Call of Duty 2014: Sledgehammer’s visuals “pretty big jump” over Ghosts, insider claims

Wednesday, 12th February 2014 09:05 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty 2014 developer Sledgehammer Games is taking a ‘next-gen first’ approach to development, according to Activision’s Eric Hirshberg. Now, an alleged insider has backed that claim up, stating that the shooter’s visuals represent a big jump over Call of Duty: Ghosts.

Now; over on NeoGAF, industry insider Pete Dodd shared his insight into the project, stating, “Internally people are excited for it. It is supposedly a pretty big jump over ghosts graphically.”

This is hardly surprising however, as Sledgehammer has been given an extra year to make the unannounced Call of Duty title, as part of Activision’s new thee-year, three developer cycle.

Are you interested in this game, or has Ghosts turned you off? Let us know below.

Via DualShockers.

1. Erthazus

Old engine =/- big jump in graphics.

they said the same thing about Ghost but it looked like a 2003 year old game with bland textures.

#1 5 months ago
  2. TERMINATOR-SSD

Let me guess, with another modified quake 3 engine, SHITS NOT Next Gen……… i got bored of COD after MW2

#2 5 months ago
  3. fengato

Unpopular around here, though I’ve consistently used COD over the years to get my online competitive fix. Thing is that since the release of the PS4 I’ve started to embrace Battlefield. What was clunky and jerky on last gen has become a pleasure (despite the bugs) on the new hardware. I’m still excited to get a new COD, though I think I might just have finally moved on. They’ll really need to up the game this time, and I’m not sure that they’ll be allowed to tinker sufficiently to freshen things up.

#3 5 months ago
  4. LB

Right, just like the new engine.

#4 5 months ago
  5. Iliad

Riiiiiiiight. Considering Ghosts looked glaringly last generation, a “pretty big jump” in visuals for CoD 2014 is surely mandatory – certainly not something to boast about.

#5 5 months ago
  6. life28

I hear it every year and I still just see shitty old engine wih everything recycled.

#6 5 months ago
  7. DarkElfa

@Erthazus It didn’t look like it was 2003 years old to me.

#7 5 months ago
  8. DarkElfa

@Erthazus Were they even making COD in 11 AD?

#8 5 months ago
  9. boiled lobster

I hope Sledgehammer realizes that audio production is more impactful than graphic fidelity…

#9 5 months ago
  10. The_Red

@DarkElfa
    Looking at how Activision is sticking to the old ass engine for COD, they may very well keep using for decades and maybe even centuries. With that rate, at least in the year 4016 the Erth comment will be right (Though I agree with him that Ghosts looked like a super old ass game)

#10 5 months ago
  11. CGurrell

They should take a 2 year break and spend the time properly creating a great game, not the same stuff but regurgitated

#11 5 months ago
  12. lx Penguin xl

The only thing Ghosts did was turn me off of more Infinity Fail games. WaW, Black Ops and Black Ops2 are 3 of the best 5 in the series. Treyarch is good, IW is utter rubbish.

#12 5 months ago