Xbox One system update is late: “I don’t have all the details” says Nelson

Friday, 14th February 2014 10:14 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s first major system update hasn’t been dated yet, and Microsoft’s community man Larry ‘Major Nelson’ Hryb has stressed that it’s “too risky” to go spouting ETA dates ahead of time.

It follows confirmation that a second Xbox One multiplayer and party updates are coming in March.

The first update should have dropped by now – February 11 to be precise – and it’s nowhere to be seen. It was supposed to add hard drive management and a battery meter for your controller. Fans are now starting to ask questions.

Over on Reddit, Hryb stressed, “I don’t have all the details. Things are moving quickly and all the teams are working extra hard. I don’t really like giving dates either. Too risky.”

We’ve no idea what’s going on with this one. Microsoft isn’t saying much. As soon as we hear more we’ll let you know.

What do you think?

Via OXM.

1. Fin

Three days late and no word why?

That’s odd.

#1 5 months ago
  2. PuppyInMyPocket

Awe man, I really want to feel this “fix” of the thumb sticks.

#2 5 months ago
  3. tezzer1985

Microsoft need to pull their finger out their ass, cause Xbox One is lagging behind the PS4, and they could do with some good press about the feature set of the console.

Delaying just puts te spotlight on what’s not there.

#3 5 months ago
  4. tmac2011

thats sad lol

#4 5 months ago
  5. KAP

@tezzer1985 Agree. It’s just one thing after another with them since the announcement of last year.

Its getting boring now. Thinking I might just trade mine in.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Dragon

I don’t think people should read too much into it, delays can happen.

#6 5 months ago
  7. schnide

Said the Director of Programming for the Microsoft gaming network Xbox Live and most prominent Xbox community man?!

#7 5 months ago
  8. jonhartman84

@schnide I believe Director of programming is more like content manager, I feel like the director of software, should be in question more than spokes person Major Nelson. Don’t get me wrong I have met him super nice, but doesn’t he seem more like a face for the brand, and less like a actual manager. Just my two cents, not trying to start a war.

#8 5 months ago
  9. schnide

@jonhartman84

He’s one of the most powerful and influential public-facing employees of Microsoft. If he can’t get that information, few people can.

#9 5 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

What do I think? I think Microsoft’s entire gaming division is a shambolic mess right now. That entire department of the company is falling apart.

#10 5 months ago
  11. boiled lobster

Memory management is undoubtedly a core function of the operating system, a chore it is unwilling to share…

Cracking open ring 0 is probably like performing brain surgery — sever the wrong synapses and Xbox is dead. But it shouldn’t be too difficult, as even interns at Microsoft have PhDs.

I think a headier issue are unforeseen security breaches and DRM headaches that may result from shared HDD management.

#11 5 months ago