Skyrim memory tweak allows for 300+ NPC battles, better mod support

Monday, 20th January 2014 18:01 GMT By Sherif Saed

Skyrim may be two years old, but that doesn’t bother modders; a tweak has allowed the RPG to access higher memory amounts and makes things like battles with more than 300 NPCs possible without the usual freezes or crashes.

“Sheson,” a user on the ENB forum, is the mind behind the mod. His work allows the game to allocate much larger memory spaces over the standard 256MB, which means a potential for a higher number of NPCs on display, while offering better stability due to the large memory pool.

“When tesv.exe is started it allocates two 256MB blocks of memory. When the first block gets full, the engine will allocate more blocks. This can cause the known troubles. Thankfully, by telling the engine to request a bigger block from the start it magically makes use of it without any further ado. This isn’t the case with the second block. Thankfully again, the second block does not fill up as quickly and once it is full the engine does not trip over itself when allocating more blocks,” he explained in a forum post.

Thanks, PCGamesN, NeoGaf.

1. X14EVR

Mod support ruins game industries we would have a fallout 4, Skyrim 2 and Half life 4 already if all these pirate PC modders weren’t making more free content basicelly stealing from the developers.

They probably even pirated the game they are modding with pirated modding software on a stolen PC, everyone knows PC gamers are just filthy criminals we should start another petition to get Steam shut down since all it does is promote piracy.

#1 7 months ago
  2. TheSpinelessCarp

#2 You are profoundly unintelligent to listen to.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Erthazus

@2, You are crazy or just 8 year old.

#3 7 months ago
  4. X14EVR

The only unintelligent people here are all you PC pirates ruining gaming

Console IS the better place to be facts back that shit up PC is dieing and evrybody knos this.

#4 7 months ago
  5. DarkElfa

@5, please just shut up, you’re hurting my brain with your stupid.

#5 7 months ago
  6. X14EVR

Your tiny brain cant take facts

PC is ruining everything even Gabe Stool said Windows 8 was terrible and he is meant to be the holy god of PC. see even he hates the PC.

#6 7 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Wow, that’s… a pretty good satire of the anti-PC trolls we’ve had around here. Congratulations, X14EVR.

I just hope you won’t ruin it by pushing it further now that at least someone has recognised it as a satire.

#7 7 months ago
  8. DarkElfa

lol, “@7 Your tiny brain can’t take facts”

I agree with you. You’re post number 7 BTW.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Sethos

Can’t believe you guys fall for that easy bait, that’s like kindergarten trolling.

#9 7 months ago
  10. TheWulf

Anyway, whilst we’re on the topic of Skyrim mods, I absolutely must recommend Inigo. I don’t usually go for companion mods because the writing is so bad, but in this case, this is a character that I wouldn’t be surprised to find in an Obsidian game. On par with the likes of Raul, even. I don’t say that lightly.

So, if you mod Skyrim, that’s one mod to definitely check out.

#10 7 months ago
  11. TheWulf

It’s kindergarten trolling because we’ve actually had trolls around here who genuinely seem to believe the stuff that X is satirising. I don’t care to remember any exact names, but they were amusingly obsessed with ‘bringing down the pirate empire.’

So, yeah. A pretty good satire of those people.

#11 7 months ago
  12. Red Beast

@7 Jeez dude!
    Take a chill pill!

#12 7 months ago
  13. DarkElfa

I know its a troll, but when he starts calling us “fags” I’m over it.

#13 7 months ago
  14. Legendaryboss

So much stupidity, not enough common sense.

#14 7 months ago
  15. DarkElfa

@15, whats that Legend?

#15 7 months ago
  16. Legendaryboss

Words of acknowledgment, directed at Xbox One Forever (X14EVR).

#16 7 months ago
  17. DarkElfa

@17, indeed sir.

#17 7 months ago
  18. X14EVR

You got me Wulf, I actually love PC.

Anyway, back to my real account…

Time to retire my X1 T shirt for today.

#18 7 months ago
  19. Dragon

I hope after site revamp alt accounts lead to permanent banning.

#19 7 months ago
  20. Asgaro

10/10.

For trolling.

#20 7 months ago
  21. Darkfield

@TheWulf A Khajiit companion? thanks but no thanks. It’s bad enough they are part of the Aldmeri Dominion and I have to suffer them for the short time I’m planning to play ESO. Call me when found a mod as good as you say it is with an Argonian. That one I’d get.

#21 7 months ago
  22. TheWulf

How limited of you that you judge something based upon its appearance. Do you apply this to day to day life, too? That you would happily ignore everything about a person other than their outward appearance?

It doesn’t matter that the character is a khajiit, all that matters is that it’s an example of good writing. I don’t care about a person’s appearance, I care about their character, ideologies, and personality. This is why one of my favourite travelling companions in New Vegas was always Raul — a ghoul. I loved that guy.

I’m honestly disappointed that there are people who think like you do, but that’s the way of the world, I suppose. Not everyone is self aware enough to question why visual appearances matter so much to them.

Shame, really.

#22 7 months ago
  23. Panthro

Jesus don’t get over offended… He doesn’t like having the virtual presence of a Khajiit following him around in a game, so?

You would think he or she made a racist/ sexist remark about an actual person the way you have replied.

#23 7 months ago
  24. Darkfield

@TheWulf, I’m a racist, sue me! (albeit Khajiit and Orcs only, so don’t extend that to IRL)

Why do you always have to complicate things? :D

I’m all for good writing, I actually liked Ghouls in NV, I typically like Ghouls. They’re practically Undeads which is my favorite race of humanoids anywhere. I suffer the horde (World of Warcraft) only because I love being a minion in the Dark Lady’s grand schemes. So, forgive me if that is unappealing to you, but I don’t trust them furry beasts and would certainly not want to travel with them.

@Panthro you dig me! /hugs

#24 7 months ago
  25. absolutezero

If you can’t tell already Mr TheWulf gets really upset when people look down on humanoid creatures with hair covering their entire bodies.

Furry creatures if you will.

Fur.

#25 7 months ago
  26. Hyperx64

That’s a mod I will be checking out! A logical extension of the crazy Just Cause 2 Multiplayer mod.

#26 7 months ago
  27. Donest

my classmate’s sister makes $87 hourly on the laptop . She has been out of a job for 10 months but last month her paycheck was $18536 just working on the laptop for a few hours. go now,,,,,,,,,,,, http://x.co/3gQZM

#27 7 months ago