Xbox One: Kinect-less bundle “not in our plans at all,” says Eagle

Tuesday, 25th February 2014 11:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s RRP price includes a Kinect-flavoured mark up, and you’re currently out of luck if you don’t want to pay for one, but Microsoft’s Harvey Eagle has made clear that there’s no plans to release the console without it.

20131008_kinect_xbox_one

It follows confirmation that Xbox One Twitch streaming will launch on March 11.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Xbox UK marketing chief Eagle said, “[A Kinect-less Xbox One] is not in our plans at all. As we’ve said from the very beginning, we believe Kinect is an absolutely integral part of the Xbox One experience.”

Eagle cited the Xbox One’s Upload Studio video and image suite, which uses Kinect to record commentary and for other functions.

He stressed, “Look at all the thousands and thousands of game clips that have been posted by gamers to Upload Studio, of their gaming highlights, captured by speaking the words ‘Xbox record that’, which has already become part of Xbox vocabulary. It’s a really great example of how Kinect makes the experience on Xbox One even better.”

It’s one feature that – while using Kinect as an integral cog – doesn’t necessarily underline the device’s importance to the overall Xbox One experience. We’ve noticed a few gamers out there echoing this sentiment, and Eagle was keen to make clear that games using Kinect more deeply are in the works, and due to be revealed around E3.

He explained, “Obviously E3 is a key moment in time where we’ll make a bunch of announcements about what’s coming up in the months ahead of E3, and particularly for Christmas. So expect to hear much more from us at E3.

“We’ve made announcements about games we’re very excited about. Project Spark is going to be a very interesting game. I’d also mention Sunset Overdrive, which is looking very interesting. There’s a very strong pipeline of games coming in the future. Titanfall is the one on the nearest horizon and everyone is rightly excited about that.”

What do you make of Kinect? Are you not bothered, or are you excited to see how it develops.

1. Joe Musashi

Buying console with over-priced, under-utilised gizmo “not in our plans at all” say consumers.

JM

#1 9 months ago
  2. CycloneFox

Microsoft sure has a deathwish for the Xbox One…

I understand, they HAVE TO stick to their vision of the Xbox One. Problem is, what they envisioned as the Xbox One is not what the gamers want at all. But if Microsoft believes in their vision, they should just do it, regardless of the feedback. If they really believed, an all-digital, camera controlled console is the future, they should have done that, instead, they chose to do an 180° with the all-digital stuff but still kept the camera. Now they can’t go away from the camera and also can’t go all-digital, but try to satisfy customers while shooting their own ad campaing.
    If they want to make money with it, they should have left the Kintect stuff like they left the all-digital-stuff and just make a good console. But that is over for now. PS4 is the better console for multi-platform titles, will have the better first party and third party support, like in the past three generations, will have more japanese support, offers more for indi-developers and even offers optional camera-stuff. It just fits the pattern, what gamers need alot more.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Bejito81

@CycloneFox well their vision is wrong, so I can’t speak for Microsoft (god knows Americans stick to everything they do even when they know it is totally wrong)
    BUT normal people change their vision when they see it is wrong

they don’t want to sell us the X1, well good for them, we’ll have more games on PS4 and we’ll keep some money for something else

#3 9 months ago
  4. Fin

Er, ever dealt with a Japanese company?

#4 9 months ago
  5. Dog4life

If they only left out that Kinect, and invested more in the GPU….

#5 9 months ago
  6. super3001

Good. Xone should never be sell without kinect.

Sales are tracking above 360 sales and breaking xbox sales records so customers want kinect. No need to ever remove it.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Docker Al

I’ve never plugged the useless piece of shit in and never will. The XB1 will get a workout when Titanfall arrives, but apart from that all my gaming will be on the PS4. And I was 360 all the way last gen. Microsoft are a bunch of arse-clowns.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Major Mayhem 70

I find it humorous that all the negative remarks about the Kinect are from those that don’t have an Xbox One. Obviously it’s your choice not to purchase an Xbox One due to the fact that a Kinect comes with the X1, the higher price tag than its competitor and the system isn’t as powerful as the PS4.
    I for one thoroughly enjoy my purchase and I am glad that Microsoft is standing by their vision. I own a PS4 as well and I’ve come to recognize the strength and weaknesses of both consoles. As far as the Kinect is concerned, I find it to be one of the Xbox Ones strengths. I will admit that starting out was a bit rough, but once I got past the learning curve, I can’t imagine not having the Kinect. As updates continue to improve on Microsofts third iteration of the Xbox, I know that things will continue to improve on what I believe is an impressive piece of hardware. My opinion of course, but an opinion that I stand behind. @3 I guess that’s just the American in me. Free to support my opinion when others think it’s wrong.

#8 9 months ago
  9. OlderGamer

Seems a subject that keeps coming back up. Sunk by Kinect. If the price goes sub 300usd, I will prolly buy one. So long as I can discard the Kinect at that point. But I will be damned if I spend extra money for it when I don’t want it.

MS sold a lot of Kinects last gen, but did they ask people how many of them that bought the Kinect actually used it long term? Mine got put back into the box shortly after I bought it. It is still there to this day. I don’t blame them for trying something new, but when so many call for you to stop peddling it, would make sense to me to stop forcing it into homes.

Just throw your hands in the air with a shrug and a smile….then offer X1 at a lower price without Kinect. I think more people will buy one then.

#9 9 months ago
  10. OneLifeCycle

@super3001 Except for this one. I was loyal to the XBox brand since day one. But that all changed when they wanted to force me into their motion/voice gaming/navigation stuff at an additional price at the expense of a less powerful GAMING CONSOLE over all.

I LOL’d and bought a PS4.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Legendaryboss

Then a consideration of purchase is off the table until they eventually 180 this, its optional therefore it doesn’t necessarily have to stay in the box because Xbox One can function without it contrary to what we were otherwise told.

#11 9 months ago
  12. OneLifeCycle

@Legendaryboss That is correct. They’re just being stubborn and don’t really want to admit that the XBox will function without it… I mean, they finally did, after first stating it would not. I don’t get this damn Kinect love to the point of making a clearly optional accessory, mandatory. It’s just flat out stupid business is costing them customers.

#12 9 months ago
  13. JB

The Xbox 360 sold 80 million units and The Kinnect for 360 sold 24 million units.

Does that scream “The people love Kinnect, so let`s make it mandatory” to anyone but Xbox-One apologists.

?

#13 9 months ago
  14. fearmonkey

As JM says, buying an Xbox one isnt in my plans any time soon either.

#14 9 months ago
  15. antraxsuicide

@JB Uh, a 25% adoption rate (it’s closer to 33% when Kinect launched; they’ve sold more 360′s since then) is a very good attach rate for a peripheral.

Overall, Kinect is mandatory. There’s just no point in getting into the hardware pissing contest with Sony over GPU and such. None. Yes, the vocal minority online cares, but let me ask you this: when has the powerful contest EVER won a generation? Hasn’t happened in 20 years. People don’t care about power; they care about price and features.

For price, MS will just eat the $100 and sell the X1 at a loss. It’s incredibly common, and this gen marks the first time MS and Sony sold their consoles for a slight profit. It’s absolutely no problem if they drop to a loss to boost sales. Especially since the “runaway” lead that the PS4 has (in double the territories) is a couple million. Sony argued for years that a couple million units was nothing when they were losing to the 360. And they were right; a few million is something that can change in less than a year.

#15 9 months ago
  16. mr_krunchi

@Major Mayhem 70 I completely agree with you. I remember buying the first Kinect just because I’m a gadget fanatic. It didn’t take long for me to get over it. After contemplating about the Xbox One with Kinect 2.0, I decided to risk buying it and I’m so happy I did. Kinect 2.0 is such a huge improvement to the first gen and I understand exactly why Microsoft is keeping it bundled with the X1. Its funny because it isn’t really even the camera that I use (although, if I’m sitting in my bed, its convenient to just raise my hand up and select things without the controller). It’s the voice commands and IR blaster that make me wish every system offered this. This doesn’t mean I’m hating on the PS4. I’m just super impressed with the features I’ve seen with X1 & Kinect and it’s something gamers need to try out before they judge the bundle. Then again, I’m one of those gamers that likes to watch Netflix/Hulu/Twitch a lot, so that’s probably why I enjoy the Kinect so much.

#16 9 months ago