Bethesda’s next game reveal is “gonna be a while,” says Howard

Wednesday, 19th February 2014 11:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Fallout 4 rumours continue to weave their way through the fabric of our news feeds, but whatever Bethesda has in development, you won’t be seeing it for some time.

You may recall that alleged documents leaked out of a Fallout 4 casting call in December. The papers seemed to confirm the game’s Boston setting along with other potential story nuggets.

Now; in an interview with RPS, Bethesda’s game director Todd Howard reflected on last year’s notorious Fallout 4 reveal hoax.

Howard said, “The ARG was very, very well done. It’s a testament to our fans. And they’re doing that stuff and making mods. The stuff they do, we often look at and go, ‘Well, why don’t we just do that? That’s really great.’”

When asked about the existence of Fallout 4 and the aforementioned casting call, Howard replied, “We don’t [have a timeframe for our next game announcement], but I think it’s gonna be a while. We’ve gotten fairly used to all the questions and curiosity over the years. Everyone wants information. Right now, we’re just trying to figure out which of our ideas are going to stick and finding an appropriate time to talk about it.”

He added, commenting on new consoles, “PC is resurgent. Skyrim did better than we’ve ever done on PC by a large, large number. And that’s where the mods are. That feeds the game for a long time. And it’s exciting that the new consoles are very PC-like. That opens up avenues for us going forward to do things that we’ve wanted to do in the past.

“There are kind of random ideas we’re working on right now, and it’s like, ‘Wow, I think there’s potential here to do some really cool stuff.’”

Are you hungry for some next-gen Fallout? Let us know below.

Via OXM.

1. Edo

Well fuck.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Talkar

If Bethesda is just the publisher and not the dev on the Fallout 4, then yeah i’m excited for it!
    If however they are developing it too, like they did Fallout 3, then i’m not really sure the franchise can take such massive hits as they gave it with Fallout 3 :/

#2 5 months ago
  3. deathm00n

@Talkar Yeah, bash them for being able to make Fallout a mainstream game and allowing the franchise to ressurect from the old isometric rpg. Really, I don’t get you people. They had no idea how to make that awesome isometric rpg appeal to new audiences, what they tried? Make a FPS using the freedom of an ES game, and they succeded, the game sold a lot. Was it perfect? No, but as I said, it’s hard to change a series genre all of a sudden. With the critcs the game received, Obsidian made the fixes (that’s what they did, because the game is basically the same from a technical standpoint, same UI, same graphics, same mechanics). Do you really think they would throw away all the work from Obsidian? You can say what you want about Bethesda, but they know how to make a game, and seeing that NV appeal a lot more to people, they can make a game on its bases.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Mr Sparkle

Playing through Skyrim again right now and if them taking their time means a less buggy game, take all the time you need.

#4 5 months ago
  5. TheWulf

I hope that Fallout 4 does more to capture the original fantastic nature of the Fallout Universe. Old World Blues came so close to reminding me why I enjoyed those games so much in the first place.

And having replayed Fallout 2 and Tactics again lately, I’ve remembered how diverse of a place it is, too. It’s a shame only the super mutants and ghouls survived, honestly. There were interesting mutants in general (like the chap who had a tree on his head), the robots were more intelligent and self aware, and you had a variety of different species that could think for themselves. Not to mention that the science was weird and wild.

I tend to look at 3 as a more muted experience for the mainstream, and it is such a pity. I feel that they should have done better because they were clearly aware of Tactics, their Brotherhood even commented on it. You even get a giant robot, but that’s just used to scream about communists and shoot things, which is disappointing. I admit, they did put it to slightly better use in Broken Steel, but still…

Old World Blues was an almost Fallout experience, it came so close. So, so close. The magic of Fallout is that it’s so silly and out there, so random and novel, and yet so completely human and poignant. And that’s exactly what Old World Blues was, OWB left me emotionally attached to a bunch of household appliances, which had me pick up sticks and move all my stuff from my (really good) Goodsprings schoolhouse modded home, and put down there.

I especially liked the grumpy old field medic of an Autodoc. He was better at being Bones than Bones was at being Bones. And then there’s Muggy, I felt so bad for Muggy that I just collected as many mugs for him as I could.

But yeah. OWB came that close to recapturing the vibrant variety of Fallout, I couldn’t help but love it, and I was very sad when it was over. I was even such a big fan of the stealth suit, which was so sad when it thought it had done wrong. I love that stealth suit.

So if we are having another Fallout game, can it be like Old World Blues instead of like Fallout 3?

Also, I’d love to see a return of the intelligent deathclaws, because if you’ve an ounce of imagination, that could be written really well. A good writer could have so much fun with a society of deathclaws, but knowing Bethesda, they wouldn’t be able to handle that. Still…

I can’t help but live in the past, though, with Fallout because 2 and Tactics were OWB but better, and anyone who hasn’t played them is doing themselves a gross disservice. Really, grab the Fallout 2 Restoration Project and play it.

I want what’s been so forgotten about Fallout to come back. Fallout was never just a post apocalyptic wasteland, it was an incredible post-post-post apocalyptic wasteland filled with wonder and strangeness.

#5 5 months ago
  6. TheWulf

(Also, out of curiosity, I just looked up who wrote the appliances. It was Travis Stout, goddamnit. I want a game where Travis is the lead writer. Fallout or not, I don’t care. He needs to lead some project or other.)

#6 5 months ago
  7. Talkar

@deathm00n Working alot on assumptions there i see. Must work great for you when you control both sides of the argument eh?

#7 5 months ago
  8. deathm00n

@Talkar Just like you are assuming a fallout made by Bethesda wouldn’t be good. Show me your opinions why the next won’t be good if made by them besides Fallout 3 doesn’t being great for you. The Wulf made some good points there.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Ode

Fallout 4 VGA 2014 announcement,Fall 2015 release.

You read it hear folks.

#9 5 months ago
  10. Ode

here*

#10 5 months ago
  11. the Bridgeburner

The fact that Obsidian’s not behind this I know I’m already disappointed. Bethsoft are horrible at writing.

On the other hand, I feel Bethesda are good at conveying ‘implied’ stories through the environments they create. But dialogue and plot? 3′s story was a bastard child of 1 & 2.

“It’s post-apocalyptic, water’s at a premium!”
    “We need a suitable threat, bring in the Enclave!”

So much fail.

Then New Vegas came out, and though not perfect, remains MY Fallout 3. As it picked up the West Coast storyline and added genuine characters. I only hope Obsidian gets another chance to do a follow-up game, post-4.

#11 5 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

I wonder what is taking so long then.

Howard mentioned that two games would use the same engine as Skyrim, Skyrim and what came after, and Skyrim released in 2011. They had a small sub team do most of the DLC, and work should have started on the next project after Skyrim shipped.

I wonder if they are bumping up the engine more than what was originally thought, or if the game’s scope is more ambitious. I figured that we would have a new Fallout game by fall of this year, which is three years after Skyrim. Maybe they are allowing more time because they don’t want anything to compete with TESO this year.

Hurry it up guys, Im dying for a new Bethesda game.

#12 5 months ago
  13. karma

I can wait. Got nothing else to play in the meanwhile, but I can wait.

Seriously though, hurry guys!

*Horrible game thought of the day* Gawd I hope they dont pull a Elders Scroll Online with it.

#13 5 months ago