Sections

Take-Two: mobiles & tablets “not quite there yet,” says Zelnick

Thursday, 6th February 2014 09:13 GMT By Dave Cook

Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick has said in a new interview that he publisher isn’t ready to fully embrace mobile and tablet game development because the technology isn’t “quite there yet.” He’s also shed light on Rod Fergusson’s departure to Microsoft.

Take-Two has seen decent success in the mobile space so far with GTA ports and a full PC port of XCOM: Enemy Unknown that didn’t sacrifice content during the leap across formats. The latter is of interest to Zelnick, who wishes to see parity across mobile and console formats, so to not give smartphone users a weaker product.

Speaking with GI.biz he explained, “As tablets become more powerful, I am of the view that they’ll be a wonderful gaming platform – but they’re not quite there yet.”

“We don’t differentiate between mobile and not mobile,” he added. “As long as we can distribute a game in a high-quality version – and as long as the consumer wants to interact – we’re happy to be there. … We’re not a platform company. We’re a content company.”

Zelnick also stressed that he and his colleagues are impressed with Oculus Rift, but haven’t got any plans to use it yet, before the discussion turned to Rod Fergusson, who joined the company to work on BioShock Infinite. He recently moved to Microsoft to head up the Gears of War series at Black Tusk Studios.

“We think the world of Rod,” Zelnick stressed, “but he chose to move on. We have a big studio out there with terrific leadership. I was saddened to lose Rod, but they’re full steam ahead on their project.”

Breaking news

0 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.