Witcher 3 “fairly close” to maxing out PS4 & Xbox One, PC specs teased

Thursday, 23rd January 2014 08:58 GMT By Dave Cook

The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt RED is fairly close to maxing out the capability of PS4 and Xbox One, according to studio co-founder Marcin Iwinski.

It follows the latest Witcher 3 trailer, and our own Witcher 3 interview, in which we ask CD Projekt RED just how far it’s pushing the new consoles.

Now, speaking with IGN, Iwinski discussed Witcher 3 development on PS4 and Xbox One, and explained, “It is extremely manageable. There is a lot of power in these machines, and I don’t want to say we’re using them to their capacity, but we’re fairly close to doing so.

“We made a decision to go next-gen roughly two and a half years ago, so we’ve spent a lot of time with these machines, and it’s been a great experience across all three platforms. On the old platforms, namely the Xbox 360 and PS3, we probably would have had to sacrifice nearly half of our vision.”

On the game’s PC specs, he teased, “(Laughs) We’ll be releasing that information soon, but you can already start saving up for an upgrade.”

From what you’ve seen so far, do you feel that these claims are on the money? Let us know below.

Via DualShockers.

1. schrodinger_cat

PS4 all the way then :)

#1 3 months ago
  2. Nam3M3King

They all say this, how can a multi plat game max out a console

#2 3 months ago
  3. _LarZen_

Every time a developer says they have maxed to are really close to maxing a console I smile. Because not long after a game comes out that magically have tapped in to more… :D

That said, I cant wait to see how this game will be on PS4. Next week it’s Tomb Raider time. And with the rumors that is out now that the PS4 is aiming for 60fps and the XBO at 30fps it’s going to be even more interesting to play it.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Takeshi

Already upgraded!

Surely it’s what they’re capable of right now. If this was launching in 2020 then it would look a lot different on consoles, I think. There is no way they’ve already been able to fully utilize the power of PS4 and Xbox One.

I wonder what the difference between the next-gen console versions and PC will be. I definitely don’t think next-gen consoles will have ubersampling. :p not as great as I would like probably. Fairly excited if they announce a bunch of graphic options that the consoles won’t have or simply can’t utilize.

#4 3 months ago
  5. loki

very dubious claim

#5 3 months ago
  6. melonbuster1

Oh please they both will at 30fps if they make it 60fps then both will be.. stop this ps4 is better then xbox1 crap . Pick a system and buy the game.. be happy I for one own all systems but I purchased most of my multi system games for xbox1 because all my friends are on. It.. If my friends were on Ps4 then I would go that way.. you game where your friends game

#6 3 months ago
  7. The_Red

While both versions will definitely be at 30FPS, the 60 vs 30 frame rate disparity is already happening. The PS4 version of Tomb Raider can run around 50-60 with unlocked frame-rate (Confirmed by producer during a Twitch stream which said the 30fps on both consoles was a misquote). It remains to be seen if both versions of TR Definitive Edition run at a locked 30fps or if they unlock the frame rate to allow a near double fps on PS4.

#7 3 months ago
  8. _LarZen_

@6 The XBO have been under-performing from day 1. And it will just continue. And sure it’s important to play with friends etc. I see that. But for me gaming is a visual experience. That’s why I play on PC and PS4 as my main systems. I don’t settle with less when I don’t have to.

“The PlayStation 4 build is, on average, twice the framerate of the Xbox One build. Both builds are rendering at native 1080p resolution, and generally look the same in graphical effects (though some minor differences may apply). Performance is a different matter. Both feature unlocked framerates, meaning framerate fluctuates between higher and lower values. The Xbox One build can technically reach around 45 fps, though this performance is generally only achieved during the most empty, simplest environments. For most of your play, and during action scenes, the Xbox One build will sit on around 30 fps. On the other hand, the PlayStation 4 build will attempt to hit 60 fps as often as possible, and does a pretty good job of doing so, but does have slight dips under 60 fps during certain scenarios.”

Source: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/exclusive-tomb-raider-definitive-edition-ps4xone-framerates-revealed/

#8 3 months ago
  9. TheBlackHole

It’s not hyperbole – that probably DO max it out, but over the course of several years developers find more efficient ways of doing things, so graphics and framerates improve.

All this means is that they’ve filled up most of the available resources with the codebase they are using. Not really that unusual.

#9 3 months ago
  10. CyberMarco

“but you can already start saving up for an upgrade”

Screw that, just make a decent optimization *cough*The Witcher 1*Cough*

#10 3 months ago
  11. dsr

Well, Witcher 2 looked like shit on PC if you turn off bloom and annoying depth of field effects.

Not holding my breath for this one either. But they might surprise me yet.

#11 3 months ago
  12. Major Mayhem 70

@MELONBUSTER1
    I know what you mean man. I own both consoles but I tend to play my multiplat, multiplayer games on the X1. If the majority of the people I game with are there, why would I play somewhere else? I play games for the games, not the crispness of the graphics in the game. I don’t notice the difference unless the game is put side by side displaying the same scene. Since I only play on one TV, the chances of that happening is like…. Never gonna happen. I’ll continue playing multi with friends and enjoy the epic single player adventures that Sony gaming studios are known for on the PS4. Worked well for me last gen, not about to change it this gen.

#12 3 months ago
  13. _LarZen_

@12 Ignorance is bliss :)

#13 3 months ago
  14. Hcw87

EDIT: Wrong thread.

#14 3 months ago
  15. Erthazus

Both PS4 and Xbox One will have shitty visual component compared to PC it’s not even funny.

#15 3 months ago
  16. Christopher Jack

@15, Define shitty. They’ll both be lesser than more expensive PCs & the X1 will be even lesser than the PS4 but changes won’t be drastic.

My guess is that you’ll need at least a $300+ GPU & $200+ CPU to achieve better results than the PS4 & that’s before including RAM(8GB minimum)$70+, HDD/SSD$60+, Case(too varied but lets say $60 for arguments sake), PSU (600w bronze) $60+, OS $100+, Mobo $50+, KB&M $20+ & maybe optical drive $20+.

So you need $800USD MINIMUM to beat a $400 console. I lucked out & got a decent one a mate built & got bored of for $600AUD ($525USD).

#16 3 months ago
  17. zoopdeloop

@12 it’s not only a matter of graphics but perfomance as well which is important.

@6+12
    Sure if you’re pushovers you’ll follow your friends otherwise you can let them follow you wherever you might want to go

#17 3 months ago
  18. pablo2008jedi

My personal opinion, just for the sake of saying. They probably are maxing out the PS4 with the tools they have now. As the console goes on, the tools are continuously updated to allow a developer better access to the hardware, better APIs etc.. so yeah they may claim to “to maxing out PS4 & Xbox One” with the current tools.

#18 3 months ago
  19. Christopher Jack

@17, It’s simpler to play the game all your friends play than convince them to play the games you play. A single friend is easier to convince depending on their income & how open minded they are but it’s unfair to even attempt to convince multiple people to switch.

#19 3 months ago
  20. Harrow

The visuals will be incomparable to the PC version. The consoles can not compete with the visuals a fully fledged gaming rig can output that is fact.

#20 3 months ago
  21. zoopdeloop

@19 True but never said convincing anyone.The point is never count on friends choices.One can do what he/she wanna do and if friends want they’ll follow…in this case they will follow just like many early ps3 adopters followed theirs on 360.Times and trends change all the time

#21 3 months ago
  22. Tormenter

If pc’s need an upgrade for this (although they haven’t said upgraded from what..) then yeah, i’d imagine it could push console HW.

We’re obviously not playing the same game.. maxed out (including uberalaising.. which looks pretty amazing in itself, no crawling whatsoever) with bloom OFF (I hate bloom) it was, and still is one of, the prettiest game on the market.. You may have a problem with the grimey art direction, but any problems you have with the way it’s rendered are all in your head.

#22 3 months ago
  23. X14EVR

pcs will need upgrade to match xbox performance confirmed

sad all you pay extra $2000-$4000 on pc but you all cannot even play good games at same visuals as xbox
    you all have to upgrade every few months to play games lololol waste of cash since we pay less but get better

#23 3 months ago
  24. Tormenter

Aww dood.. You blew it.. I just agreed with you, somewhat, in the Tomb Raider thread, now I come here and see you blowing shit out of your nose. :(

#24 3 months ago
  25. X14EVR

dood i just dont see a point in spending $500 every few month to play games its a waste of money could be spending dat shit on females and weed

#25 3 months ago
  26. Christopher Jack

@23, Are you high? Just above I mentioned you can build a PS4 killer for $800~ after that it’ll be years before you need to upgrade anything. Not to mention PC games themselves are significantly cheaper so if you’re a huge gamer & buy dozens of games a year the PC ends up cheaper with better visuals & more variety.

#26 3 months ago
  27. Tormenter

Few months? Try every couple of years for someone who DOESN’T suffer from ocd or have a burning wallet in their pocket.. and that’ll provide you some good gaming.. Constant, top of the range upgrades are a myth for 90% of PC gamers. Generational jumps in engine requirements take a couple of years to mature.. you can pretty much guarantee, that if you buy a high-mid card one of your other components will burn out before you NEED to upgrade your GPU.

There’s plenty money for Weed.. and the woman can buy her own.

#27 3 months ago
  28. pukem0n

no it’s not and it won’t be until the end of the generation, marketing bullshit ^^

#28 3 months ago
  29. X14EVR

dont lie everyone knows pc needs upgraded like every month to even play the games you want thats why console is best choice since you pay $400-$500 and your set for over 5 years + the support from microsoft and the free games because they love the users that buy there stuff do valve give out free games every month? nope they just nickel and dime you with free to play shooters and hats hats hats hats thats why i stick with Microsoft they care about our money and dont want to rip us off by giving us sales constantly since developers and fans dont benefit from them as much as paying full price and supporting them properly

#29 3 months ago
  30. Tormenter

Ahh…You overplayed your hand. You had me going, I just though you were misinformed or criminally biased, but you’re just flicking our knackers with a wet towel, aren’t you.

#30 3 months ago
  31. Cobra951

Another comment thread devolved into fanboy crap. Great.

As I said in a comment to a previous story on this, as long as they prioritize stillshots over animation, we’ll continue to get half the hardware frame rate. It’s all about making promo images from game footage look best. While optimization in the programming code will improve markedly over time, they may continue to use most of that power to make screen grabs look best for advertising purposes, while neglecting the need for smooth, full frame rate. Let’s hope not.

#31 3 months ago
  32. Major Mayhem 70

@13 Ignorance is bliss, and you’ve obviously been basking in it for some time.
    @17 Pushover? Only if I were to take your advice. I enjoy who I play with and what we play on. Not a pushover. In fact I’m quite content with my choices. You see it is I who can choose which system to play , when to play it and how I want to play it. Now you go back and play just your PS4.

#32 3 months ago
  33. justerthought

@_LarZen_

They did not say they were maxing it out. They claimed they were close. They have probably been maxing out the low hanging fruit and measuring the success with various tools, but they confess there is higher stuff that will takes years of research. Tech like hUMA on PS4 will takes years to implement and take PS4 to another level. But any games that use it will not work on PC or XB1, unless they create an extremely advanced game engine that allows memory usage to be routable to different architectures.

#33 2 months ago
  34. justerthought

@melonbuster1
    So your advice is buy the more expensive console and suffer games at a lower resolution or lower frame rate. If one console has a better frame rate or higher resolution overall, it is better. There is no denying it even if you don’t want to hear it. You cannot claim they are the same. That does not make sense.

Thankfully your friends have more sense than you and have opted for PS4, allowing you to buy it. You need to show a bit more leadership and choose the best available for the price you can afford.

#34 2 months ago
  35. Joe Musashi

Maxing out a console can be done in less than 5 lines of highly ineffecient code.

It is not an accolade.