Bethesda hiring next-gen talent to push “bleeding-edge of RPG development”

Friday, 17th January 2014 12:44 GMT By Dave Cook

Bethesda Game Studios has posted a few job adverts online relating to RPG development on PC and consoles.

It follows our report on leaked documents that suggest Fallout 4 will be set in Boston. The papers came from an alleged casting call.

Now Bethesda Game Studios has posted this Game Programmer job advert which calls for , “talented programmers to join our team that is pushing the bleeding-edge of RPG development for the PC and consoles,” and lists “development experience on game consoles (Xbox360/PS3/Xbox One/PS4),” among the role requirements.

Bethesda is also scouting for a Quest Designer, with a post that reads, “In this role the Quest Designer would be responsible for designing and documenting stories and quests for future next generation products.”

Do you feel that these job adverts point to Fallout 4 for PC and current-gen formats? Let us know what you think below.

Via OXM.

1. Sethos

I hope that means a much, much bigger QA team …

#1 9 months ago
  2. TheWulf

I could never figure out how OBsidian got so much shit about unstable games, really, when Bethesda was always by far the worst in that regard. With New Vegas, they even commented in the game files about how atrocious the Gamebryo engine was and how they had to come up with ridiculous workarounds for inherent engine bugs that they can’t fix (not enough access to the sources, I imagine).

And New Vegas was substantially less buggy than Fallout 3. After all, New Vegas never had a game-killing bug where the game would constantly freeze when walking into a 25 per cent area of the map, and your only choices were to start over or wait for a patch (a patch that took months to turn up, versus the punctuality of Obsidian’s patches).

In fact, the only major game-killing bug in New Vegas was one that affected models, animations, and caused various kinds of corruption. And that? That wasn’t Obsidian’s fault. That was a Steam corruption error, something that Valve owned up to.

So, basically… Fallout 3, riddled with game-killing bugs that took months to be fixed. And New Vegas, plagued with a number of very small bugs which were punctually fixed.

I’m sorry, but people are such sheep, lacking the self awareness required to avoid bandwagons.

Just because of the bugginess of Knights of the Old Republic II (which was Atari’s fault for putting insane pressures on them to rush toward a ridiculous deadline, leaving a lot of content on the cutting room floor as well), some people started up the myth that Obsidian games are buggy messes. Did anyone question this? No. Sheep.

And no one ever talks about how ridiculously buggy Bethesda’s games are. Dragons flying backwards in Skyrim, anyone?

So, yeah. They need QA. But they also need to be called on their shit more often. I’m actually glad that there’s someone self aware enough out there to realise that Bethesda are responsible for some of the buggiest games to have graced any platform.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Hcw87

I completely ignore bugs when we can get such huge games as Morrowind running on the original Xbox (noone would have thought that possible), and Skyrim/Oblivion running on PS3/360. Something has to give, and with such scale there will obviously be bugs. But they’re nowhere near bad enough to avoid playing the games. I’ve played every Bethesda game, and i have yet to run into a gamebreaking bug.

#3 9 months ago
  4. bradk825

Finding the bugs is half the fun of the big games. Backwards flying dragons, NPCs suddenly spazzing out, bouncing horses, it’s all part of the experience.

#4 9 months ago
  5. FlyBoogy

Bleeding-edge RPG development and Bethesda just dont sound like two words that should be in one sentence. Skyrim was good but it was very casual. They need to work on gameplay systems like combat and add some depth to the game, make the world a bit more lively and react in a logical way to player actions.

#5 9 months ago
  6. deathm00n

@5 Poor Skyrim Era player… Bleeding-edge RPG is almost a definition for the Bethesda before Skyim Era. Morrowind was an new kind of RPG Genre when it came out, the size of the world was stunning at the time, so was the graphics. I say it’s bigger then Skryim. Oblivion showed the power of the Xbox 360 era, the best looking game in the system for a long time.

Skyrim was the exception, nothing in it impressed as much as Morrowind and Oblivion did before. In my opinion Skyrim is the worst in the 3D era of the series.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Moonwalker1982

I can’t speak for others, but i got nothing but trouble in Fallout New Vegas, truly more than 50 crashes, the game would just freeze. And not even that far into the game either. With Fallout 3….i got a crash after like 100+ hours. I cleaned up the 360′s cache and it was good again.

#7 9 months ago
  8. deathm00n

@7 I had these problems too, and performance issues. 3 worked perfectly in my old computer, but NV suddenly felt like it was made in a heavier engine. The game would crash if the FPS went too low. And this happened every 30 minutes.

#8 9 months ago
  9. thegrimmling

The game crashes was worse for PS3 players seeing Bethesda never really took the time to learn how to work with PS3 hardware as most of the other developers did. Add that to the stability issues of their game engine to begin with, it was just a mess. A mess I played a lot seeing the games are so good.

Oddly, for PS3, the most stable port was Oblivion. The third-party team they had working on that did a decent job. The crash rate was far less than any of the later ps3 ported games. The two biggest bugs was a face-distortion bug and never able to complete the quest to cure vampirism.

#9 9 months ago
  10. BrahManDude

doesn’t point to F4 but it shows that they moved to Next-Gen and that’s exciting all in itself

#10 9 months ago
  11. bradk825

@6 Morrowind changed my standards, Olbivion was one of the first games to show what Xbox 360 was really capable of. Skyrim, for me, looked like they were starting to run low on ideas for pushing the envelope.

My hope is next-gen will see them return to the ambition of Morrowind and Oblivion.

That being said, if Skyrim had launced instead of Oblivion we’d all have shit ourselves.

I would also LOVE to see an anniversary edition of Morrowind some day on current systems. Morrowind HD or something.

#11 9 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

@2 – I have said it before, but for me Fallout 3 at launch was more stable on Xbox 360 than Fallout:New Vegas was 4 months after launch.

Fallout 3 would freeze and crash but I could reboot and continue. Fallout:NV had bugs that majorly hosed up quests and I ended up having to wait for the next patch to fix. The bugs in NV even made me choose a different ending decision that I would have liked because of the stupid bug.

@6 – I disagree that nothing impressed in Skyrim compared to Oblivion and Morrowind. Morrowind was amazing, Oblivion’s world blew my mind when it was released, and Skyrim really improved on the engine and interface from Oblivion. The graphics in Skyrim on PC are just amazing and better with mods.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Obernox

I hope it points to Fallout 4 :)

#13 9 months ago
  14. briggstown

I really do hope that Bethesda is working on a true next gen Fallout 4 and they can get it out at a decent time.

@TheWulf – I never dealt with any game killing bugs with either game. But I did permanently lose one of my companions in New Vegas and that didn’t get fixed for a month or so. But I think Obsidian’s rep was hurt more so by Alpha Protocol and KOTOR 2 than it was New Vegas. At least when it came down to bugs.

#14 7 months ago