Flappy Bird removed from app stores as creator “cannot take” it any more

Saturday, 8th February 2014 20:01 GMT By Staff

Dong Nguyen, developer of the mobile phenomenon Flappy Bird, has removed the phenomenally popular Flappy Bird from App Stores, although those who had previously downloaded it cna continue to play.

flappy

Considering how much money he had been earning on the in-game ads, this is a surprise.

Nguyen’s tweets indicated that all the attention the game had garnered recently, both positive and negative, had been taking its toll on him.

He then said the takedown has nothing to do with any legal issues he may be facing from accusations that he’d ripped art assets from Super Mario Bros, and commented that some players had been using the app too much.

One or more of Nguyen’s other games seem to have disappeared from the iOS App Store or Google Play, although most remain playable on the web. Flappy Bird is not playable anywhere, though.

1. Panthro

It must be horrible raking in $50,000 a day…

I wonder what kind of shit he is talking about though, I’de like to know his proper reason rather than this vague tweet…

Backing up the .ipa and apk. files though so I can use them whenever I like in the future.

#1 7 months ago
  2. DeVitowned

Dong, where is my automobile?

#2 7 months ago
  3. GrimRita

Good luck to him. He has rocked the mobile gaming world with something so simple. The stuff about him copying art is probably bitter media arses like IGN who ‘reviewed’ the game recently and gave it 5 – bitter much?

His life was simple then over night, a big change and probably unexpected.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

His reason is he doesn’t want the fame, and isn’t interested in the money.

Why is this so hard for people to contemplate, that someone might just want to live a simple life?

#4 7 months ago
  5. Sylrissa

@5 Because Capitalism would be my guess, the first thing some people started asking him once he tweeted that he was taking it down because he couldn’t take it anymore was “interested in selling it?” or “I’d love to discuss this i’m from ‘insert w/e website they are from’

When the man just wants to be left alone, not everyone wants or can handle or even wants anything to do with internet ‘fame’

As John Bain said recently about this incident “Anyone confused why the Flappy Bird dev is taking his game down has not had to experience a tsunami of internet’s raw unfiltered bullshit.”

#5 7 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

@Sylrissa Pretty much all this. Eloquently said.

#6 7 months ago
  7. YoungZer0

I really do not understand the hatred for this game or this guy. Sure he recreated some graphical elements from other games and sure he used very similar if not the same gameplay mechanics from other games.

But haven’t we seen AAA Devs do the same things too for decades?

I hate to use the word jealousy here, but I think that’s exactly what it is. What he did was simple and yet successful and people are biting themselves in the ass for not doing what he did.

What really bothers me is that after all the harrassment and all the bullshit he experienced, I’m guessing no Kotaku is going to call him the ‘gamer of the year’ and no Rock Paper Shotgun is going to write about the harrassment he’s experiencing right now.

It seems you need boobs for that.

#7 7 months ago
  8. GrimRita

@8 what’s happened is, that this chaps game has turned gaming media on it’s head. And they don’t like it. So bull shit sites like Kotaku and RPS just focus on the negative.

To them and rotten sites like IGN, no game is worthy of having huge amounts of sales/downloads without SOME kind of advertising or from some huge publisher behind them. This reminds me of how mobile gaming started.

Sad to see him take it down and understandable, maybe now the bull shit sites will focus their thoughts to promoting utter trash and giving it 10/10

#8 7 months ago
  9. tenthousandgothsonacid

I love Flappy Bird. It has a zenlike simplicity about it, much like it’s author who wants some peace and quiet.

#9 7 months ago
  10. antraxsuicide

@GrimRita Exactly correct. IGN’s just mad that this guy isn’t advertising on their site like Rovio does. Angry Birds and Flappy Bird are both just reskinned flash games from the 90′s anyway; the only difference is that Rovio buys into the industry.

#10 7 months ago
  11. TheWulf

I feel bad for this dev. I do think that he shouldn’t have used assets so clearly similar to Mario, opting for his own, unique art style, but other than that this is just ridiculous. As far as I know, he didn’t use exploitative IAP in his games, which makes me want to support him.

This is why I can’t understand why people aren’t more supportive of developers like this, instead favouring dried-up, corporate husks like King who’ll even patent troll if they get the chance.

I’ve always been on the side of indies, though. They make the best things.

#11 7 months ago
  12. macklwinstead

until I saw the check for $8923 , I didnt believe …that…my brother woz like they say actualey earning money in their spare time on-line. . there friends cousin started doing this for under sixteen months and just now repaid the morgage on there place and purchased Toyota . Get More Info http://www.work71.ℭOM

#12 7 months ago