The Elder Scrolls Online: hitting level 50 takes up to 150 hours, say play-testers

Tuesday, 18th February 2014 12:24 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online play-testers reckon it’ll take anywhere between 50 to 150 hours to hit the MMORPG’s level-50 cap.

It follows my beta impressions of The Elder Scrolls Online PvE and PvP components.

Now; in a Reddit thread a Tamriel Foundry writer revealed that it took them about 144 hours to hit the level 50 cap over three weeks of ‘casual’ play.

Another player stated that it took them about 70-80 hours with plenty of skipped dialogue to speed things up, while another reckons they did it in about 54 hours.

Play-testers have suggested that experience gain speeds up after hitting level 30, and from my own experience it gets pretty slow around about the level ten mark, so that’s a slight relief.

Hit the Reddit thread to see what more testers thought, and give us your feedback below.

Via PCGamesN.

1. TheWulf

Still too long. Can we all agree that we’re sick of levels by this point? Having a system of customisation based upon horizontal progression, sans levels, is the best way to go about it. Something that’s somewhere between Guild Wars 1 and The Secret World.

Going by the reaction to ESO, though, I think more people agree with me on that than I ever realised.

#1 10 months ago
  2. TheWulf

My mind always keeps coming back to Zelda, honestly, in how it was an open world RPG that never felt the need to tack something as arbitrary on the player as a level. You had a system of horizontal progression, and mechanics where X worked best against Y.

I remember how amazing Link to the Past was, because I could go anywhere, to any temple, but I knew I wouldn’t do as well if I hadn’t found the special tool or weapon that I’d need. I could still go there, though, and I wouldn’t be taken down in a single shot by a Lynx just because the Lynx was arbitrary number 42 and I was arbitrary number 12.

It just feels weird to defeat a boss in an RPG and know that you can then be one-shotted by a forest animal. Why are we not gathering up these forest animals and flooding said boss’s lair with them? Honestly, a lynx could do the job of forty men! Let’s just show a few angry lynxes down there!

I’d like a system where you don’t level, where you have mobs that are either easy or hard because they are, or because you can exploit their weaknesses. For example, have a powerful mob that has a potent elemental weakness. So he’s able to one-shot you unless you found a weapon (from a number of different places) that exploits his elemental weakness.

I just think that we need to be done with levels. They’re the most contrived, convoluted notion of growth ever. I think that a trained warrior doesn’t ever really get any better in that regard, they just get more tools for the job. Look at a spectacle fighter — someone is never less capable with less moves unlocked, they can just do more stuff in different ways.

You can complete Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance without unlocking anything, but unlocking stuff gives you different ways of tackling problems. This is how RPGs should be, frankly.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Meatball

150 hours? In MMO terms, that’s nothing. They’ll probably have people complaining about lack of content within a month of release. As long-winded as TheWulf is, I think I’m with him on horizontal progression on this one ;)

#3 10 months ago
  4. Hcw87

Stop comparing MMO’s to RPG’s/other genres. Without levels, MMO’s have NO longterm life whatsoever. People need to have something to work towards, a character to progress. With no levels to pursue, no gear to aquire, why keep playing for hundreds of hours? The only reason MMO’s are so popular is because people allways have something to do, which wouldn’t be the case if you didn’t have levels, gear or reputation systems for example.

It seems to me that you want a multiplayer/co-op RPG, which is not what an MMO is. It’s much more complex than that, and it needs to be, in order to have a big playerbase.

It’s a reason TSW/GW2 etc weren’t popular for long. There was nothing to pursue end-game wise. You’d experienced pretty much everything on offer way before you hit the max level.

Proper MMO’s start their life when you reach endgame. The journey to get there is just an added bonus.

#4 10 months ago
  5. fearmonkey

I don’t really care how long it takes, Im there to see the land of Tamriel and enjoy the mass PVP battles. I’m really looking forward to this game and year ago I was pretty meh on it.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Darkfield

@1 There will always be vertical progression in MMORPGs, if they remove levels they’d definately have a substitute in place, like what The Secret World did, you think you don’t have that vertical progression, but you do, instead of dinging every few thousands XPs, you have to grind for skillpoints in order to be able to move on to the next and tougher zones.

removing levels doesn’t even work with Sandbox RPGs, as they might not have PC levels, but you have to train skills and level those in order to be able to build more advance things, pilot more advanced ships, operate more advanced weaponry and etc.

#6 10 months ago
  7. orren

Huge review from a beta tester that’s been playing in the beta for a very long time (level 50):

#7 10 months ago
  8. Meatball

@Hcw87 How is leveling important if so many MMOs with leveling are built so you can race to endgame? So that leveling becomes a minor annoyance on your way to ‘teh epoc lootzzz’? So that WoW is considering selling boosts to max level to let you skip leveling altogether?
    I agree that TSW could have done with more endgame content, but how is it a bad thing that you’ve seen most of the game by the time you get there? If it had levels, the same thing as in WoW happens: you race through using as few zones as you can and once at max level you never go back to all the zones you’ve missed because there’s no point (unless you’re a completionist).
    No, I think an MMO without levels could work. Progress would be measured not with an arbitrary number, but with the amount of skills you have, the enemies you learn to take on as you and your character get better at the game and the better gear you can get as a result of that. Maybe I’ve been playing too much Monster Hunter, but I don’t see a reason why it couldn’t work in an MMO setting.

#8 10 months ago
  9. narukamiyu1000

Elder Scrolls Online is leaked and available to public now… Grab yourself a copy now from this site because I’m pretty sure this website will be taken down very soon! http://elderscrollsonlinedownload.com

#9 10 months ago