CES 2014: Sony unveils new head-mounted display, offers virtual 700-inch screen

Tuesday, 7th January 2014 08:43 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony has unveiled the latest iteration of its HMZ head-mounted display line at CES 2014 in Las Vegas. It offers a virtual 700-inch screen, 3D support and more.

(Note: the image attached to this article on our homepage is of the headset’s old model, as Sony is yet to issue photos of the new edition.)

It follows last year’s launch of Sony’s HMZ-T3W headset, which retails at $999.

Now, VentureBeat reports that the new HMZ-T3Q offers a virtual screen that can stretch between 700-750 inches, and tracks head movement so a user can turn to focus-in on a desired area of the screen.

Sony Electronic’s president and chief operating officer Michael Fasulo took to the stage during CES to state, “The head-mounted display is a theatre on your head,” before revealing that the device is completely portable.

We’ll have more on the device as pricing and release details are revealed. Stay tuned.

1. KAP

This is the exact news I’ve been wanting to see.. and how they’ll impel this to PS4

#1 9 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

@1, it’s not a VR headset its basically just for watching films.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Fin

Man look what happens when Matt leaves Gamesindustry!

“HMZ-T3Q boasts virtual screen size of over 700

Sony has gone public with an updated head-mounted display at CES, revealing the sleek HMZ-T3W during a presentation fronted by Michael Fasulo.”

#3 9 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 Yeah I noticed their mistake too. The T3Q is new, the T3W came out last year.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Bowser

That “virtual 700-inch screen” ish sounds like complete buzz marketing that means nothing. I’ll need to hear the resolution before I take too much interest. I don’t think I will even with a high res, though. I do love Sony so it’s not a dis but I don’t think the PS4 is ready for this. I see this as something that will be more appealing when it’s had newer models and a lower price tag around the time the PS5 will be coming out, which will possibly have this device specifically in mind in the design phase.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Panthro

This is probably for watching 4K movies… I can’t imagine how stretched a 720p image would look on a 700inch screen…

I kid (sorta) but 1080p still wouldn’t be enough in my opinion.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Panthro

And lol… All those kids getting excited that they were going to have a VR headset like the Rift on there PS4, to bad eh… Maybe next gen.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Tormenter

Panthro

Are you being so dumb as to suggest that these support 4K?

NO CHANCE!!