Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes “not a two hour game”, impressions escape Japanese press event

Thursday, 13th February 2014 09:53 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes was presented to the press at a Konami event over in Nasu, Japan. Members of the press have been tweeting out their thoughts on the game, shedding new light on the release.

DualShockers has been collating the information as it comes, starting with Power Unlimited Editor Samuel Casado who said:

The VG Resource’s Dazz Brown had something to say about Ground Zeroes’ alleged two-hour running time, and suggests that the PS4 edition looks better than its Xbox One counterpart.

Play Magazine’s Sam Smith backed up the game’s running time:

It’s a big info-burst and there’s even more over at DualShockers. What do you think?

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes drops on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One next month.

1. KAP

Yeah, I woke up to all these tweets from Journalists whos played Ground Zeroes also saying the same thing about after 4hrs of gameplay the title screen shows 10% completion. I never, ever doubted Hideo.

I’m expecting a tweet from Kojima saying “..and to does that doubted me after all the great games I’ve blessed you with throughout the years….. FUCK YOU!!!”

…. Any second now……

#1 8 months ago
  2. Blackened Halo

@KAP oh really, well one more thing, so why did Kojima himself admit that the game is short?

#2 8 months ago
  3. killersense

of course it is not. i am hearing 90 minutes as the playtime….

#3 8 months ago
  4. KAP

@Blackened Halo

Do the math, putting in 4hrs for the average gamer to unlock 10% of the game?
    To most with a life (not saying you don’t have one, you understand.), THAT doesn’t sound like a short experience. It sounds like a game with a large amount of replayability,

I’m just saying also pointing out that many are quick to point the finger at Hideo Kojima after he’s proved his point on why hes one of the most prolithic game devs out there, at the age of 50 no less.

Blackened Halo… just give the man the benefit of the doubt bro. He’s most critical of his work and would probably say GZ is short, specially hes the only one that truly knows how massive TPP is right? …. Right? think about it. Short to him, is all relative comparing the two titles. GZ to TPP.

#4 8 months ago
  5. CycloneFox

@Blackened Halo: Because it is short. That’s all. If you think it’s not worth it, you wouldn’t have bought it anyway.

I can see why people are disappointed. The main thing in a MGS is the story. And to learn, that that is only a really short part, instead of having one really long epic tale, is disappointing.

But look at it like that:

The alternative would have been to wait for another year or so to get one longer game with a hard cut in the middle after that you can’t go back to previous side-missions.
    I somehow see more value in two games, where I get the shorter part earlier and KojiPro gets more time to finish and upgrade the second one and am even willing to pay 30-40$/€ for the first part now and add 60€/$ later for the second part in a year or so.

If you just want to play the main story without looking left and right, it will be just the length of a movie. When I go into the cinema with my wife for example, I pay for two cards, plus something to eat and drink, which would have been far cheaper from the supermarket at home and get far above the 30€/$, might even reach 40$/€ for the evening and I don’t get any extras at all. I will get the extras when I liked the movie so much, that I buy it later for about 20-30€/$ on Bluray (or cheaper at discounted prices or used copies. But you will get used copies of MGS even earlier). This game on the other hand gives me more than a movie, I even get extra missions and stuff and it’s all in one package for a similar price.

#5 8 months ago
  6. KAP

@CycloneFox

I agree, I live in the UK and I’m planning to go see RoboCop in the Odeon Cinema. It would cost more for me and the missus to go see that 2hr movie (with popcorn i.e) then to spend £40 for a game that’ll take me 15hrs (estimated) to 100%

People just read articles by others opinions and simply can’t think for them selfs, thats all.

Anyway.. I’m in two minds about tomorrow. Should I:

A. Take missus to see Robocop?
    or
    B. Binge House OF Cards Season 2 in bed with her and popcorn?

#6 8 months ago
  7. YoungZer0

Let’s hope all the optional stuff is not as tedious and boring as it was in Peace Walker.

#7 8 months ago
  8. KAP

@YoungZer0

Crazy lol

#8 8 months ago
  9. Legendaryboss

@YoungZer0 You mad bro?

#9 8 months ago
  10. TERMINATOR-SSD

the whole 9% thing is most prob just stuff like posters and art to find lol.

i dont know about this, it cries out ”CASH IN”. The so called length is not a issue really, mgs is like a film anyway. My issue is the price. This should be packaged as a £5-15 MAX not £20-30. Thats my issue.

#10 8 months ago
  11. deathm00n

@TERMINATOR-SSD One of the tweets said “The game doesn’t play like a standard MGS game in this sense. Several missions, each range from 30 mins to 2 hours.” so I guess it’s more about side missions than collectibles.

#11 8 months ago
  12. salarta

Called it.

With an earlier article with GameInformer’s runtime, I learned from the comments that 1) companies should never do something new, and 2) even though it’s supposedly wrong to judge a game’s story and characterization negatively based on things you can easily see and read without playing the game, it’s perfectly appropriate to judge a game’s gameplay negatively without playing it based purely on one group’s impressions.

@Blackened Halo Kojima admitted that the core campaign is short. That’s much different from saying all meaningful content the game has to offer combined makes the game short. I mean, look at FF4 for a basic understanding. The main game is incredibly short, especially if you know perfectly what you’re doing. Yet there are still extras. You can find and visit a town with pigs and frogs and small people, you can visit the Feymarch and acquire some new summons and items there, you can get Odin and Bahamut in Baron Castle and on the moon respectively, you can find Yang to get a Sylph summon and later a Knife/Spoon (depending on the version).

FF4′s sidequests would amount to I think a few hours, but the point is that these are things that give you both meaningful enhancements and add to the story and world of FF4. You could beat the game without coming across any of that, but it still improves on the experience. And that was back with early 90s video game standards. We’ve come a long way since then.

#12 8 months ago
  13. RocknRolla

@KAP Hey dumbass.. most people only play through the story and they have had enough, yeah yeah I understand ” they are not hardcore MGS fans and blah fucking blah blah … ” 4 hours of story is actually very short for an MGS title.. but I love it nonetheless

#13 8 months ago
  14. salarta

@RocknRolla You’re making the assumption that everything of value having to do with story is wrapped exclusively in 4 hours of gameplay. That may not be the case. I’m not going to say it’s definitely not until I get to actually play the game, since this is actually something that requires playing the game to make such a statement, but it’s very possible that getting the full story requires getting, say, 75% completion while the main “required” campaign is only 10%.

#14 8 months ago