The Last of Us 2 & new IP ideas being brainstormed now, says Naughty Dog

Friday, 7th February 2014 11:12 GMT By Dave Cook

The Last of Us 2 could be a thing one day, but writer Neil Druckmann has revealed that he team is brainstorming where it goes next, and that could end up being a new IP altogether.

It follows out big interview with Druckmann over The Last of Us: Left Behind’s writing process and how he managed to cram as much story into around two hours as possible.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Druckmann said, “We just wrapped up Left Behind, and Bruce Straley, the game director, and I have been doing this for over four years now. So it’s just time for a break, and to recharge the batteries.

“We have started brainstorming some stuff. To be honest, some of them are sequel ideas, and some of them are brand new IP – we’ve spent the last few weeks brainstorming new IP. So we have to get some good steps and see… It’s kind of like how we approached Left Behind.

“Can we tell people a story that’s really worth telling, and that’s not repeating itself? And if we can’t, where can we get inspired – what is something that’s really going to challenge us, and push storytelling in this medium forward?”

When asked to discuss rumours that The Last of Us is coming to PS4 with Left Behind bundled, Druckmann replied “We have such limited resources, and it’s a question of where you put the resources. It’s something where we can have a feel of where the demand is, and where our time is best spent. It’s something that we’ll figure out as we move forward.”

Would you like to see The Last of Us team produce a sequel, or are you quite happy for them to move on to something new? Let us know below.

1. Legendaryboss

I see another sequel happening only because ND usually do trilogies and anything beyond is justified at somepoint.

Likewise a New IP is also a certainly at somepoint on PS4.

#1 7 months ago
  2. Alkanida

ND is so talented I believe no one can imagine with what kind of stuff they can come up with.
    However, I would rather be interested in a completely new IP.
    They took the risk with last of us, why not do it again?
    Sure they don’t need to prove anyone anything by now, but new IP’s from great Devs is always welcomed by gamers.
    New IP’s bring the gaming industry huge steps forward. Bring it on ND. I’m buying all your games Day 1 without even seeing a gameplay trailer or even knowing the title.
    These guys are a sure shot!

#2 7 months ago
  3. loveaya

I don’t want a sequel, i want a new IP of ND. TLOU is a perfect game, maybe a PS4 version? i don’t really care.

#3 7 months ago
  4. polygem

@Legendaryboss

maybe it´s about time to rename your youtube channel then?

#4 7 months ago
  5. Legendaryboss

@polygem How about you rename your online name to attention seeker or Ninty lover? My channel that’s retired or the friend conspiracy claim? Nah silly attention seeker.

Poor fool have to rely on a conspiracy theory.

#5 7 months ago
  6. polygem

@Legendaryboss
    oh, nevermind, i was just desperately begging for your legendary attention boss.
    thanks for having it now. was pretty easy.

#6 7 months ago
  7. vicrysty

I definitely want to see the last of us 2 as soon as possible. But most of all I want to see the last of us on PS4. Definitely one of the best games of all time.

#7 7 months ago
  8. Fethennour

A new IP would be great, in my opinion. Anyway, Naughty Dogs is one of Sony’s best first-party developers, I’m sure they’ll do a nice work, whatever it may be.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Legendaryboss

@polygem Great now its confirmed your attention seeker.

Thanks, that was even more easy. Your only proving my recent claim.

#9 7 months ago
  10. polygem

@Legendaryboss
    let´s paint the world in your beautiful colours. sure. you´re the (legendary) boss obviously.

#10 7 months ago
  11. Legendaryboss

@polygem Haha you so funny. You’ve lost it.

#11 7 months ago
  12. TD_Monstrous69

I’m good either way. Would like to see a sequel in the same world, but with new characters, telling a different story and a different setting. But a new IP from this team, I’d most certainly welcome.

#12 7 months ago
  13. boiled lobster

Naughty Dog is an author. The Last of Us is a novel, and Left Behind is its addendum.

It’s time to write a new novel with a different backstory, different characters, and a different narrative.

#13 7 months ago