Final Fantasy 15 “quite far into development” says Square

Thursday, 13th February 2014 10:54 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 15 developer Square Enix has confirmed that the project is quite far into development and is being given the highest priority at the company.

It follows these official Final Fantasy 15 character bios, and this gameplay trailer showing off a high-level Noctis in acton.

Speaking with Videogamer, series producer Yoshinori Kitase said, “We can’t give too much information but certainly looking at Final Fantasy XV, it’s not as if it’s in competition with Kingdom Hearts 3 for resources or anything like that.

“It’s quite far into development now and it is being given a very high priority within the company itself, but that doesn’t mean Kingdom Hearts isn’t.”

Further on; Kitase added that while Final Fantasy 15 has had a name change from Final Fantasy 13 Versus, it is still underpinned by the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology.

He continued, “Right from the start when we first it announced it as Versus XIII, the game itself was backed up by the same Crystal legend: the Fabulla Nova Crystallis mythology that underpins the whole of the XIII series. So even though it’s not necessarily the same universe or the same game, they’re all linked and underpinned by the backdrop of that legend.

“Now it’s moved on – obviously the title’s been changed to Final Fantasy XV – but that hasn’t actually changed. The story and the world is still going to be linked and backed up by that. So yes, there is the link between XIII and XV, and they both share that mythology as a backdrop and a starting point.”

Are you looking forward to Final Fantasy 15? Let us know below.

1. KAP

I’m super hyped by 15, specially because the last Final Fantasy I actually bought, played, enjoyed was X.
    Actually I bought FF12 but did’nt enjoy it, nor did I finish it I don’t think?

What entices me on FFXV is the quote “This fantasy is based on reality”. Its got me hoping. no praying It has that real world feel mixed with fantasy like FF7 did. If they can pull that off, while having a more open seemless exploration feel like western RPGs then we got a winner on our hands boys!

#1 11 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

Its never releasing, NEVER!

#2 11 months ago
  3. Luciferous

It wants to be far in to development, you’ve been working on it longer than it’s taken the whole XIII saga to come out.

Stop tickling my balls, Square, I’m tired of the teasing.

#3 11 months ago
  4. TERMINATOR-SSD

i am hyped for this. I didn’t mind turn based games back on the PS1. but i cant stand them now. So i am happy this is a full blown controlled game and it looks amazing.

#4 11 months ago
  5. jomac3db

( in my Daniel Bryant voice) yes yes yes yes yes

#5 11 months ago
  6. fihar

Does being the in same Fabula Nova Crystal thingy mean it’s still going to have ridiculous naming conventions and a slew of equally ridiculous mythological terms?

Even I still have trouble saying things like Pulse l’cie with a straight face.

#6 11 months ago
  7. BrokenSpline

@Luciferous

The thing is, it wasn’t being developed on. It was in pre-production for over 5 years and just little a year ago was it actually said to be worked on. For what ever reason they felt like announcing it when they announced FF13. Proof is right there with the Lightning series that was something that was just thrown out to the consumer.

#7 11 months ago
  8. salarta

This is the only thing left at Squeenix that I have any faith in.

For my money’s worth, I refuse to accept the idea that FF15 is in any way connected to FF13. It may use names for things that FF13 used, but much like how FF13 isn’t a Final Fantasy game just for taking a motorcycle mech and naming it Shiva, FF15 isn’t tied to FF13 just for using the name Etro for a goddess of that world. If Squeenix is allowed to make stuff that has nothing to do with Final Fantasy and still call it Final Fantasy, then as a consumer I’m allowed to completely blow off their insistence that something that actually is Final Fantasy is related in any way to something that isn’t.

@KAP FF12 was also the last main entry FF game I played as well. I enjoyed it and consider it the last actual Final Fantasy game Squeenix has made, though I never finished it. Even so, I think the game only felt like a Final Fantasy game because of Matsuno’s work; the further you get into the game, the more content you see hijacked by higher-ups at the company based on what they thought would sell more copies.

This is also why I remain hesitant about FF15. I like what I’ve seen so far, it feels like we’re finally getting an actual Final Fantasy game for the first time in ten years, but this is also a company that’s ruined multiple franchises with “sequels” and “reboots” that force ideas for brand new games onto existing IPs. Squeenix has a horrible track record, and as I’ve said before, they tend to exceed my worst expectations of them.

The last Squeenix game I ever played was Nier, which was an excellent game, worthy of the Squaresoft of old. It’s just too bad that Squaresoft quality is so far gone that it takes a developer not owned by Squeenix to get it right.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Ireland Michael

“Nier, which was an excellent game, worthy of the Squaresoft of old.”

Ell ooh ell.

#9 11 months ago
  10. salarta

@Ireland Michael I listen to dog whistles, I bet you haven’t heard them.

#10 11 months ago
  11. hitnrun

Oh yeah. This thing, from a year ago. I guess it’s a rite of adulthood to learn not to pay attention to Final Fantasy projects in development, as you’ll end up spending vast amounts of time and thought on…nothing.

I enjoyed FF12 well enough but never got more than halfway into it. Watching a friend play FF13 was like being waterboarded, and thankfully his threshold for pain only lasted a little while past mine, and that was sheerly for the Giant-Bomb-Endurance-Run-Masochist hell of it.

The problem with both of those games, I think, was that they spend far too much time and invest too much narrative and real estate in setting up a “franchise” and “mythology.” In 12 it was the horrible and unnecessary pillaging of the once-compelling Ivalice world from Final Fantasy Tactics; in 13 they decided to start over with the Nueva Crystally Fabulist thing.

They would be better served ditching all that and making a fucking game, and then if they think there’s an audience, making another one. They’re just whipping up palatable nonsense from thrice-recycled pop mythology for a fantasy melodrama, not writing the Silmarillion from scratch. Taking a more focused approach would also allow for crazy narrative conventions like protagonists dying. As it stands, you know the main characters will survive and be successful because they need to market the sequel.

#11 11 months ago
  12. salarta

@hitnrun It’s actually kind of strange you mention characters dying, because that’s really one of the things that stuck out most about earlier games in the first place. FF4, Tellah dies. FF5, Galuf dies. FF6 has General Leo (even though he’s only temporary, he’s still playable), and FF7 had Aeris. They haven’t had a main playable character die since FF7.

Also, I think Squeenix recognizes that it’s important to have a whole world and mythology and whatnot… but they’re doing it entirely wrong. Even with the Lord of the Rings example, Tolkien built his work based on existing mythology, and a lot of the things he did such as invented language came easier for him based on his profession. He also had a definite, genuine interest in those things, and that interest really built up Lord of the Rings.

The guys at Squeenix right now do it more because they think of it as a necessity. It’s less about them making sure to tell a meaningful, compelling story, and more about having something to sell copies of a video game. When Final Fantasy games were made before, it didn’t involve some figurehead at the company coming out to spout how they “created a mythology” or any other grandiose claims, which is something other companies would call very simply “writing a story.” They simply let the game play out and players learn as expected. We didn’t need massive encyclopedia entries and years of pre-development to find out that Materia comes from the Lifestream or that Nibelheim got burned down and got set up again by Shinra covering their tracks. We learned that in the game, and it was part of the discovery.

I think that’s also part of why FF15 looks so promising. For all the mockery it’s currently getting for taking so long to come out, the fact of the matter is, people on the project kept getting pulled off it to make crap like FF13 and 3rd Birthday. And yet, enough people behind FF15 are STILL interested in making the game that they want to see it through. That shows real commitment, and real commitment can only exist if they have a genuine personal interest. This game is obviously not just a paycheck for the people working on it.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

@salarta IX and X both have main character deaths. IX is vague, but X’s is pretty clear cut. XII had a very important character did as well, though not a playable one.

“And yet, enough people behind FF15 are STILL interested in making the game that they want to see it through. That shows real commitment, and real commitment can only exist if they have a genuine personal interest. This game is obviously not just a paycheck for the people working on it.”

People work on what they’re told to work on. Square is only prioritising this one over other. That observation makes absolutely no sense.

#13 11 months ago
  14. salarta

@Ireland Michael I don’t remember FF9 or FF10′s deaths, then. I remember Queen Brahne dying in FF9, but she wasn’t a main playable character. Blank doesn’t count; he’s brought back before the end. For FF10, there’s Seymour but he became a villain and didn’t truly die until the very end, and Tidus and Auron dying at the end is more wrapped up in game completion material… and if someone actually accepts later stuff as canon, then Tidus comes back to life.

Past FF games from FF4 to FF7 (but notably, not FF1-3, at least as far as I’m aware for FF2 which I never finished) had someone in the main playable party sacrifice themselves to help everyone else. Though I’ll admit that General Leo’s sacrifice is iffy since he’s only playable for the point where he dies.

If we were talking about a game that took two or even three years longer than expected, then I might be able to say the situation boils down to people merely doing what they’re paid to do. This long? Hell no. They’re committed to this.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Ireland Michael

@salarta Vivi, Tidus and Auron are all considered death. You can argue as many semantics as you want, they’re still deaths. The series has never been afraid of killing its characters. Even XIII has them.

“Saying “people work on what they’re told to work on” doesn’t work when you have a project that’s still underway after 8 years. With that much time come and gone, to where the project would have to be completely restarted when it comes to game assets, it would be very easy to scrap the whole project as a lost cause and put resources into something brand new. Enough people believe in the project that they’re willing to see it through, rather than drop the whole thing and run.”

1) There is no reason for them to scrap most of the the assets.

2) Most of Square’s title this gen have taken forever to develop. Even FFXIII had a stupidly long development cycle. Staff on this game have changed, and just recently some of the core staff has been shifted around. Thankfuly its people with positive associations with the franchise, not negative ones.

3) They needed a number titles. They simply changed the name to make it one.

Unfortunately, as good as the Kingdom Hearts like combat looks, the design is some of the most tediously derivative anime-esque crap I’ve ever seen. It looks as uninspired as hell.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Djoenz

Sigh……….

#16 11 months ago
  17. salarta

@Ireland Michael Okay, whatever you say.

#17 11 months ago
  18. AbigailHolt29

First time i trusted an online job ad and managed to make 90$ in 5 hours…Have you looked at this? CashStoredcom

#18 11 months ago