Marvel’s Agents of Shield accused of copying Mass Effect 3 environment art

Friday, 10th January 2014 08:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Mass Effect 3 fans spotted something slightly ‘off’ about an establishing shot in an episode of Marvel’s Agents of Shield. See what you make of this one folks.

UPDATE: A pair of BioWare developers have responded to the matter on Twitter. They had this to say:

The attached image makes you wonder if this sort of thing is happening more often that we realise.

Cheers Eurogamer.

ORIGINAL STORY: Eurogamer reports that BioWare’s ‘Mass Effect 3: Earth Alliance’ lithograph print seems to have stacked up quite nicely with a building seen in Agents of Shield’s December 10 episode, ‘The Bridge.’

Here’s the original BioWare print, sold in a limited print run of 500 copies:

Compare that to the Agents of Shield establishing shot (which is watermarked so I won’t embed it here), and you can definitely see some architectural similarities, can’t you?

It’s not clear if show-makers ABC or Marvel asked EA or the studio for use of the imagery, but none of the parties have stepped forward regarding the matter.

We’ll have more as it comes.

Via Gamespot.

1. CycloneFox

It’s somehow funny to have one building in one universe with another version advanced far into the future in another universe.

I would count it as some sort of fan-service. I know it’s, legally, not okay, because if you let that pass, they might as well come up with a whole mass effect ripoff in another series, without even asking bioware, but I don’t know. I’m allways happy to see references from one nerdy universe in another one.

#1 8 months ago
  2. mataus57

play skyrim and find about a dozen lotr knock offs

#2 8 months ago
  3. CycloneFox

I suppose the difference between most fantasy-stuff copying from each other and mostly from Tolkien, of course, and this is Electronic Arts…

When it comes to image-data, Mass effects Talis face was also critizised for its stock photo origins.
    When it comes to its world and enemies, Mass effect stole alot from Star Trek and its Borg race.
    When it comes to the story, the whole ending and its background was (badly) stolen from Xenosaga Episode III, where it was at least prepared properly over the whole series for 6 years. Of course, Xenosaga (like Xenogears already) helped on itself with themes and images of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell and Neon Genesis Evangelion. But it at least made it obvious by quoting and using names of Blade Runner for example.

Alltogether I think Mass Effect and Electronic Arts are the last to complain about this topic. They should actually be honored to finally be quoted themselves.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Tormenter

Deleted. it’s not even worth the comment.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Kreion

Reading your comment…I don’t think you actually know what stolen means in a creative sense. Unless it is a straight up clone, there’s nothing wrong with taking inspiration from other creations.

#5 8 months ago
  6. CycloneFox

@5: I know what you mean. That’s why I differed between taking image-data and taking inpiration (The three ‘When it comes to…’-lines). I must admit, that by reading my post, it’s not clear, if I’m talking about a legal ‘steal’, or just about copying stuff while suggesting originality.

What I meant was, that EA/Bioware did both and can’t really compain. But that is the kind of company EA is.

#6 8 months ago