Windows 9 “Threshold” to be announced during BUILD 2014 in April – rumor

Saturday, 11th January 2014 18:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Good news for those who loathe Windows 8: Microsoft is rumored to be making an announcement regarding Windows 9 during BUILD 2014 in April.

According to SuperSite for Windows, which specializes in posting everything public and secret regarding Microsoft products, the Windows-maker plans on releasing the new operating system in April 2015.

Currently being worked on under the moniker “Threshold”, the pre-alpha build of the OS will be made available to developers after BUILD 2014, and will consist of three milestone releases before it’s sent to manufacturing.

“Threshold” is also believed to be an update to Windows 8 following “Blue”, which would bring together Windows PC, Windows Phone and Xbox One operating systems.

We’ll know for sure come April, I reckon.

Thanks, Neowin.

1. Gigabomber

So they’re not forcing a new “better” non-backwards compatible OS on people every 9 months like Apple? for shame!

#1 9 months ago
  2. CPC_RedDawn

In fact no they are not. W8 was released 1st August 2012 which is 17 months ago now. Windows 8.1 was a free update, and Windows 8.2 will be a free update also and will bring back the much needed Start Menu people have been craving.

They are not forcing you to upgrade, I still use Windows 7 X64 and its perfectly fine and still receives regular updates.

By the time W9 is released to the public W8 will be 3 years old (nearly 4 years).

So no, nothing at all like Apple.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Dragon

It doesn’t matter. Steam OS will dominate the world by then.
    :lol:

#3 9 months ago
  4. debug

@Dragon
    lol trolling? (:

@CPC_RedDawn
    lol any proof of “will bring back the much needed Start Menu “?
    Otherwise you’re just getting these infos out of your ass, and it’s not a nice thing to do!

#4 9 months ago
  5. Erthazus

Interesting. I hope they will fix every freakin issue with that POS.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Erthazus

This time around they will probably make heavy integration with Xbox One. That is going to be interesting, because Sony does not have that advantage.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Panthro

When I read ‘Metro 2.0′ I instantly shut down the webpage.

Its a horrible design and totally goes back on everything they perfected with the previous iterations, Sure some people like it but some people also like pickled onions and they too are gross.

#7 9 months ago
  8. wolfenjosh

I hope so, so that they can crash and burn together.

PS4LIFE

#8 9 months ago
  9. Edo

@3 It’s good to know that loki is getting a worthy successor.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Sherif Saed

Oh my god, that banner :D

#10 9 months ago
  11. Stephany Nunneley

@10 I know, right? *laughs* Thus the “lol” in the photo title.

#11 9 months ago
  12. ManuOtaku

@3 that world wouldnt be worth living it, that is a nightmare scenario right there, i hope you did bite your tounge while saying that ;).

#12 9 months ago
  13. Harrow

I’ve seen no reason yet to leave win 7

#13 9 months ago
  14. Citrus raptor

All Windows logos should be made in Paint, as an homage.

#14 9 months ago
  15. FeaturePreacher

I sure hope windows 9 can bring the fast start up and shut down times to my windows 7 machine. Plus I hope they bring a tabbed file explorer in both traditional style and metro for my surface 2.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Dragon

@12,
    You realise that was a joke, right? ;)

#16 9 months ago
  17. Diingo

If Microsoft is the Titanic and Windows 8 is the iceberg…. then Windows 9 must be the ship finally sinking.

#17 9 months ago
  18. Digital Bamboo

^ Let’s not raise the Titanic metaphors from the depths whence they sank…oh my God, now I’m doing it!

#18 9 months ago
  19. mistermogul

@1 – What’s your problem with Apple’s OS updates? They’re free!

#19 9 months ago
  20. Marvin the Paranoid Android

“Good news for those who loathe Windows 8″

I wouldn’t be so sure. It seems it’s going even further in the “PC = tablet” direction…

#20 9 months ago
  21. Janet W. Hutchens

I’m making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $76 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I’m my own boss. This is what I do,… http://WWW.TeC80.COⅯ

#21 9 months ago
  22. sebastien rivas

So far I am 100% with @ 13
    Even if I had a win phone and/or Xb1…

What I want from Windows 9:
    1) 0% cluttering ADs or rolling WIDGETs right on my desktop or anywhere for that matter and of any kind. None, nothing, rien, nada, nic, lutho, không, and to finish with Mongolian translation “юу ч биш”.
    2)Freedom of choice and options as much if not more than in win7
    3)Faster Boot of course
    4)Ever more reliable and stable platform.

Fail with 1 and 2 and I will keep my windows 7 one more cycle…Because again, even if I had let say a win phone and a Xb1, all media BS faster/better integration and communication between each device would be COOL of course but seriously it would be the least and the last on my needy tab in a Win OS.

#22 9 months ago