WoW: Warlords of Draenor revamped character models detailed in latest blog post

Thursday, 23rd January 2014 20:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

As promised during BlizzCon 2013, World of Warcraft character models and animations for many of the game’s existing playable races are being fully revamped. The new models will go live alongside Warlords of Draenor. Chris Robinson, senior art director for WoW, has posted a developer blog over on Battle.net detailing the modeling process, the increase in polygon count to over 5,000 in some cases, and the retouching of nearly every animation for all of the characters. Read up on more of this through the link. Closed beta testing for Warlords of Draenor is looming, and the expansion is slated for release in the fall.

1. Hcw87

In before WoW haters (TheWulf in particular).

I’m certainly going to start playing again when the expansion hits, allthough in a casual manner. Stopped raiding back in 2011, after killing Sinestra. Good times, but the glory days of raiding is over for me.

Nowadays it’s just not rewarding enough.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Darkfield

@1 You can still raid casually, I only raid though because it is still fun for me, albiet semi-casually meaning I’m not all that worked up about it. In WoD Flex becomes the new Normal and you can do that when ever you feel you’re up for it.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Hcw87

The problem is i don’t get anything out of it anymore. In the good old days i got unique gear only a few on my server had access to. Now with LFR/transmogs etc nothing is unique anymore. You never feel rewarded by all the time you put into it.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Darkfield

Well, you still get mounts, pets and stuff like that. and the gear differences are considerable enough to feel rewarded. But I guess we all have a different opinion when it comes to that. I can agree that there are too many raid tiers out there which feels a bit underwhelming at the moment.

#4 8 months ago
  5. TheWulf

I must be doing my job right if you feel the need to pre-emptively namecall me as a WoW-hater. All I’ve ever done is try to raise self-awareness amongst an otherwise blissfully ignorant audience. Not everyone is self-aware, but everyone should be. Not everyone is fully educated on the nature of psychological addictions before getting involved with something that could be so addictive to them that they let their kid die just so they can play some more, but everyone should be.

I’m not a hater, I’m a knower. I’ve seen WoW destroy the lives of people first hand, I’ve seen it take so much away from them and they just sink in and let it. The evidence is out there, as can be seen in the link above, but not everyone will bother to learn.

I’m just trying to educate people on a very real issue, one that companies like Blizzard take advantage of.

We need to stop pretending that social engineering and behavioural conditioning aren’t real just because they’re inconvenient facts about the human condition. If you want to be ignorant, that’s fine, but you shouldn’t virulently spread your ignorance to others, nor should you introduce them to something that’s designed to addict them without fully educating them on the matter, first.

Casino software comes with warnings about this, but WoW has flown under the radar by not including elements where money is gambled, they’ve been very clever about that. Instead, it’s time that’s gambled. Get the drop this time? Or next time? Maybe the time after? Eventually!

But yes, I’m not a hater. I’m about a hater as much as any surgeon is for telling people that cigarettes can lead to cancer.

I’m just not stupid.

Edit: And please read both the article and the comments. WoW pretty much counts as a form of compelling psychological addiction, it’s just that they’ve been very clever in avoiding having it labelled as such.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Schwarzerwind

I play WoW once or twice a week, after my kids in bed on the nights that I’m off. I go to bed when I get sleepy.

On the nights I’m not off, I might sneak on for a hour or two with a buddy after they’re asleep, before I leave for work.

Once in awhile, if we’re having a “sit about the house” day, I will let them play their Wii or XBox 360 Kinect games, while I occupy myself for awhile on WoW.

The wife plays, too. The same amounts, or even less (more often sits and watches TV on her computer).

Some people can walk into a casino, spend $20, lose it, and walk back out or just roam around and check things out.

Other people can go in their, empty their bank accounts, their credit limits and pawn their wedding rings to play just a little more.

You should never group everyone into the same boat. WoW is a game. It is not the game’s fault if you can’t handle your attraction to it.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Phoenixblight

Don’t bother. TheWulf is a sandwich short of a picnic basket.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Dragon

*facepalm*

#8 8 months ago
  9. Darkfield

@6 Oh but you are friend, you’re just too stuck in your own smugness to see otherwise. You’re almost blind to everyone else’s opinion solely because you perceive yourself as this image of perfection that you are immune to the points others are making. Ironically for someone who claims to have this grasp over psychology you are completely blind to your own symptoms.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Sylrissa

@6 I stopped playing WoW over 4 years ago, because It got boring and I wasn’t having fun anymore, that is what you do with video games you no longer enjoy.

But the way you describe it is nothing short of idiotic, just because some couple that deserves a darwin award didn’t know how to be responsible parents isn’t the games fault.

And it most certainly doesn’t give you the right to lump every other person that plays the game into your twisted delusions.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@6 “All I’ve ever done is try to raise self-awareness amongst an otherwise blissfully ignorant audience. Not everyone is self-aware, but everyone should be.”

You’re many things bud, but self aware is not one of them.

“Not everyone is fully educated on the nature of psychological addictions…”

If you knew even the slightest thing about psychological addictions (which you don’t), you would know full well that the cause of the problem lies with the person, not the product. If a psychological addiction destroys someone’s life, *they* are the one responsible.

A goddamn entry level psychologicist know this.

Your arrogance and self serving pomposity is an insult to anyone who ever has actually suffered from behavioural addiction. You’re the sort of person who *doesn’t* help them, because a person in that sort of situation needs to understand that the root cause of the problem is their own choices. Without that, they will never have the compulsion to change it, because the blame will always be shifted onto someone or something else.

“Casino software comes with warnings about this, but WoW has flown under the radar by not including elements where money is gambled,”

WoW has had messages about playing in moderation since it’s inception. But your example is stupid, because no psychologicist is going to blame the slot machine. Those warnings labels were created to appease people complaining. They did nothing to stop to stop compulsive gambling.

But hey, who needs facts? Not TheWulf.

You’re as enlightened as a tunnel. In the Artic. In the middle of winter. At night.

“You shouldn’t virulently spread your ignorance to others.”

Indeed.

#11 8 months ago
  12. FeelTheBurn

TheWulf showing us his ignorance yet again. You sir are quite self-absorbed and seem to put yourself on some sort of pedestal. Where did you get your PHd in psych by the way?

“Instead, it’s time that’s gambled. Get the drop this time? Or next time? Maybe the time after? Eventually!”

So by that logic, every single game with loot and drop rates is now likened to gambling and people should be warned about the dangers? You should’ve told me this back when I was playing Diablo 2.

If people become addicted to something, it is the consumer’s problem. Not the product.

#12 8 months ago
  13. deathm00n

Just to add: if you come to a GAMING site complain that a PARTICULAR GAME is addicting, you are completely oblivious to the fact that if ONE OF THEM can get you addicted, ALL OF THEM have the same probability. As with any other hobby. It’s wrong to say someone is addicted to WoW, he’s actually addicted to games. Same as saying someone is addicted to Marlboro, but the other cigarretes brands are fine.

#13 8 months ago
  14. silkvg247

Games are only harmfully addictive if you let them be. Unlike smoking or drinking, the “use” of games in itself is not harmful at all, in many ways it can actually be beneficial.

Wow is the same. I’ve also seen people stress over raiding all the time to get loot, hey I used to in vanilla wow but for me it was FAR more a social fix for a lonely person than being about loot. Took me a while to realise that.. I still miss my original guild, some real good folks and interesting characters.

Nowadays I’ll buy wow expansions, play them socially with my GF and best bud, then once it gets stale we quit (relatively quickly these days since we’re PvP’ers and the PvP is now appalling).

#14 8 months ago