Kojima – MGS5 will prove to younger-gen high-end games are still worth playing

Tuesday, 4th March 2014 21:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Metal Gear Solid maestro Hideo Kojima feels the popularity of social and mobile gaming with the younger generation has pulled interest away from high-end games, specially in Japan.

ground zeroes snake mgs5

Speaking in an interview with GamesTM, Kojima said with MGS5, he wanted to prove to the younger generation that high-end games are still worth playing.

“We’ve seen a phenomenon around the world,” Kojima said. “Young people are losing interest in high-end games and focusing on mobile and social titles, especially in Japan.

“I wanted to show people that Japanese high-end games are Ground Zeroesg and that big Japanese games still have a future.”

He also touched upon splitting Ground Zeroes and the Phantom Pain into two releases.

“I’ll be honest, it wasn’t necessarily a strategic move. The Phantom Pain is roughly 200 times bigger than Ground Zeroes,” Kojima explained.

“A game that big wouldn’t be ready for next-gen launch windows, and we didn’t have any Japanese titles that would be available. At that time, the Ground Zeroes portion was almost complete and a lot of fans were asking for a prologue, so that’s the decision we came to. That was the reasoning behind the move.”

Ground Zeroes launches on March 18 for PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. The Phantom Pain is expected later.

1. Hcw87

So he wants the ”younger generation” to play M rated games? The fuck?

What a weird-ass statement.

#1 5 months ago
  2. salarta

… Does the younger generation need to have this proven to them when so many of them are currently sexing our moms in the middle of playing Call of Duty? :P

#2 5 months ago
  3. kingy

@Hcw87 Kojima is 50 or nearly 50 so younger generation is 18 to 20s to him that’s how I took it …but at firs I thought the same thing

#3 5 months ago
  4. TheWulf

Yep, I was just about to point out that the ‘younger generation’ is actually older in Japanese culture, too. That the idea that you get old at 25 is a very Western thing. Even less of a European thing, honestly. More of an American thing that’s sadly spreading to the UK. (It annoys me.)

So in Japanese culture, anyone up to about 30 could be in the ‘younger generation.’ I’m guessing Hcw is American.

#4 5 months ago
  5. Panthro

@Hcw87
    @Kingy

I was playing MGS on the PlayStation when I was 4, I had a blast then and still have a blast with it every now and again now, the MGS series are timeless games to me and this one ‘may’ be no different…

I do agree that I consider 4 years old to be a tad bit young to be playing MGS though, but I cannot be a hypocrite and condemn and kids from acquiring a copy… my parents were strict about Silent Hill though, they didn’t hide it all to well… I just had to look on top of their wardrobes to find it and played it whenever I knew they weren’t going to barge in on me (I was a sneaky ass kid).
    But MGS has pretty much shaped my love for espionage games ever since, it just shows how playable Kojima and his teams can create a game really.
    Kids are always going to get a hold of M rated games and I would prefer my nephews to be playing games like MGS over the usual garbage like Call Of Duty.

#5 5 months ago
  6. kingy

@Panthro Wow 4 I would not of been able to get my head around metal gear I was about 14 -15 on Playstation and I thought it was the best thing I had ever played still love the games now and can’t wait to play the new games , I’ve got 3 young kids and like your parents I think it’s up to me to decide what games they can and can’t play the older metal gears I wouldn’t mind them playing so much but the new ones I’m not so sure about ,games are so much more realistic now from when we were young as far as silent hill horror games scare the crap out of me and I’m in my 30s so they won’t be playing games like that lol

#6 5 months ago