Oculus Rift ‘Crystal Cove’ prototype designed as “a seated experience,” says founder

Saturday, 11th January 2014 20:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Oculus VR showcased the latest version of its Rift headset, dubbed Crystal Cove, at CES 2014 in Las Vegas last week.

According to a Q&A with Reddit Games featuring Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey and vice president of products Nate Mitchell (via Q&A in the video below.

1. Panthro

Can’t wait.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Asgaro

Words can not describe the hype I feel for this device.

I haven’t even tried it myself yet, but if you look at all the reactions (both written and filmed) of all those who tried it, you can’t be but fascinated!

I’m also very glad that these guys made their own luck: they started from a Kickstarter, got lots of investors on board (and still going), got Carmack on board, they take their time instead of rushing a product out the door, they are on close collaboration with Valve, they are talking with AAA and indie developers, and they will open source their software as much as possible.

On top of all that they are so down to earth (the above video shows this nicely) and are genuinely awesome guys.
    As a fellow engineer (student), I have to say I start to see them as some kind of role model.

I hope they don’t get bought out by bureaucratic corporations with their closed platforms, like Sony or Microsoft. I’m pretty sure they have already gotten tons of propositions but so far they stay independent. Good.
    (They don’t even need the extra money since they are already collecting tons by investment rounds on their own.)

Will gaming on a flat screen still be relevant when this thing gets on the market?
    We’ll see. Probably, but I won’t be that guy.
    I’ll take a first class ticket on the Oculus Rift Hype Train and my PC is ready for it. :D

#2 11 months ago
  3. ManuOtaku

Dont me wrong, i think this will be great and i hope something like this, or this, come eventually to consoles.

But as old school as iam, i will keep waiting for the holographic console like the star wars chess game, that will take me to gaming heaven (nirvana)

#3 11 months ago
  4. spoffle

@Asgaro, Your PC may be ready, but is your body?

#4 11 months ago
  5. Mus42

@3 Sounds like you should check out the CastAR goggles

But personally I’m waiting for this – the Oculus Rift that is – as I think its going to be mind blowing.

#5 11 months ago
  6. ManuOtaku

@5 thanks for the link, that was nice, but i want something different, i want the console to be the proyector, without the need of glasses, tv or surfaces, like a console hologram displayer, you see the game like the star wars chess game, without the need of glasses.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Harrow

@1 +1

#7 11 months ago
  8. ddtd

@2 – I don’t think we have to worry about them selling the company, at least for now. Kickstarter isn’t their only revenue. The company has several investors and quite a few are developers.

#8 11 months ago
  9. dtyk

I believe they got a ~$75 million investment. They’ll have the money to run for quite a few years.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Asgaro

My body will never be as ready as that-Nintendo-employee-of-which-I-forgot-the-name but I’ll try to prepare myself.

#10 11 months ago
  11. TERMINATOR-SSD

Im surprised that no info has been said about TrackIR, its very similar to how TrackIR works with its infrared tracking. Either way i cant wait for this, since Arma games with head tracking and flight sim games ive hope that EVERY game would have head tracking. And the Oculus is that one step into that dream.

#11 11 months ago
  12. wishdokta

I think it’s going to be similar like expensive steering wheels. Nice to have but no mass appeal. Further, it’s limited to a single player’s view.

I mean. Titles like Outlast must be creepy as hell being played with Oculus. But I can’t imagine I’m gonna purchase this if it’s a) very expensive and b) can’t be used with other titles I want. Like let’s say with Halo.

Keeping fingers crossed for Carmack & crew.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Janet W. Hutchens

I’m making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $76 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I’m my own boss. This is what I do,… http://WWW.TeC80.COⅯ

#13 11 months ago
  14. lookingglass

@wishdokta

That’s really an apples to oranges comparison.

When you try the Oculus, you know it’s something special. You take it off and you know it’s going to change everything. And it won’t change just gaming.

It can’t be described because you’ve never experienced anything like it. You think you can imagine it, but putting it on really makes you realize you had no idea how it’d feel.

There are obvious genres that’ll work well with Oculus; driving and flight simulators. Others sound good but won’t be ideal like FPS games.

But it’s going to be the games hard to place in genre that’ll offer the best Oculus experience. It’ll be indie games that offer beautiful almost spiritual experiences that’ll leave a last in impression on you. It’ll be the kin of immersive experiences you can only get on Oculus and they’ll be some of the most unique and memorable moments in gaming.

#14 11 months ago
  15. sebastien rivas

No I don;t think @12 compares apple to orange but further away on the spectrum, yet, what his feeling may not be erronous but I believe The VR while super hype at first will come to mass markets and every home around the world in record times.

Humm I want one by the way… but… show me the price tag first heh?!?!?

#15 11 months ago
  16. Panthro

I am pretty sure they are sticking with the same price as the prototype or even cheaper, Im sure I read that a while back.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Patsycoconut

@lookingglass

I had a chance to try out the Oculus VR Dev kit a few months ago. It is hardly describable…like a previous reply…you can imagine all you want but until you put it on you don’t really know.

I believe it will become widely integrated and is already supported on many titles (mod or included support)

I was ushered through a few supported titles and I have to say that one of the best experiences I had was with half life 2. FPS put in a whole new world, aiming was easier than ever…very good!

I cannot wait to get my hands on a consumer set. Hopefully they release before the year is out!

#17 11 months ago
  18. sebastien rivas

Tell me if I am wrong but that was in the order around $300~400, am I correct?

That would be sweet if price tag can remain the same.
    VR would just spread around the world like a wildfire in the bush in Australia.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Panthro

$300 yep.

Which is around £180, and that very good value for money in my opinion.

#19 11 months ago