World of Warcraft level 90 boost pops up on live servers for $60 — possible error

Tuesday, 18th February 2014 20:37 GMT By Phil Owen

While those who pre-purchase World of Warcraft’s Warlords of Draenor expansion will get one level 90 boost — which can be applied to any characte rto take it to max level — for free, additional boosts were always going to be available to players to buy. That time may have come, as WoW Insider has spotted the boosts in the game market for a whopping $60.

However, the site notes that since the boosts for pre-orders — which are to go out before the expansion hits — haven’t been made available and this week’s patch notes don’t mention the boost, the listing may be an accident with an inaccurate placeholder pricing. So who knows?

1. Panthro

I never understand why people pay for this crap even in weird circumstances…

Isn’t it all the fun to trek about, grinding to level up your character?

It’s like paying for a save file; or even worse paying for a GOD MODE cheat to just breeze through the game, pointless imo.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Darkfield

The price probably is due to the fact that it is just there for test, it probably will be on par with other character services like faction change, realm change, name change…

@1 well WoW soon will be having 100 levels, it’s a lot to grind specially for returning characters who might not even have a lvl 70, if they were interested in the dated content they’d have been there when those content were current. It’s the problem with WoW, everything content becomes irrelevant once the next expansion arrives. Not to mention there are no side attractions or distractions while leveling. You quest or queue for an instance, nothing more to be done, it gets tedious and boring at the speed of light.

#2 10 months ago
  3. TheWulf

Is grinding levels in MMOs ever fun? And it all depends on how it works.

If the system is designed to be broken, then it works in their favour. See, consider the end-game as gated. To reach that gate, you have to progress through content that isn’t fun. When the next campaign begins, the prior content that was fun is no longer fun, now it’s just ‘part of the grind.’

So people pay their monthly subscription to get to ‘where the fun is,’ or supposedly is. The behavioural control systems in place (reward schedules, et cetera) keep them going for a little while. Along the way, they meet people and get involved in guilds and social cycles (yes, cycles, not circles). They pick up obligations to do things as a group. Roleplay together. Hit the end-game together. Raid together.

So, let’s say that the beginning of the game is getting less appealing to the point where profits are dropping off, but the marketing and social engineering is still going strong? Then you take a risk. $60 is equal to about four or five months of subscription, I believe, which is what it would take a person to get there, anyway.

So you offer the option.

Skip directly to the fun stuff! Raid TODAY! Play the end-game NOW!

The problem is is that you wouldn’t get so many people hooked because people might decide that it’s a good idea to just skip the grind anyway, so you have to price it so that it would be undesirable to purchase it alongside the rest of the game. $60 would be a good price for that. It’s still a risk, though. But it’s also clever.

It means that a lot of your customers would be willing to pay $60 and continue paying their subscriptions just to get a new character up to 90. So if someone wanted to reroll, for $60 they can. And for the richer folks that like to play MMOs, $60 is pittance. So you could be bringing in hundreds of dollars from a small group of raiding players.

But it’s still a risk. And it makes me wonder if perhaps this is a sign that Blizzard realises that people are catching on to their predatory tactics, so they’re trying new ones to bring in extra surges of money. That they were adding a cash shop initially had me thinking that, but with the inclusion of this, too, I’d imagine that there are some economists/marketing types at Blizzard who’re sweating right now.

It’s fun being perceptive.

But, yes. The reason people would pay for this is to skip the grind to get to where marketing tells them is the ‘fun stuff.’ It’s the fault of marketing for making people believe that the end-game is where the fun is. And it turns into this mess of grinding and power creep, and so on, and so on.

This is why I support games that have horizontal progression. You can just walk on over to ‘the fun stuff’ and play it, without gates. That, to me, isn’t predatory. That’s why I’m more interested in systems that don’t have a vertical barrier to arduously climb over before you can supposedly start having fun.

So, yeah, it’s obvious to me why they’re doing this. I pity the poor saps who’re going to put out hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars on new level 90 characters before they realise that WoW just isn’t fun any more.

Or maybe never was.

#3 10 months ago
  4. TheWulf

Exactly. And that’s great to monetise on. The star of WoW is falling, so Blizzard is using extra forms of predatory income-seeking to wring whatever little money they can from the wallets of their unaware players before the profits just don’t satisfy them any more.

You have to look at this from a shareholder’s point of view, too. They’ve likely been on Blizzard about why they’ve been losing millions of subscribers, and that the money just isn’t what it was. A publically owned company is all about appeasing the shareholders, keeping them satiated, and serving their needs. That’s all it is. All it will ever be.

So this is just the next phase of the slowfall. I’m wondering what they’ll try next. You know, not being a WoW fan, I find this genuinely fascinating to watch. I’d actually love to see a DFA-style documentary of Blizzard’s board room meetings, because I can’t even begin to imagine the drama.

And with other challengers always seeking their crown, the heat is always on.

It’s just a shame that so many people are unaware of predatory business tactics. I mean, up until King started screwing people over with patent and trademark nonsense, no one believed that they could do any wrong. Despite how their major IP (Candy Crush Saga) was so obviously exploitative to someone who’s able to sit back and analyse it, rather than playing it mindless and spewing money in their direction. (Then trying to defend that with cognitive dissonance.)

It’s one of my personal crusades, I guess, to get people to wake up. There are few things I truly hate, but predatory business activities and homogenised Aryan nonsense are near the top.

Why I’m one of the few so actively speaking out about this amazes me.

Do people just sleepwalk through their lives?

#4 10 months ago
  5. Djoenz

@TheWulf
    No you are not the only one who realises this. Unfortunately there are a lot of ppl willing to pay up and even waste their lifes on useless virtual crap.

This is not only on WoW but a lot of MMO’s. At least for those that preordered get it for free aye?

#5 10 months ago
  6. Djoenz

@TheWulf
    It happened to me too. I used to play a mobile trading card game Rage Of Bahamut, f2p but once you are hooked you will pay mad money for great cards and premium nonsense.

The trick is make an addictive game and make it very competitive and also make it social. ( I used to play a browser mmo too but never paid anything there so it can be done properly)

You join you get one or 2 great cards and you will be like nice. (the tease)
    Then you will join a guild or league etc. communicate with ppl and they will show off.
    You are still playing for free not spending a dime.
    As you make progress you will always feel like you are left behind. You want better stuff or show off or you want to aid your fellows.

BAM it has been done. You are willing to pay for virtual crap because you like the people you met etc. That happened to me. I bolted and thought fuck you devs. My league had awesome people (android game) we even discussed tactics on apps outside the game. Hilarious.

I got a message yesterday or so from one of the team members and he is still playing and said to me you need to get back on Rage of Bahamut. I was like seriously dude pff.

Its a devil’s practice. Money scheme.

That browser mmo though was amazing. RTS with knights and farms and battles against eachother. Ingame forum where we discussed strategy attacks,spying. Amazing haha I loved it. FREE. Ofcourse you could buy premium items to speed the process, but never did I have the feeling I needed to do so.

I worked my ass off in that game and gained friendship and comrades in a battle game and did not spent a penny. With games like that we should spend money just to support the devs for making a super game.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Darkfield

@TheWulf Well I can’t say I disagree with you on the business side of things and I agree that WoW’s age has started to show. But as a raider (albeit not as hardcore as I used to be before MoP) I still enjoy the content. This last tier had the hardest normal encounters since the almighty Lich King, I still go and spend hours with pugs on a realm like Kazzak-EU and people fail on killing him. So it still has some of the best end-game content in the genre. But seeing as next-gen MMOs like WildStar are on the horizon I can see WoW would need to dig deep and take extreme measures of survival. I don’t agree with all of the things they do but I’d play as long as it is convenient for me to do so. But I can see myself jumping ships to WildStar cause I can see it has potentials.

But end-game is the fun and it is a subjective term, it’s not enough for you, I can see that and I can understand that. Look at it like this, I raid 3 nights a week for about 3 hours. As someone who has real life responsibilities that sums up the time I can allocate to WoW, and the convenient part for me is it’s satisfying and I am not force to do dailies and shit to have resources and currencies required to get things I want, like Valor Points for gear upgrades, I get those from boss kills. I log in, go raid, meet up my guildies and have a jolly good time doing so.

See, everything doesn’t have to be so grim all the time.

#7 10 months ago