UPDATE: PS4 error ‘ce-34878-0′ sees saves corrupted as more gamers lodge complaints

Tuesday, 21st January 2014 10:44 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 users have taken to Sony’s support forum to raise complaints regarding the console’s ‘ce-34878-0′ error, which has seen gamers lose progress across a range of titles.

UPDATE: our local Sony rep has passed a statement on from the company regarding the error code. It reads, “We are aware of the cases and we appreciate your patience while we investigate.”

More as we have it.

ORIGINAL STORY: In the ‘Support PS4′ section of the PlayStation Forum, a steady string of gamers have posted their own stories regarding corrupted or lost save files.

“My Nba2k14 MyCareer save file has over 25 hours of progress and now it crashes shortly after tip off every time I load the file,” one poster wrote, and added, “Bombard sony with ce-34878-0 Error reports from your ps4, at 33 pages and growing this thread alone should be a serious wake up call.”

Another player posted, “Mine was fine for the first 2 weeks, even playing loads of BF4 I didn’t get any error code.. then 1 magical day i got an error code and the little so and so keeps coming to pay me univited visits.

“Really starting to get frustrated with this now, i could live with the fact if Sony said they are aware of it and is working on a patch.. but when i rang them up to ask what is this code they brushed me off saying ring EA its thier game causing this fault.”

Have you encountered error ‘ce-34878-0′ yet? Let us know below.

We’ve asked Sony for comment.

Via CVG.

1. torjs99

suck it early adopters

#1 9 months ago
  2. wamp

@1 without those early adopters developers won’t start making games just for the new systems.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Tormenter

Considering that they aren’t doing anything innovative.. or even partially new from last gen, would that be such a bad thing?

#3 9 months ago
  4. Ryzilient

@3 Of course it would be. If developers don’t see growth in a console from the beginning, they aren’t encouraged to develop near the launch. Thus the console struggles. As it continues to struggle, developers won’t want to make games due to the install base.

If this continues, the console will fail, at a great loss for the hardware company, and will damage the industry as a whole.

So yes, it would be a bad thing.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Belazur

#3
    Yes, because you don’t have “innovate” with a not-needed gimmick (not needed -> see Kinect, etc.)
    The most powerful gaming machine, with a great controller and new interaface (touchpad) and social-media features (see recording feature, Live Streaming, #DRIVECLUB, etc.) is a great way to innovate / introduce your new system.

So yes, not buying a new system would be a bad thing during the start period of the console.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Tormenter

Nah, it wouldn’t be a bad thing.. the devs would just move on to a different platform, PC.

If you think they would give up entirely you’re off your rocker.

The death of the console would be fantastic for the consumer over all… Granted Sony and MS would have less money, but that’s not a bad thing either.

Consoles are the things that are actually stiffling innovation and progress.. stuck with the same hardware and limitations for 7/8 years at a time (and 1080p for either console ATM certainly isn’t a given).

Without consoles, PC HW would be cheaper and game innovation would be progressing faster.

#6 9 months ago
  7. fihar

That’s a bunch of ignorant naivete.
    The only thing that made video game as big as it is now is mainstream consoles.
    There would barely be any kind of growth at all if there were no consoles as video games would be as niche as vinyls.

Why the fuck do you think Valve went ahead with the Steambox?

#7 9 months ago
  8. pepsipunk

@6 i suggest you go spend a day with a game developer. You clearly need to have your eyes opened a little.

If PC was the true master race, why would any studio spend time with anything else?

Learn a little about how the industry works before trying to make declarations as above, unless you actually enjoy coming across like you’re stupid.

#8 9 months ago
  9. karucifer

Someone from Sony apparently replied to the thread and told people to backup their saves and wipe their consoles:

Herm.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Tormenter

That’s the point, it is NOW mainstream.. and that won’t change, players would move to a different platform if that was their only fix.. They certainly wouldn’t stop gaming.

There is no downside to consoles dying.

Valve went with steam box because Gabe Newell was sick of the windows monopoly and ever increasing licencing fees.. that’s why, not because pc was unsatisfactory.

@8.. “why would studios spend time with anything else”

… because of exclusive contracts and the fact that console games cost over double the price of a PC game… why do you think it would be? Because consoles are intrinsicly a better platform? LOL.

I think both of you should look at your own arguements and motivations for those arguements before you try poking holes in anyone elses comment.

Consoles promote mediocrity.. currently, ..there WAS genuine innovation… TWO generations ago, but now they are a dead end street, innovation has died on the console, you may have new services but actual gaming wise. same ol’ same ol’.. and certainly nothing that couldn’t be accomplished on last gen.. they still stuggle with what has become the de facto gaming specs of 1080 @ 60. The word Rick-rolled comes to mind.

#10 9 months ago
  11. melonbuster1

Won’t bother me because I got the system for exclusive games and seeing sony has zero at launch this doesn’t effect me.. I do use it for blurays and charging my controllers for my xbox1 and wiiu. . Being I play those systems because of the great games for them..

#11 9 months ago
  12. Panthro

Eh? I thought consoles were meant to be play out of the box no problems with updates etc etc…

It’s been a few month since release, shit like this shouldn’t be happening (it shouldn’t even happen during release either, they both basically released unfinished products)

@11 Neither does X1… The exclusives line up is dry as hell for both systems at the moment, nothing new at all just sequels for shit I got bored of last gen… And the new Ryse is pretty but gameplay and story wise looks terrible, it looks like a bad rome movie directed by michael bay that would bomb if it was released in theatres.

#12 9 months ago
  13. bradk825

That seriously sucks. I hope when they fix it they’ll be able to recover the save games.

#13 9 months ago
  14. POOhead

@12 fuck off duck, KI is the only reason to get an xbox

and yeah shit like this should never happen when a console is launched, wii u seems to be the only console without problems when it launched

#14 9 months ago
  15. NomadsoulZA

Well, I did send VG247 an email in the second week of December reporting the issue and asking if you guys were going to do a story about this widespread issue.

My first console worked fine for a few days…then gave me this error on Killzone and Rezogun. Need for Speed seemed to work fine but had the occasional corrupted graphics etc – which almost made it unplayable with textures sticking out across the screen.

I eventually couldn’t take it anymore and took the console back to be swapped. Got a new console, loaded my save games from the old console and everything else worked again. I resumed my games from where I left off. I highly doubt this has anything to do with corrupted save game files – but that’s just my experience.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Panthro

Harassment ^ he told me to fuck off…

Offended, Dave ban him.

Ireland back me up pal, He is sexist too I have heard him.

#16 9 months ago
  17. POOhead

wulf write something so that by the time they have read it they would of forgotten about me getting banned and duck go on viber, i need product keys for windows 2013 and pirate bay isnt being my friend today :,(

#17 9 months ago
  18. Panthro

In case you are all wondering I didn’t help him get a Windows OS product key, instead I contacted authorities and made them aware he was using TPB to steal software.

#18 9 months ago
  19. bradk825

By the way, if you look up a little, there’s an article about an error message some people are getting.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Cobra951

@1: I don’t want to be that mean. But yeah, growing pains and higher prices come along with being the first with a new toy. Stories like this make me glad I’m waiting a year at least.

Clearly, they need to fix this. Are backups made intentionally difficult on the PS4? Backups are essential.

#20 9 months ago
  21. fihar

Yes, they would.
    To mobiles and handhelds, effectively segregating the population even more with nothing to bridge the gap. You know where’d the majority would go? Here’s a hint, the one without Steam.

Valve went with the Steambox because there hasn’t been any kind of computer that is designed for the living room and is focused on ease of use, ergo the SteamOS.

There is a common misconception that every single person who play on consoles are all technologically literate beings that could check how many RAM they have without having to google how in the first place.
    Newsflash, not all of them are like that.

#21 9 months ago
  22. OneLifeCycle

LOL @ current consoles not being innovative.

As far as consoles being mediocre. Okay, sure, maybe they are in the graphics department but graphics aren’t everything to most. Just look at console sales for proof.

Where did all the elitists come from? Sheesh.

#22 9 months ago
  23. Tormenter

Mobiles and handheld.. yes, agreed. I hadn’t considered them but yep absolutely… And another fine example of the increasing obsolesance of console gaming.

@22.. then tell me how consoles are innnovating, give me an example.

Consoles don’t EVEN have graphics.. it’s not a matter of them not being everything (I agree with that point).. they don’t even have them to fall back on when the games themselves are proven to be sequelised and samey.. there isn’t an experience on the current gen that wasn’t done already in previous.. yep, you now have SERVICES which are simply padding and distractions from, you know, the actual games.. but an incease in the worth of actual gaming?.. nope.. The new hardware was forced upon the market because MS and Sony needed a new revenue stream, not because the hardware was needed..

And BTW, sales numbers mean jackshit as far as quality goes.. all the sales numbers prove is that people buy them and people in general are stupid enough to buy ANYTHING… and it isn’t elitism,.. I don’t feel the need to validate any supposed superiority.. THAT speaks for itself when so many others aren’t able to cut through the corporate bull that you actively pay and beg for.

Consoles.. current gen.. are irrelevent. Every gen has had a VERY noticable jump in the quality of gaming.. being graphics or the abilty to have more thing on screen, even AI.. but current(next) gen?.. in comparison, a tiny incremetal graphics increase (still not good enough for a decent framerate or resolution, mind you) and still not nearly as big a jump for on-screens as there was from ps2/xbox to ps3/360, as for AI.. there’s more capability for complexity in the new HW certainly, but the idiots can’t write it properly so it’s STILL as spastic as it’s been in previous gens.. In general it’s a piss poor box, (both of them) with cut price PC components because they lose SO much money they can’t afford the R&D anymore… no coincidence that they BOTH chose the cheapest (in terms of cost AND quality) gpu manufacturer.

#23 9 months ago
  24. Doppleganger

If graphics weren’t everything then no one would buy a PS4 cause its garbage in every other aspect.

#24 9 months ago
  25. Panthro

Yep… Them consolers are always contradicting themselves.

#25 9 months ago
  26. OneLifeCycle

@23 It’s amazing how unbias you are. How do you do it?!

The PS4 controller is innovative. The touchpad is pretty cool and was great for Killzone. The speaker on the controller is a nice touch as well. The share button that streamlines the process of sharing/streaming your gaming experience and/or recording it. The voice commands the PS4 can utilize if you have the mic plugged in.

Perception is reality, bro. Millions of people don’t give a fuck to the extent that you do about gaming graphics and the ability to have the latest and greatest hardware to run the latest spec games. Again, see sales numbers for confirmation.

I can’t believe you actually said consoles are irrelevant. The sales numbers don’t show that and they’re even available everywhere yet. I bet you and your buddies laugh and joke about it at your LAN parties each weekend.

U mad, bro?

#26 9 months ago
  27. gomersoul

If consoles die, pc goes with it. The cost of developing is now so high that only games selling millions are sustainable. People can’t be bothered with pc gaming, it’s such a ballache. This issue might be inconvenient for a few ps4 users but not me, mines working great. I’m sure all pc gamers on this site are jealous of ps4 owners… They just can’t seem to let it drop. If pc gaming is so superior, fuck off and do it instead of spouting off about how much better it is.

#27 9 months ago
  28. OneLifeCycle

@27 Werd! My PS4 is problem free and I bought mine the day it game out as I had it on pre-order.

#28 9 months ago
  29. ManuOtaku

Colour me surprised, PC fans bashing sony and microsoft consoles about the same reasons, sony and microsoft fnas bash nintendo, funny how gamers behave between themselves, one happy family.

Now Regarding this topic, i have one question this also affects non connected online to the internet consoles?, i mean is only for connected consoles?, if thats the case when i get it, i keep it offline until they find a cure.

#29 9 months ago
  30. Tormenter

I’m talking about actual games.. not services or a new handle that’s padding, not innovation.

And as I said sales numbers mean nothing except people will buy anything…. well except that people play games..take away actual consoles and they’ll move over.. no consoles wouldn’t mean no games.

Consoles capabilities are stagnant.. EVERY other market is moving forwads in capbilities and HW, consoles are going backwards, treading water with their games and not even designing their own HW these days.

#30 9 months ago
  31. ManuOtaku

Colour me surprised, PC fans bashing sony and microsoft consoles about the same reasons, sony and microsoft fans bash nintendo, funny how gamers behave between themselves, one happy family.

#31 9 months ago
  32. Dragon

Sales mean everything. People like what they want. The problem lies in people thinking their choices are somehow superior than the masses.

Hint – It isn’t. In the end, they are just that, choices.

#32 9 months ago
  33. Tormenter

“If consoles die, pc goes with it.”

Don’t be daft.. consoles rely on PC’s not the other way around, no PC, no console.. because there would be nothing to do the actual designing on. Take away consoles and there will still always be a platform.. maybe not AAA’s, but with the tripe in general that wouldn’t be such a loss considering what we’re actually left with, ACTUAL innovation of gameplay in indie games…. and they would simply get better.

Edit.. actually take away PC and you don’t even have console hardware, never mind games.

#33 9 months ago
  34. bradk825

I don’t get why anyone has to be mad that someone else prefers to play on another platform.

Why bother insulting someone about it? Who does that help? Does it make you enjoy your games better knowing you’ve been a dick to someone?

#34 9 months ago
  35. Panthro

Jealous of having a PS4? I have one downstairs and so far is absolute gash.

The most fun I have had on it is tearing apart console gamers on War Thunder, you lot are terrible on that game ;)

#35 9 months ago
  36. OneLifeCycle

@30 I really don’t get what you’re saying. Consoles are moving forward. They’re better specs compared to previous specs is proof is it not? Ultimately, it comes down to the hardware for graphics but you know, consoles offer a myriad of other things on your TV in your living room that PC’s simply do not offer without an investment and a little bit more skill. Consoles are simpler in this regard. Sure some of the top-end features a full-spec PC would offer are lost but I’m telling you, this is not as important as you seem to be making it out to be.

Check this out. Microsoft sole something around 80,000,000 Xbox 360′s alone. Not even counting Sony and Nintendo. How many Steam users are there? Roughly 75,000,000?

Everything you’re saying about consoles does not matter to most people. We get it, you’re not a console gamer but don’t pretend they’re not relevant cause that shit is just whack.

#36 9 months ago
  37. Panthro

Don’t compare the number of active Steam accounts to the number of consoles sold, you look like an idiot.

#37 9 months ago
  38. Tormenter

I wish people would stop saying “better specs” as if it actually means something… those “better specs” can’t even run games at the accepted standard, and it’s STILL not THEIR HW.. they stopped designing HW… and those ‘other things’ are irrelevent in themselves.. they are games consoles.. ANYTHING not game releated is padding… and actually, you prove my point by saying that.. MS and Sony are concentrating on other things because they can’t get it looking or playing better, so they concentrate on something else. That’s NOT good for what is supposed to primarily play games.

..and lol at your numbers.

#38 9 months ago
  39. OneLifeCycle

@37, right, because a PC gamer wouldn’t have a Steam account. That wouldn’t make any sense at all.

#39 9 months ago
  40. Tormenter

Huh? Are you actually arguing this point?

we’ll take your numbers… those 75,000,000 steam accounts ARE TO BE PLAYED IN PERPETUITY WITH ONE PURCHASE. Your 80,000,000 consoles account for forced rebuys, through poor quality construction and forced new HW over 3 separate and non compatible console generations.

Your ‘arguement’ is leakier than an incontinent’s urethra.

#40 9 months ago
  41. Panthro

The fact that you have said that makes me 100% confident you are completely uneducated about PC gaming.

#41 9 months ago
  42. Tormenter

I didn’t read that properly..I didn’t see that he was inferring that no pc owner would be without one…..Jeez. I didn’t have one up until Castlevania: LOS came out.. I buy Physical media and GOG.

#42 9 months ago
  43. ManuOtaku

@40 lets sum all consoles numbers:
    Wii 100 million aprox
    ps3 75 million aprox
    xbox 360 75 million aprox

that makes for 250 million home consoles aprox, lets say 20 % are rebuys for all consoles, which is a little high because wii/ ps3 were not that high rate , but for the sake of the argument, thats 50 million, so we have 200 million real users and lets say 50% of those users have multi consoles, that give us 100 million console gamers, so it is not that small either, i know is an estimate but it was done with a pitch of common sense.

#43 9 months ago
  44. Tormenter

Yeah, let’s NOT approximate.

I used the numbers he gave to illustrate a point not reliant on the numbers.. your trying to make an arguement based ENTIRELY on numbers using approximations….No.

#44 9 months ago
  45. OneLifeCycle

@43 Precisely.

The point is not to determine the exact numbers. The point is that there are a lot of console gamers out there that disregard Tormenter’s points about irrelevance and do not care about top-notch graphics and seem to appreciate the things consoles bring to the table in a “plug and play” manner.

Anyway, what was this topic about? Oh the PS4 error.

#45 9 months ago
  46. Tormenter

As I said, I agree that graphics AREN’T everything…. but when they are the main stay of the arguements of ALL fanbois when justifying their platform of choice, it’s impossible not to use them.

I go for gameplay.. hence the GOG catalogue and handpicked physical media.. and I’m afraid a lot, certainly not all though, of AAA are all furcoat and no kninckers.

..as for console gamers not agreeing with me, firstly, SHOCKER, secondly.. I could say (possibly optimistically) that there are pc gamers out there who don’t entirely disagree with me.

#46 9 months ago
  47. bradk825

@45 Yeah, I don’t care about exact numbers and I don’t know why Tormentor and Panthros think the numbers not being exact dismisses the argument. He’s just saying there are a lot of console gamers so console gaming is not irrelevent. And he’s right.

Also don’t see why they should care, since if they hate console gaming so much there is no reason for this to bother them. They can still use their PCs while we use our consoles.

They certainly made a lot of “my dick is bigger” points and I am very happy for them re:penis size. But it might be time for them to go play with it and let us enjoy this gaming news site where we discuss gaming and gaming news.

#47 9 months ago
  48. Tormenter

TBH, I’m not sure Panthro would want to be connected with my statements in the same breath, and to be fair it was a minor comment that he made, presumably because he couldn’t help notice the diconnect between perpertual steam account numbers and refreshed hw sales, so blaming him for my diatribe isn’t entirely acurate.

#48 9 months ago
  49. ManuOtaku

@44 Why not aproximate?, whats wrong with it, first most of the time in economics we use aproximates, for financial indicators and rates in particular cases like inflation, internal products numbers, debts, ect; secondly there is a lot of different sources that states different numbers for this type of things, there is not a single one source for this numbers, which lead to third most of the time putting a source with an especific number only leads to people attacking the source, which leads to another discusion entirely.

Therefore in this case i did like to use aproximates, i dont think they are far off, probably the numbers are a bit higher than that , i was doing and exercise to make an aproximate of console gamers, and besides the number of steam is also an aproximate, it could be more PC gamers than those on steam, they are not the whole picture for PC gaming either, and it could be also multiple steam accounts.

#49 9 months ago
  50. OneLifeCycle

@46 I’m also a PC gamer. I love diverse aspects they both offer. But I think I’m a console gamer, first and PC gamer second – even though the $$$ I spend on Steam sales may seem to indicate otherwise. I just can’t pass up a good deal.

#50 9 months ago
  51. mistermogul

Well my PS4 has experienced zero problems and has worked flawlessly the whole time I’ve had it… 6 hours!

#51 9 months ago
  52. Tormenter

And I’m the last person in the world to have a problem with that pov.. my ‘ire’ comes from the sheer stupidity (sorry if that offends, but that’s just the way I see it) in the console buying market…. fixed HW causing built in obsolensance of your purchased games, the inevitable calls of x console is the bestorZ, when it’s blatently obvious that whatever it does, the pc beats it blindsfold (that’s fact guys, not dickswinging), forced non compatibility and a stupifying acceptance of buying the same games several times because of that, lowest common denominator gaming caused by low specs in comparison to what is actually available dictating PC direction, an almost blind acceptance of x company line leading to things like the cult of personality over Major xbox guy (a paid shill) (I loved it when he endorsed the name Xbone over xbox180 et al and everyone fell into line).. I could go on and on and on and on.. and in the past I have done.

My point isn’t that my e-peen is bigger, it’s, why the fuck don’t any of you see better hardware and capabilities as better hardware and capabilities and just make the switch to an more open and rewarding platform (which would benefit the existing market.. i.e ME (lol)) instead of actively asking to have your consumer rights abused and thinking it’s the bestest thing since sliced bread… it’s what I see as the market stupidity and all the BS that sprouts up because of it that get’s my back up.. none of you should have ANY loyalty to MS or Sony.. they have sought to put their finger in your bottom at EVERY POSSIBLE TURN, yet you turn around, thank them and then hand them your wallets, which in turn changes the condition of the market forcing me to put up with the same shit.

I’m perfectly well aware how I come off.. arrogant and conceited, to say the least.. but from my point of view, if I didn’t have grounds for arrogance and conceit considering the comparisons.. I’d be in fucking trouble.

I don’t mind ANY of you garnering your fun where ever you get it, I don’t care… shouting black IS white all the time though just pisses me off. I don’t mind you being satisfied with your consoles, DO mind that the, frankly, incredible decisions you make as a mass, dictates the market and it’s going in the wrong direction. Rolling over does NO-ONE any good, but that’s all the console market has become.. an arse bent over a barrel.. with a fucking big smile drawn on it, and MS and Sony aren’t even looking at you as they do it, they’re eyeing us up.

Personal hate I don’t have, collective disgust, aye.

As a final note I apologise to all those I offend.. but there’s a good chance I won’t stop as long as these situations persist.

…and that’s about as honest as I can be.

#52 9 months ago
  53. fearmonkey

I have not experienced this though I have had a few crashes, mainly the FTP Blacklight:Retribution, and Netflix once or twice. I haven’t had a big game like Killzone, BZ4, AC:IV, or Lego Marvel heroes crash on me yet.
    I have had the console since launch so Im not sure why I have had less issues than others.

Hopefully people that have had game saves corrupted have the PS PLus coud game save going.

#53 9 months ago
  54. raygun73

I have been getting this error a lot since I got my PS4. What I did was to delete all my data under Online Storage Data and under Settings, I disabled
    AUTOMATIC UPLOADS/DOWNLOADS.

Now, my PS4 works like a charm!

#54 9 months ago
  55. bullyrag

I havent been able to play assasins creed 4 and playroom. I can play fifa. This only happened recently after i downloaded updates. I will try what @raygun73 has suggested and get back to this forum on my progress later today

#55 9 months ago