Xbox Entertainment creating TV show on the life of rapper Nas

Wednesday, 12th February 2014 12:35 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft’s Xbox Entertainment Studios is continuing its dive into original programming with Street Dreams, a series that charts the life of rapper Nas.

Deadline reports that Street Dreams will come in half-hour episodes, and is set in the 1990s in Long Island’s Queensbridge housing complex, where Nas grew up. The show coincides with the 20th anniversary of the rapper’s celebrated album Illmatic, and looks at the trials of breaking into the rap industry. It’ll feature new music by Nas.

Street Dreams is being developed by Electric City Entertainment, the same team behind The Place Beyond The Pines, and it’s being written and directed by 50/50 scriptwriter Jonathan Levine, who also grew up in New York during the ’90s.

Are you a fan of Nas? Is this a show you’d like to watch? Let us know below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. KineticCalvaria

Brilliant, another reason to not buy an X1. Like I really needed any more :-).

#1 5 months ago
  2. Panthro

“We have taken note of the low sales, we need to do something about it to entice more kids to buy an X1″

“We should put some money towards making a TV series about a rapper that has been forgotten about”

“Good idea, its different, its seems pointless and kids love guns and Hip Hop, this shit is so Microsoft”

Gee, they really need to put more money for games and stop putting money towards stupid shit like this.

Nas is ok though.

#2 5 months ago
  3. OlderGamer

I don’t even know who Nas is.

I do agree with Pantro, seems money would be better spent on games.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Major Mayhem 70

Microsoft didn’t keep it a secret that the Xbox One would be a multimedia platform. True, the X1 isn’t selling as many consoles as the PS4, but it is safe to say that they are selling. They do have games coming down the pipeline starting next week, so they have shored that part of the Xbox Ones development. Updates to the firmware are almost ready to be released to those that have invested in Microsofts latest gaming/multimedia console in-order to enhance or bring back missed features that didn’t make it in time for its initial launch. With that being said, I have been a huge fan of Nas so I definitely welcome Microsofts original programming of Street Dreams. Kudos to Microsoft for supporting every facet of its new console. Many have bought into their vision and expect nothing less. Next time it could be Ozzy, The Beetles or whoever suits your musical taste. Again, they gave us a heads up that original programming was on its way. This time it happens to be about Nas. If you never heard of him, and you own an X1, great opportunity to learn about an artist that fulfilled his dream to be considered one of the best at his craft.

#4 5 months ago
  5. X14EVR

go fuck off you are all jelous because you all bought a cheap ps4 and wont be able to watch original content have fun playing dont starve i heard it has a good story not

#5 5 months ago
  6. Tyrantsoul

I thought this was a joke when I first read it.What the hell are the thinking.I would of thought it would make more sense to spend that on gaming.Starting to regret getting an Xbox One now to be honest.Its line-up isn’t exactly grabbing me.Tempted to trade it in at this point and get a 3ds.Thankfully I still have my ps4/3 and my trusty megadrive .

That said I did rather enjoy Crimson Dragon on it though.

#6 5 months ago
  7. CaptPierce

@Panthro HAHA forgotten about? his last album (Life is Good) was critically acclaimed as some of his best work and his sixth debut at number one in the US. He’s not making Jay-Z money, but to say people forgot about him is silly. In fact, his popularity and respect has been SOARING through the roof lately.

#7 5 months ago
  8. CaptPierce

@OlderGamer Released Illmatic, one of the most critically acclaimed albums of any genre, ever when he was barely out of high school. Released subsequently great albums later on, had a feud with Jay-Z, made him his bitch on record (Ether), had hit a rut creatively, and now back in full form making amazing music once more. Dude’s one of the best hip hop artists to have ever lived plain and simple, and the respect he has in the music world is astounding. I’d advice looking him up once you have the chance. He actually has plenty of insightful, intellectual things to speak off on the mic and off.

But I wish HBO would do something like this, and NOT Microsoft. Leave stuff like this to the pros please.

#8 5 months ago