turn out great, it could also turn out terrible, but in either case, it’ll be really, really interesting,” Ibrisagic concluded.

You can pre-order Goat Simulator – or just learn more – on its website. It’s currently a PC exclusive, although Cofee Stain is investigating Linux and Mac ports.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. thegrimmling

I hope he is not…. goating us on….lol!

I want this on ps3!!!

#1 7 months ago
  2. Digital Bamboo

This kid is goating places.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Arnvidr

I hate people. Linux and Mac also runs on PC’s. Or should I hate MS for this? I’m confused.

Either way, I’m getting this!

#3 7 months ago
  4. deathm00n

@Arnvidr Windows, Linux and Mac are completely different from one another, doesn’t matter they all run on PCs. Their architecture is different, wich means to make something work on all 3 you need to rewrite part of your code. In a game, that’s a lot of code. To program something you use something called libraries, it contains everything you can or can’t do, for each one of the 3 systems the libraries end up being different and you often need to search for a new library in Linux or Mac.

Hope I helped you understand why Linux and Mac people can’t have the good things.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Arnvidr

@deathm00n I don’t know why you thought I didn’t know that. I reacted to the article calling it a PC exclusive. It’s obviously a Windows exclusive, and I hate the confusing trend that PC = Windows. Hopefully Valve’s stomping around will make it less the norm.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Arnvidr

Or to make my point more clearly, “Runs on PC? I have a PC, I’m getting it!” should not lead to “so now I need Windows as well?”

#6 7 months ago
  7. Digital Bamboo

@Arnvidr I see what you’re saying, but do you honestly think it likely anyone will make that mistake?

Linux is pretty much exclusively used by tech-savvy individuals, and Mac users spent way too much money to be associated with filthy PC beggars. Plus Mac users only play 25-year-old games on their $2000 machines to be ironic. (jk)

#7 7 months ago
  8. Panthro

@Digital Bamboo

You joke but you know you right ;)

#8 7 months ago
  9. Arnvidr

@Digital Bamboo It’s irrelevant if someone will do that mistake, it’s a mistake that shouldn’t be able to be made. I’m guessing it’ll die out on its own though, with more and more games now being on all three platforms (and consoles, but that’s beside the point).

If the Apple diehards want to play games on their Macintosh Personal Computers or not that’s irrelevant too. Using PC and Windows as interchangeable terms is not correct however you want to look at it.

#9 7 months ago
  10. deathm00n

@Arnvidr Now I get what you were saying. And I agree.

#10 7 months ago