Final Fantasy 7 remake: “would take a lot to happen,” says series producer

Monday, 17th February 2014 12:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 7 producer Yoshinori Kitase has poured cold water on remake hopes, stressing that it’d be a tall order.

It follows my massive Final Fantasy anniversary interview with Square’s Motomu Toriyama about his involvement in Final Fantasy 7′s development, how it was made and how his input helped created the games more ‘tearful’ moments. Seriously, read it if you’re a fan.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Kitase said, “I can honestly tell you I would love to do that. If you simply ask me if I personally would like to do that, yes I would. Definitely. There’s no lie about it. But you must believe me when I say it would take a lot to happen.”

Kitase stressed that, “staff availability and budget” were the two biggest factors at play, and added, “Even if I casually say I would like to do that, because it would be a huge project I would have to motivate myself to the level that I really am prepared to take on this huge responsibility

“I don’t know if those three things will happen simultaneously. It has to tick lots of very big boxes. I won’t rule out the possibility, but it would take a lot to make it happen. But should I ever take it on, it would have to be the biggest project I’ve done. My life work. So I would have to be as highly motivated as that to end up with something I’m very happy with. It’s a huge thing for me.”

He’s not wrong; this would be a colossal project.

Would you like to see it happen, or is this best left alone? Let us know below.

1. Tormenter

They just keep harping on about this… It’s probably being made ATM. If they had no intention of reviving it they’d shut up about it because of all the attention it gets.

It WILL be remade at some point.. relatively soon I would imagine.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Blackened Halo

why remake? FF7 doesnt need that, it is still perfect in the state as it has been since 1997 …I want to see new FF games in Cloud for example as main hero, or Squall or Tidus :) but no Lightning, Square Enix please, get rid of her!

#2 10 months ago
  3. Obernox

An HD remaster would be better. Give it a huge visual upgrade, but leave the core gameplay intact.

#3 10 months ago
  4. CyberMarco

I would really like to see a FF7 HD remake as Obernox mentioned.

1) Take FF7 gameplay as it is
    2) Make it look like Advent Children movie, or better yet use FF15 engine.
    3) ???
    4) Profit!

#4 10 months ago
  5. CharlesLupula

I would love to see a FFVII remake with the graphics of FFXV, provided they kept the same battle system. That’d be very important to me. It’d also be very important that they don’t take anything away from the storyline. They should definitely add stuff. References to stuff that happend in Crisis Core, for example. And it should be fully voiced, like XIII was.

But yeah, I’d like to see it very much.

What I’d really like to see would be either a FFVII HD Collection with Crisis Core and Dirge of Cereberus, or a full on FFVII-2 that takes place after the epilogue of Dirge of Cereberus. I feel like there’s a lot of story that they could do from there.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Djoenz

Blablabla if they make it they would turn it into FFXIII flavour.
    It wont happen they have spouted this from the age of beginning. Good God I was on a Final Fantasy Forum for over 4 years and posted news there regularly until I got fed up with SE and its foul FFXIII universe and Lightning obsession..

This is tiresome. Journalists and interviewers shouldnt ask these questions anymore regarding FF7.

#6 10 months ago