Thief runs at 900p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Tuesday, 18th February 2014 15:30 GMT By Phil Owen

Our cousins at Eurogamer have confirmed with Square Enix that once again a multiplatform release will run at a higher native resolution on the PS4 than on Xbox One, though the difference is slighter here than usual.

20140131_thief

The PS4 version of the series reboot will have a native output resolution of 1080p while the Xbox One will come in at 900p upscaled to 1080p to match what TVs are capable of showing. Both versions of the game will run at 30 frames per second.

“You really need good eyes to see the difference,” game director Nicolas Cantin said, noting that of course the difference between old-gen and new-gen versions is more stark because aside from the resolution thing the Xbox One and PS4 versions are otherwise the same whereas the PS3 and 360 versions are lacking in some effects.

1. Dog4life

O RLY ?

#1 7 months ago
  2. TheWulf

Does it even matter?

#fidelityisworthless

#2 7 months ago
  3. Takeshi

Jesus, should get that new dev kit out soon for devs. Some gamers will get the PS4 version just because of this, but I’m guessing not a lot.

Playing on PC personally.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Panthro

“You really need good eyes to see the difference,”

Nah you just need some real experience with an actual 1080p source.

If so why don’t they also cap the PS4 at 900p and then raise the framerate/ visuals.

#4 7 months ago
  5. OlderGamer

What’s 180p between friends?

Amiright!?

#5 7 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

Who needs actual news when you just compare resolutions?

#6 7 months ago
  7. Joe Musashi

Curious how the drum banged by so many, with such fervor over the last 7 or so years is now, overnight, irrelevant.

If it was so irrelevant it:

a) Wouldn’t merit a news article
    b) Wouldn’t merit commenting on

Stop making it a big deal and it’ll stop being a big deal.

JM

#7 7 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

What would really be news is what other differences between the next gen versions are there. its one thing to have 1080p on PS4, but does it have better antialising, filtering, etc?

$1000 more for a underused camera and a underperforming console….. No thanks. Ill wait for a price drop. I’ll probably get this on PC because I have all the other thief games on Steam.

#8 7 months ago
  9. The_Red

@Ireland Michael
    This IS actual news. When someone pays more than 400 bucks for a console, they deserve to know if they are getting the inferior or superior version (Even if the difference is in few pixels). Sure, it may not matter to you and a lot of gamers but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter at all.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Erthazus

I don’t play games in less then 1080p.If someone thinks that less then that is okay he need’s to see a doctor. Right now.

#10 7 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@Joe Musashi “If it was so irrelevant it:”

Popular =/= relevant.

#11 7 months ago
  12. Madlink

@The_Red I think the problem that some readers are having (and I’ll include myself in this) is that this should almost be par for the course by now; it’s pretty well established that the Xbox One is the weaker system.

That being said, the news is not irrelevant, and like you said, this stuff does matter to some gamers out there.

#12 7 months ago
  13. Joe Musashi

Persistently adding more noise to the ‘resolution’ topic does nothing but raise its profile. Your actions add to its relevance, even if your words protest otherwise.

And reality is not the internet. Just because some have decided what was a popular topic for the last 7 years is now something they no longer care for does not mean their personal view has become a global one.

I think all common definitions of the word ‘perspective’ have some merit here.

JM

#13 7 months ago
  14. Joe Musashi

I should add that I’ve never cared about fidelity beyond a good TV signal. But then I’ve not made comments about “Night and day” differences in things that happen for a fraction of a second for the last few years either.

JM

#14 7 months ago
  15. Dragon

@The_Red,
    It matters to consumers. 360 always had more 3rd game sales because of that reason, and same thing is happening with PS4 now.
    Anyone saying otherwise simply doesn’t know what consumers want or how market works. Rather, I would suggest these are kind of the more important news around here, since they allow consumers to make an informed decision.

#15 7 months ago
  16. Legendaryboss

This is becoming more predictable and sad with each confirmation on each current gen game.

#16 7 months ago
  17. ojinnvoltz

Why do people think fidelity doesn’t matter? If it doesn’t matter, then what’s the point in new consoles and “the power of next-gen” devs keep talking about? If it doesn’t matter, why aren’t we still playing console games at 480p on CRT TVs?

#17 7 months ago
  18. macronia

4k on PC :D

#18 7 months ago
  19. jmg24bad

they should just lower ps4 to 900p and then use the other resources to ramp everything else up lol. Would make the xbox one version look even worse in comparison though.

#19 7 months ago
  20. polygem

this whole resolution debate is just a pool for fanboys to dive into and fight with their little branded water pistols. let them play as long as they enjoy themselves and their faces don´t turn blue. if graphics matter to you, buy a decent pc and pay the price for it…otherwise your argumentation that res matters to you makes zero sense.

#20 7 months ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@Dragon Except the answer is always going to be the same.

Without almost insignificant exception, already know that the more graphical capable version of a game is going to appear on the PS4. It’s not something that needs to be pointed out every single time, and the only reason it is is because it makes for predictable fanbait, which is easy hits.

#21 7 months ago
  22. livewired500

I’m more disappointed in the games not running 60fps than the resolution. If I was a PS4 owner (no compelling reason to as of yet) then I would rather have 900p @60fps than 1080p @30fps. Once I’m 8 feet away from the screen, the resolution becomes less perceptible, but the frame rate doesn’t.

#22 7 months ago
  23. CycloneFox

First: Yes, it is relevant. As the graphical leap to the last gen was pretty big, it was bearable, that most games were actually rendered sub-1080p, but now, that I bought a PS4, which is still a pretty new bit of hardware, I expect it to run all games in 1080p, what I’m used to on the PC for some years now. And of course, you see the difference.

Second: Of course, 900p is pretty near to 1080p, but except for forza, all the important games run sub-1080p on xbox one, while all games run in 1080p on PS4 (As far as I know, Battlefield 4 (XBO:720p/PS4:900p) is receiving a patch on PS4 to run at 1080p), some even at 60fps, while ruinning at 30fps on Xbox One. There is no example counterexample of a game running on 1080p@60fps on Xbox One while running on 30fps or sub-1080p on PS4.

At the beginning of last gen, multi-platform titles mostly looked better on Xbox360, than on PS3, which turned arround towards the end of the generation, where most games looked better on PS3, after developers finnaly learned to develop for the too complex ps3. But there have always been counterexamples of games looking better on ps3, or some effects looking better on one console or the other. so it was always pretty balanced. But this time, the PS4 has a clear advantage. I don’t see any reason for anyone to buy an Xbox One, if you are not an absolute Microsoft fanboy or love to play Kinect games.

#23 7 months ago
  24. dontbescaredhomie92

Suddenly everybody cares about resolution more than the actual game, so fucking sick of these lazy bullshit flame war provoking articles.
    It’s funny you never seem to see the PC resolution mentioned against the other two, enjoying the traffic much VG247?
    This site has gone to shit.

#24 7 months ago
  25. Djoenz

@dontbescaredhomie92
    You Xbots are all the same. Back then PS3 got bashed now XboxOne gets bashed you guys are all whats the big deal.

Hypocrites the lot of you. PC will always stand on top but this is supposed to be next gen consoles. Whats the freaking point if they cant even maintain native full hd. Thats the issue not what looks better on what console whatsoever. Get that in your freaking skull. Dont be scared homie that yo XboxOne focused on media side bullshit.

Deal with it yo.

#25 7 months ago
  26. dontbescaredhomie92

@Djoenz Well I play PC and Xbox one so your point is?

Go look for an argument somewhere else seeing as I already know and agree that the PC is the definitive gaming machine, it’s just that some of us actually have lives and more important priorities outside of spending £1800+ on a high end rig that will lose it’s elitist allure every year so you have to fork out another £400 for the next GTX TITAN XL SUPER MEGA NO LIFE VIRGIN model so you still look “cool” on the gaming forums… move on

#26 7 months ago
  27. Hcw87

”As far as I know, Battlefield 4 (XBO:720p/PS4:900p) is receiving a patch on PS4 to run at 1080p”

Uhm, what? That’s a pretty bold claim, seeing as it’s not mentioned anywhere on the net. Wishful thinking?

#27 7 months ago
  28. Djoenz

@dontbescaredhomie92
    lol side tracked much?
    This isnt about what looks better on which console. PC should never be compared to consoles cause pc will stay on top obviously.

So forget about the what looks better on which console. Forget about pc for a second. Whats left is is the fact that these supposed next gen consoles should at least maintain full hd. Im not even talking about fps. Like most console players ever noticed that anyway.

That was my point.

#28 7 months ago
  29. dontbescaredhomie92

@Djoenz Not at all, you called me out on it not the other way around.
    MY POINT was I couldn’t care less, these are early days in the consoles life, the games that are released are more or less money grabbing ports or rushed to meet the launch date by developers unfamiliar with the systems.
    Chalk that up to ESRAM or the fact Sony got their dev kits out sooner or whatever but when a 180p difference is provoking such an outrage can you honestly tell me it’s not just a tiny bit pathetic?

#29 7 months ago
  30. Djoenz

@dontbescaredhomie92

Ahh I feel ya man. I agree lol.
    Hopefully they will fix this shit soon. I didnt go next gen yet for a reason. Its true that its the early stage of these consoles, but still its disappointing though.

I dont care for visuals myself otherwise I would be on PC. I care for exclusive games personally. Quality games.

#30 7 months ago
  31. dontbescaredhomie92

@Djoenz “Games” exactly what I mean, games are what I care about, doesn’t matter what system if it appeals to me I’ll choose to buy it and currently my money does not stretch to two consoles and weighing up the offerings I went with the X1, I will without a doubt invest in the PS4 as the exclusives build up, infamous is looking amazing for me at the moment.

#31 7 months ago
  32. Doppleganger

@jmg24bad I agree. I find it funny most people think they see a difference on their 46″ or under TV when they sit 6″ or further.
    Add more detail and effects and that would really make the Xbone look bad

#32 7 months ago
  33. Dragon

@Ireland Michael,
    And consumers need to know. It will also prevent fraudulent PR like when FF13 PS3 footage was used in 360 ad.

Its as much a clickbait for fanboys as it is for people proclaiming it doesn’t matter.

#33 7 months ago
  34. kisame

superior inferior it really does not meter last gen ps3 lacked in perforce against any multiplat game that was on xbox 360 witch is worst then resolution
    yet no one stopped peoples from buying it

PCGamer posted some extreme size screenshot of the first tomb raider didn’t it look better? i don’t thing so

#34 7 months ago
  35. OneLifeCycle

But the XBone can do so much more… Like switch between cable TV and music and social networking via NSA-approved vocal gestures!!!

Pretty much a lot of stuff gamers don’t give a shit about. Yay!

#35 7 months ago