Elder Scrolls Online devs explain how to become Emperor and what it means

Monday, 6th January 2014 12:41 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online will give players the chance to earn the title of Emperor in Cyrodiil. Zenimax Online Studios has explained how you do it in a new interview.

It follows our report on The Elder Scrolls Online release dates across PC, current and next-gen formats.

Now, speaking with OXM, the developers explained that reaching Emperor status depends on earning Alliance Points.

You’ll earn these tokens by winning fights in PvP, healing allies in battle, gathering experience and more. You’ll also earn Alliance Points by capturing keeps dotted around Cyrodiil, which also bestow bonuses and new territory on all members of the group.

Once an alliance has gained control of all the keeps surrounding the Imperial City, the member with the most Alliance Points will be crowed as Emperor. The title will give all of his or her followers a new tree of stat bonuses to enjoy for the rest of their Elder Scrolls Online career. Losing the title will see those buffs decreased, but you’ll still have them in some form.

Game director Paul Sage told the site, “Players who become Emperor will get a full skill line that they keep throughout the rest of their lives in The Elder Scrolls Online. It won’t be easy to become Emperor, but we think people will be glad they worked for it.”

Are you looking forward to The Elder Scrolls Online? Let us know below.

1. silkvg247

So most Emperors will be 12 year olds then? Or dole dossers.

I love how mmo’s keep making the exact same mistake i.e. giving bigger rewards to people with the most free time. Like they should be patted on the back for having no real life commitments.

What about players with less playtime but more skill / strategy? Nah can’t possibly break the mould, time sink = reward it is then.

#1 12 months ago
  2. jberg

my neighbor’s ex-wife makes $67/hr on the internet. She has been out of work for seven months but last month her pay check was $16563 just working on the internet for a few hours. this page>>>>>Bay91.COM

#2 12 months ago
  3. Christopher Jack

@1, MMOs aren’t about skill or strategy. Granted it helps but I don’t think you’re going to want to subscribe to this game in the first place if you can’t put much time in.

#3 12 months ago
  4. silkvg247

@3 If you think about it, it’s more about how much time you can put in vs. the time other people can put in.

I can put in a good 4 hours per evening and most of the weekend, which is a lot for a full time worker. It’s still going to be a lot less than people without jobs though, and so, I’d never be an emperor.

That just reeks of bad game design to me, always has.

MMOs can be designed to have skill or strategy be a driver, that was my whole point. Using time = reward is a method that needs to stop, it’s banal when everyone’s paying the same and playing when they can.

#4 12 months ago
  5. _LarZen_

I am so ready to just dive in to a new mmo world. I hope this game will be a great place to have adventures in.

I really miss the good old days in World of Warcraft when it was all new and so exciting.

#5 12 months ago
  6. MorHawk

“The title will give all of his or her followers a new tree of stat bonuses to enjoy for the rest of their Elder Scrolls Online career.”

Yeeeeeeeah. That’s wrong. Skill line’s just for the Emperor.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Hcw87

Yeah, because WoW turned out so great in the end after listening to people like yourself.

Hardcore players NEED to be rewarded. If you dedicate 100 hours a week in an MMO, ofcourse you should be better rewarded than someone who just plays 5-10 hours.

Also why play MMO’s in the first place if you feel you can’t dedicate enough time. MMO’s are the most timeconsuming genre by far.

#7 12 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

@1 – Sadly it’s just the way it is with MMo’s. I always felt a bit jealous of all the goodies my Raiding friends got but I never had the time to constantly raid and be available. It’s one reason I stopped playing Wow, after leveling multiple chars to High levels, I realized that All the best stuff was for raiding and I didnt want to make that time investment for virtual rewards.

#8 12 months ago
  9. NinjaHart

Actually, it’s ALL about how MUCH time you spend in the game, of course it is a big factor, but the main thing is HOW you spend your time in the game.

Emperor will be crowned by HARD WORK in the game, so you can’t just run around killing level 1 monsters and be Emperor.

Besides, is this really that much worse than all the pay to win games? The more money you have, the stronger you get?

Rewarding people after their effort and willingness to actually work hard to reach a goal seems to be pretty fair to me.

I don’t have to work, but I still know that I’m never going to be Emperor in ESO, I just play too many different games to stay with 1 game all the time. Besides, I like to have fun in the games I play, so I’m not going to chase after a title that probably going to feel like a chore to get.

#9 12 months ago
  10. TheWulf

I couldn’t agree more, honestly. It’s also really bad for society as a whole, and leads to behavioural addiction. If, for example, a person with an inferiority complex plays an MMO like WoW, then over time they’re going to become addicted. Part of that is WoW convincing them that the time they invest gives them real and valid worth in the world of WoW.

If I raid one more time, I might get the last piece of that armour set I want, it might drop. If I get the complete set, I’ll get the love and the support of my peers. Therefore I must either constantly be raiding or grinding for consumable sets to do the raiding. This is my only source of worth.

I had two good friends who fell into that trap and they gave up everything for WoW. The worse example is probably the more recent one, because of how obvious the change is. Said friend used to have a varied blog that covered a number of interests that I actually enjoyed reading about.

Post-WoW? His blog is a ‘mostly in-character’ blog and 99% of the content is about WoW elves or faction leaders.

When I look at what his blog was, and what it is now, it just leaves me feeling both really sad (at the loss) and really cold. This is what happens when a game conditions you successfully to believe that your time invested will give you real worth. And worse, it preys on people with a powerful enough inferiority complex to buy into that. It’s a predator, it goes around looking for those with low self-esteem, and then replaces their life with a game.

On the other hand…

You can play a Mario game for a few hours a day and you can get good at it, it can improve your reflexes and your precision. That, in turn, will allow you to become better at other platformers. You can then show off your worth with scores and competitive gameplay. This applies to a number of other game genres, too, such as RTS.

I, too, prefer the skill/strategy/tactics approach over time. The only reason time is used is to addict people. Reward schedules et al. The next week of solid grinding might give them what they want, or it might not. This emperor thing is no different than a tier whatever drop in WoW — if you play long enough, the emperor role might ‘drop,’ as it were.

I think you skimmed over the point he was trying to make.

His point wasn’t so much that this game should be that but rather he’s sick of the ubiquity of soul-sucking MMOs that leave people as nothing more than lifeless husks, whose life has been left behind. Social life? Ha! Parter? Newp! Job? Haah! Any other interests? No, no, and nnope!

I’m reminded of that article where the mother let her children die because they were a hassle that got in the way of her WoW addiction.

What he’s saying is that he’s sick of the ubiquity of that.

And what he’s saying, then, is would it be so bad to have something more like, say, the JC2Mod but with content actually designed to accommodate a lot of people. The sad part is is that even without that content, the JC2Mod is hands down the best ‘MMO’ I’ve ever played. It is that because it doesn’t require a lifetime’s worth of time investment, nor does it put time over skill.

There’s no law that says that an MMO can’t be about skill, tactics, and/or strategy over time. Guild Wars: Prophecies, even, was a large scale game that put strategy and tactics over time.

If hardcore players need to be rewarded then they should earn it through feats of skill, or shows or strategy, rather than simply vast swathes of time.

I spent 72 hours awake in my basement playing WoW! I didn’t even go to the bathroom!” – This I cannot respect. In fact, this terrifies me.

In a short period, I became the world’s best Starcraft player.” – This I can respect.

Both are Blizzard games, but the one requires time, whereas the other requires strategy.

The notion of ‘work’ in a game is an oxymoron. There is no work in a game, work is something you do to make a living. This just reeks of standard MMO behavioural conditioning, and I’m sure you believe what you’re saying, too. More is the pity.

Of course, I’m sure that this will result in the usual hollow vitriol of insults rather than well reasoned arguments. But that’s what I’ve come to expect from MMO fans. I guess all that time spent in an MMO and not actually socialising would turn one into a sociopath.

#10 12 months ago
  11. NinjaHart

@10 Seeing how you judge me from what you might have experienced from other “MMO fans”, pretty much shows that you already came with insults. But yes, you can put in a lot of work in a game, not everything need to be taken literally, but of course, if you want to live by the definition of everything, you are just going to end up like someone with no opinions of your own.

I don’t need to defend what I said and I do stand by it. Meaning that if you just goof around in the game, you won’t get much “work” done in the game. If you can’t understand what that means, it’s not my problem.

I don’t concider myself as much as a “MMO fan”, I’m just a gamer who enjoy games.

#11 12 months ago
  12. bac0n

I agree with earlier sentiments that his feature will be at best dismissed as unattainable to all but the most obsessed ESO players (and let’s face facts – only those who play this game to the exclusion of almost every other facet of their lives save biological needs will have a shot at Emperor) and at worst off-putting. But at the same time, I recognize that those who sink a lot of time/energy into the game should get something back in return, so I for one am cool with it.

However, a better strategy, in my opinion, and I’m hoping Zenimax is smart enough to implement this, is to reward loyalty rather than simple hours sunk into the game, cuz the guy like me who sinks 300 hours into a game but takes six to nine months to do so is gonna make them more money on subscription fees over the course of those 300 hours gameplay than the guy who sinks in 300 hours in a single month before ODing on mountain dew and doritoes.

So, that being said, let’s hope we get goodies for sticking around for 3 months, better goodies after six months, and so-on. That would be pretty nice.

#12 11 months ago
  13. mehdi24c

@1 why shouldnt they? people who put time and effort into an mmo should be rewarded. How do you think WOW lost so much of their subscribers its because they had to make it easier for casual players like yourselves. There is a reason why its called an MMO because other people are playing to and want to become emperor as well. If you want to go play a game that revolves around you and accustoms to your time go play skyrim.

#13 11 months ago