PS4 sales pass 6 million worldwide, 370k in Japan so far, Sony confirms

Tuesday, 4th March 2014 08:02 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 global sales have passed 6 million units since launching across territories in November. It is now available in 57 countries.

It follows the console’s release in Japan, a launch we covered extensively here.

Sony sent us a press release today to confirm the milestone, and stated that the figure includes the sale of 370,000 PS4 units in Japan since it launched February 22.

PS4 software sales have now hit 13.7 million units worldwide, covering both boxed and digital sales. The format now features over 30 titles. Killzone: Shadow Fall has shifted 2.1 million units to-date.

Sony also touted future releases Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, The Order: 1886, #Driveclub (now being stylised with the hashtag), The Witness, Kingdom Hearts 3, Watch Dogs and March’s first-party release inFamous: Second Son.

The company also stated that over half of all PS4 users are now PS Plus subscribers, and that as of March 2, Sony’s official PlayStation App has been installed on mobile devices 3.6 million times.

In sharing, PS4 users have shared over 100 million images and videos, along with more than 3.6 million Twitch and Ustream broadcasts.

An attached statement from Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment reads, “I am absolutely delighted that PS4 is off to such a great start in Japan,” said Inc. “The responses we have received for the PS4 system’s integrated social capabilities have been phenomenal, and I couldn’t be more thrilled that gamers are utilizing these unique features to engage, share, play and connect with users around the world. SCE will continue to expand the world of PlayStation by growing its library of breakthrough games and bringing more innovative features and services only possible on PS4.”

1. loveaya

I haven’t seen a reason to buy a PS4 even if I’ve got one. I think of selling it at a higher price maybe. :>

#1 8 months ago
  2. The_Red

Great news for Sony. Hopefully these numbers keep coming.

@loveaya Well, right now there is no must-have game for it but if you want the best version of Assassin’s Creed 4 or Battlefield 4 WITHOUT having to pay for a strong PC, the PS4 is a reasonable console for 400 bucks.
    It’s much prettier than PS3/360 and a lot cheaper than a powerful PC. Of course the moment Naughty Dog, SSM, Ready At Dawn and thatgamecompany’s titles arrive, none of the other stuff will matter.

#2 8 months ago
  3. loveaya

@The_Red I never bought any console at its launch except this time PS4. Basically i’ve plenty of games to play on PS3 and PSV but if any game in future has 2 versions i’ll definitely buy PS4 version like Evil Within.

Before PS4′s launch i’ve decided to buy one when Uncharted 4 comes out but i was lucky to buy a PS4 in US as you know the lack of stock.

As i grow older, i’ve fewer time to play video games that’s sad because i’ve got many consoles but i can only focus on PS3 now. I think of buying a XBOX or WII because i like vintage consoles, but the fresh consoles like X1, PS4 or WIIU, not really make me maniac.

#3 8 months ago
  4. fihar

“#Driveclub (now being stylised with the hashtag)”

Oh God, seriously? This is sad.

#4 8 months ago
  5. fengato

@loveaya BF4 (despite some hiccups) has definitely made my PS4 purchase worthwhile. Despite the small install base, more people are playing BF4 on PS4 than any other system (by a significant margin). If you like shooting stuff, it’s a great place to be.

#5 8 months ago
  6. MFBB

@loveaya and thats the right thing to do, dont buy until you have a reason to.

Which means, games you want to play.

I think I ll buy one around christmas 2014, there should be some special offers/cheaper and exclusives I want to play like Infamous/The Order/Rime/Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture/Shadow of the Beast???…can be bought for like 10-25Euro instead of the full release price.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Dragon

Officially the highest selling next-gen console now. Well done.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Imperius

Good job Sony! Now just give us the DLNA media hub like the PS3 and I’ll be a happy man!

#8 8 months ago
  9. RickGames

Sony always has my money, they have always provided with the best exclusives in gaming, so i will buy one next year when i have more cash.
    Nintendo will never have my money, unless its a portable console and rpgs are just flooding to it like the DS.
    MS… i really dont enjoy the FPS’s and they are pushing titanfall like its a miracle… start with making other games with a good story and im in.

#9 8 months ago
  10. mistermogul

@loveaya – I don’t get people like you. Did you get caught up in the launch hype and made a PS4 impulse buy?

Surely you knew at the time of launch the games that would be available and those coming in the months after? Did you expect some killer games that were not announced to be released as a surprise?

What I’m getting at is why bother buying a PS4 knowing the games for it are “not reason to buy a PS4″ and consider selling it a few months after buying it?

The console will have a long life with lots of awesome games. Look at the bigger picture of your investment, not the immediate present.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Legendaryboss

@fihar DOOMED!

Seriously? All this without any major exclusives? My god!

#11 8 months ago
  12. s3ltzer

Well, what do you know….it’s funny how successful a product is when a company listens to the customer. Sony has provided a superior and less expensive product in comparison to the competition, and the acceptance is undeniable.

Unlike MSFT who chose to shove down a half-assed bundled accessory in the Kinect, nickel and dime it’s customers ($25 here, $25 there), put in place ridiculous policies (non-replaceable HDD, XBL paywall)….MOST customers are not stupid or ignorant.

#12 8 months ago
  13. loveaya

@mistermogul No, i just wanted an EU version PS4, that’s all. The truth is that i don’t really need a PS4 for now. I’d like to sell it to a player who really wants a PS4. Selling it at a higher price is just a joke for fun.

I bought my PS4 casually….

#13 8 months ago
  14. Djoenz

@loveaya
    Just keep it bud. Hold on to it. Great games coming out soon.

#14 8 months ago