Vessel – indie liquid physics-based puzzler releasing on PS3 in March

Wednesday, 26th February 2014 20:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Vessel, the liquid physics-based title from Strange Loop Games, has been give a March release date for PlayStation 3.

Vessel

In the game, players take on the role of inventor Arkwright who has created living machines made out of a liquid called “Fluros”. They are causing issues around the glove and you need to sort the problem and figure out the “mystery of what they’re becoming.”

All the creatures are liquid and can melt, reshape, go through barriers, re-grown appendages, combine with multiple fluid types, and more.

Puzzles are based on interactions with the liquid and the player has the ability to create and destroy these creatures.

The soundtrack was was composed with Jon Hopkins (has worked with Brian Eno, Imogen Heap, and Coldplay), and as players unlock a puzzle, pieces of the soundtrack will unfold and layer on top of each other

Vessel contains over 10 hours of content across multiple worlds, and to celebrate the game’s console launch, the team has created a mock Vessel turbine, containing “a real live Fluro that responds to magnetic fields,” and if you order the desk toy you will get a key for the game on PS3 and PC free.

The toy contains a blob of Ferrofluid, a “liquid composed of tiny nano-magnets that spike up and follow any nearby magnetic fields.” Sounds rather fun.

Vessel was released on PC in 2012 and lands on PS3 March 12.

1. TheWulf

Those with Sony hardware should buy this, too! It’s very clever, it’s a good puzzler in its own right, but it also has a rather great story pertaining to how we treat other life forms. Especially those alien or foreign to us.

If you’re like me and you quite enjoy it when your games don’t treat you like an imbecile, then this, along with The Swapper, are games to have. And cherish.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Joe Musashi

Vessel and The Swapper are both good games.

However, if you are like TheWulf then you should be seeking professional help, not playing videogames or posting reams of flawed narcissistic text on the internet.

JM

#2 10 months ago
  3. NinjaMidget

@2 +1

#3 10 months ago
  4. Telepathic.Geometry

Sweet, this looks right up my alley! ^_^ And I guess I should look into the Swapper while I’m at it…

#4 10 months ago
  5. TheWulf

Wow. Some people have sensitive egos in that they’re threatened by anonymous Internet personas. Plus, it’s very telling of a person’s lack of overall higher functioning when they have such a tenuous grasp on the English language. For example, the misuse of narcissism would be hilarious if it weren’t a bit sad. It’s often misused by the same people who can’t quite tell the difference between literally and figuratively, also oblivious to the meaning of irony.

I’d suggest research into the actual meaning of narcissism, as I’ve often admitted my own flaws. Also, a narcissist wouldn’t exactly be against an Aryan ideal, which just goes to show how deep this particularly stream of idiocy flows. I think the word the lesser minds are looking for here is egomaniac. Which, yes, I admit I can be. And with good reason. I don’t often see self awareness shown by those I’m forced to argue with.

In fact, it’s a lack of self awareness that’s linked to narcissism. So you may want to look to your nearest mirror to find an example of that. It implies a shallowness, a lack of empirical thought, of emotional and cognitive awareness that I pride myself on. A narcissist is a very one-dimensional beast who’s incapable of this kind of insight, preferring instead to throw around words like ‘narcissism’ not unlike how a monkey would throw their own faeces.

So, yes. I have a bigger ego than you, but that’s simply a run off of how I’m smarter than you. It’s generally well deserved. So, again, I’d advise a little research on what narcissism means. I mean, I’m sure you think it’s clever, but to someone who actually understands the word, it’s just embarrassing. I’m embarrassed for you.

I’ve met people smarter than myself and I’ve been humbled by them, I’ve wanted to learn from them, listen to them. If I don’t want to listen to you, it’s probably because you have nothing worthwhile to say.

Which, I’m sure, is going to make you stalk me around the Internet screaming ‘narcissist’ at me, hoping it’ll stick.

Good luck!

Don’t jump on that bandwagon. It’s filled with backwoods hicks, incest, and fleas.

#5 10 months ago
  6. TheWulf

With that nasty business out of the way…

Please do. If you’ve ever stopped to ask yourself anything, ever, at any point in your life rather than just being a shallow puddle of putrid meaninglessness, you owe it to yourself to at least give them a go. They’re clever. How much you’ll appreciate them beyond just as games will be inextricably linked to how clever you are, by comparison.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Telepathic.Geometry

Just had a look at The Swapper there, which is apparently coming to PS4 soon. It took me about 4 seconds to know that I’d love this game. It seems that the best thing about PS4 is that ports of existing PC ‘indie’ games is easy and financially viable. Yay! ^-^

#7 10 months ago