Valve will now permit developers to put titles on sale themselves through Steam.
In the past, developers and Valve had to work together on when to post sales or discounts.
The new option was noticed by a Reddit user through the private Steamworks Development forums.
Valve will now allow developers to discount titles for custom sale periods or opt in to take part in upcoming weeklong sales. Once configured, the discounts will automatically start at the time specified.
Developers can currently configure these types of discounts for a title:
- Weeklong Deals: If you wish to participate in an upcoming weeklong deal, you can select from the upcoming promotions, up to two months ahead of time. You will then just need to enter your desired discount percentage.
- Custom Discount: You can also configure your own custom discount amount and date, up to two months in advance. You will be asked to enter in the dates it should run, up to a two-week maximum, and the percentage to discount by.
- To configure your own discount: First, navigate to the landing page for the product you intend to discount by selecting the product from your Steamworks home page.
- On the landing page, you will see a section of store packages listed near the top.
- Select the package you wish to discount.
- On the package detail page, click ‘Edit discounts’ in the package pricing section.
- You will be taken to a page that shows current pricing, past discounts, any scheduled upcoming discounts, and let you create a new discount for that package.
- If you have multiple packages that sell your product (such as a deluxe edition pack), you will need to configure the same discount for each package.