PS Now: Sony can’t afford to pay for streamed content like Netflix does, argues Pachter

Monday, 10th February 2014 11:14 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation Now was branded “a joke” by Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter last week, and it seems he’s at it again. He has now questioned Sony’s ability to pay publishers for content to fill out the cloud service in the same way Netflix does.

Now; as part of the Bonus Round cast, Pachter discussed Sony’s need for content on PS Now, adding to fears that publishers won’t want to limit their own profitability by offering their games on a subscription-based streaming service. He fears that studios and publishers will lose out on ‘per-sale’ income by entering into Sony’s unlimited streaming model.

Speaking on the webcast he said, “The math doesn’t make sense for the content owners. If the math doesn’t make sense for the content owners, it isn’t gonna happen,” and added, “So The lower the subscrition price, the less likely this thing will work. If it’s a thirty dollars subscription price, which the publishers will embrace, then no one’s gonna sign up.”

Comparing PS Now to the Netflix model, which includes original programming, Pachter continued, “I don’t think you could make it work. Netflix is the anomaly.The low price subscription plan with tons and tons of content… They did a bunch of really clever deals early on to make that happen, and then they got big enough that they can afford to pay.

“Sony’s not big enough to afford to pay that kind of dollars. They don’t have that much money.”

What do you make of Sony’s ability to snap up enough content to make PlayStation Now a viable prospect? Let us know below.

Via DualShockers.

1. dsr

I think this guy has no idea he is talking about. I bet Sony aren’t doing it all on blind faith and their marketing wizards know how to act.

Maybe If he heard about Playstation Plus which gives you 5 full games every month, before it was announced, he would call that “a joke” too?

Its almost as dumb as looking at “Music Unlimited” service, counting all the songs, multiplying that for $0.99 and saying “No way Sony could’ve paid THAT for every user!”

#1 11 months ago
  2. Luciferous

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Sorry, now that is out of the way i will reiterate what i have said before when this pillock talks about PS Now.

It isn’t a service for currently available or profitable games, it is a service for old games from previous generations that no longer sell on their own, it is a service for gamers to play games they missed in previous generations and a service for games unknown to audiences that were outside their original release market.

It is not a service for brand-spanking-new games that are currently selling like hot cakes in store both physical and digital.

Jesus fucking Christ Pachter makes my brain hurt sometimes.

#2 11 months ago
  3. DuckNation

Pachter is a joke enough siad… next!

#3 11 months ago
  4. Digital Bamboo

Yes, they only have a few billion in the bank, the wretched paupers, I hope they can make it.

#4 11 months ago
  5. KAP

I just knew VG247 would latch on to this bullshit… Ahhhhh!

#5 11 months ago
  6. Digital Bamboo

I mean, it’s not like there’s any precedent for an electronics company launching a game on a cloud. It’s never going to work! Oh wait, LG did it…Toshiba too.

#6 11 months ago
  7. MFBB

Well Pachter again :)

Everything I have read about PS Now said it is for old games on new consoles/handhelds.

So PS4 could play PS1+PS2+PS3 games easily, without the cost of digital remakes.

They are not trying to offer new PS4 games for rent via a streaming service.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Digital Bamboo

ugh, no edit: *service. a game service.

#8 11 months ago
  9. TheBritishSpartan

@DuckNation Said*

#9 11 months ago
  10. darkshale

This guy does not understand the short tails of the video game industry. How he gets paid for his advice on these companies is beyond me. The interview he did for GI was a joke, claims he doesn’t need to know about video games to understand the profitability of the companies that make them.

Saying PS Now won’t work because they can’t pay for a catalog of games shows how little he knows about the industry. One look at PS Plus (tripled its subscribers with PS4) Steam and Humble Bundle shows how hungry the consumer is for a service like this.

I for one am looking forward to PS Now and playing all the great PS3 games I missed out on.

#10 11 months ago
  11. BlockheadBrown

Someone shut this man up. Jeez. I’m really sick of him being quoted.

#11 11 months ago
  12. macklwinstead

until I saw the check for $8923 , I didnt believe …that…my brother woz like they say actualey earning money in their spare time on-line. . there friends cousin started doing this for under sixteen months and just now repaid the morgage on there place and purchased Toyota . Get More Info http://www.work71.ℭOM

#12 11 months ago
  13. salarta

I think I’ve only agreed with Pachter about one or two times. At this point, I suspect he says exaggerated things just to get attention.

#13 11 months ago
  14. polygem

these games subscription/service thingy is what i wanted for a good while now and i said that i can see sony going that route first. it just makes a lot of sense and ps+ pointed in that direction for a good while now. it´s a natural evolution really. imo it´s superclever from sony to be right at the front trying to push this with full force. it can work. i´m kind of done with my love for sony though because of many disappointing experiences i had with their stuff in the last years but i still think they are really cooking something great right here.

#14 11 months ago
  15. fearmonkey

I imagine there any smarter men than pachter doing all the thinking in regards to PS now. This guy doesnt know what he is talking about. His predictions are much more wrong than right. I would seriously laugh if PS now becomes a big deal for Sony after pachter has been going off on it.

I love the idea of PS Now, I didn’t have a PS3 so I can enjoy the games I missed now that I have a PS4, and if the PS2 and PS1 games are on it thats great too. I have heard it might have local emulation for those but we shall soon see.

I can see how the game service will work, what I am wondering about is how the cable service is going to work.

#15 11 months ago
  16. RussellGorall

Not sure which is funnier, the Pachter-haters or Sony Defense Force.

#16 11 months ago
  17. DuckNation

@TheBritishSpartan yeah yeah yeah i know but didnt care to put another post just to fix that one word this place needs to add the edit option back in

#17 11 months ago