Steam Machine: 12 prototypes on show at CES 2014 via Alienware, Gigabyte, more

Monday, 6th January 2014 02:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

At least 12 companies are working on Steam Machines, the third-party manufactured computers designed to work with SteamOS and the SteamController.

According to Engadget, a round dozen companies will have prototype Steam machines on show at the Las Vegas CES 2014 this week.

The list below includes iBuyPower’s $499, console-like Steam Machine, but excludes Digital Storm’s high end, liquid-cooled rig, although we had expected it to go on show. Engadget expects further announcements during Valve’s press conference.

Potential Steam Machine owners will have a wide variety of manufacturers and models to choose from, with Valve hoping this will ensure there’s a Steam machine to fit everyone’s budget and lifestyle. It did ship out prototype units for testing, but will leave production to third-parties in the main – although it will be the sole provider of the fancy-pants Steam Controller.

• Alienware
  • Falcon Northwest
  • iBuyPower
  • CyberPowerPC
  • Origin PC
  • Gigabyte
  • Materiel.net
  • Webhallen
  • Alternate
  • Zotac
  • Scan Computers

1. TheWulf

This is getting more and more exciting. It’ll be nice to see this level of consumer choice come to the user space, perhaps this will stop the endless battling of the Microsoft and Sony tribes.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Erthazus

12 prototypes already? Amazing.

#2 12 months ago
  3. FeaturePreacher

Why would something like these machines, which will be less popular than the ouya, calm down the competition between ps4 and xbone fans?

#3 12 months ago
  4. sebastien rivas

I agree on the fact the steam machine is not here yet and certainly not meant to DETHRONE anyone.
    However, only a blind man with lack of taste and confidence would judge a Steam machine for a Ouya… just saying… its like saying a xb1 is a Ouya or ps4 is a Ouya.. Are they?

#4 12 months ago
  5. FeaturePreacher

Not comparing an ouya and stream machine in terms of power. The steam machine is obviously more powerful than an ouya. Just saying that it’ll be as popular as an ouya. PC gamers don’t want a static box and console gamers don’t want a $500 device with no games to trade in. This, therefore seems aimed at no audience as far as I can see.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Gekidami

#6 12 months ago
  7. TheBlackHole

@5, @6

They’re designed to be upgradable for a start, so it’s not a static box. Also, PC building and upgrading can be very daunting for the uninitiated, so this presents a great middleground for many – a console-like experience that you can upgrade with ease.

It also presents something that CONSOLE gamers have been screaming for – a console that is designed to play games, not run multiple OSs, apps and superfluous features at the expense of power reserved for gaming (although some will be able to run dual OS and have extra features for those that want it).

To me it looks like Valve have taken Google’s approach and built the gaming OS equivalent of Android. A popular, stock OS that anyone can implement into custom hardware, catering for the low and high end user. Indie gamer or core, high-end user.

“This, therefore seems aimed at no audience as far as I can see.”

I can’t see how you’ve come to that conclusion. It’s designed for everybody, depending on your gaming preferences. That’s the beauty of having multiple SKUs.

Their biggest hurdle will be the controller. I’m just not sure people are ready for touch-based movement replacing analogue sticks. Still credit to them for trying.

#7 12 months ago
  8. NocturnalB

I’m a consistent hater of most fanboyism, to be pro one corporation, and anti another, it’s ridiculous. That point aside, I think the Steam machines are great. I have a PC as well as multiple consoles, but I’d love a “PC-esque” console, to be able to choose what features and upgrades to have.

As easy as it would be to just hook my PC up to my living room big screen, I still see these machines have a lot to offer. A stream lined PC-esque console (or a console-esque PC?)… A gaming optimized machine for the living room with a controller like a console, but with the ability to quickly and easily upgrade hardware like a PC.

And above all, the games. I love playing my PS4, XB1, but their are always going to be certain games and genres that will never be on traditional consoles, like Star Citizen, the majority of MMO’s, MOBA’s, etc…

Like I said I could just as easily hook my PC up to the tv and sync a controller, but i still see the potential here… Except for the touchpad controller, that’s a no-go for me. But I’m sure you will have the option to sync your own.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Erthazus

@Gekidami The Playstation white knight,
    “^ Its aimed at the console despising Steam fanboys, luckily they’re a tiny insignificant faction of the community.”

If they were a minority. No one would make 12 FREAKIN prototypes from a companies like GIGABYTE, Alienware or Zotac. It is not even a launch.

#9 12 months ago