Phil Spencer applauds Sony’s commitment to new IP, discusses importance of “long-term commitment” to franchises

Friday, 3rd January 2014 15:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer believes “long-term commitment” to franchises is important, and has applauded Sony for it’s willingness to invest in new IP and focus squarely on the consumer.

Speaking in the latest issue of OXM, Spencer used Quantic Dream titles such as Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls as two example of Sony’s tenacity to bankroll new ideas.

“Sony – and I’m focused on first-party because of what I do – I really respect their focus on investing in new things and creative things, what they’ve done with David Cage and Quantic Dream around Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain,” he said. “They stay committed to franchises even if they don’t sell 10 million units, they’ll stay committed to things.

“I think that long-term commitment to franchises is important, where it’s easy to pull off the Band-Aid and move onto the next thing [if it doesn't sell]. I respect their stick-to-it-iveness. I’ll say, they’ve done a nice job with PS4… When I think about their announcement, their clear focus on a customer, leading with the value proposition of what they’re trying to do, staying true to a vision, I think they’ve done a nice job in how they defined the PS4.”

Spencer also had glowing things to say about first-party Nintendo titles, citing the firm’s ability to “lead what they do as a company” with their original IP and – in a sense- build its platforms around said IPs.

“They have such iconic stories and this will seem somewhat random, but when we go back and do something like Killer Instinct, a little bit of the history of your franchise can actually be important part of people feeling connected,” said Spencer. “Obviously the history of Killer Instinct isn’t a history on Xbox, but it’s Rare’s history and I think the reaction when we announced it on-stage at E3 showed that playing to the people’s heart, I think Nintendo does that as well as anybody in terms of hitting the franchises and having huge success with them.”

You can read the entire interview with Spencer in the latest edition of OXM.

1. Delsin Row

are you joking?really?do you really say that by yourself?
    every one knows that.but they go and buy microsoft consoles

#1 3 months ago
  2. 30Sumthin

Maybe he’s looking for a job at either Sony or Nintendo…

#2 3 months ago
  3. Pytox

lawwl

#3 3 months ago
  4. Delsin Row

if you”re looking for a job at sony or nintendo please dont shy :lol:

#4 3 months ago
  5. sho0ok

^^You guys are jerks, even when the guy talking about something good you talk sh!t about him. So who is worse for the industry DRM or you monkeys :)

#5 3 months ago
  6. Hcw87

^
    It’s just the token Sony fanboys in a MS thread.

In other words, just a normal day on VG247.

#6 3 months ago
  7. sho0ok

^yeah I guess you’re right, I don’t know why even I bother feeding the monkeys /:

#7 3 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

I would rather have this kind of discourse between Sony, Nintendo, and MS than what has gone on before. I hate the snide bad mouthing stuff from company execs, so I have to say I’m impressed with his attitude here.

Keep it up!

#8 3 months ago
  9. Spider Law

The fanboys make us Sony fans look bad.

I love to see stuff like this and see how the big guys can keep respect for one another. Now if the community could just follow that same principal, that would be great.

#9 3 months ago
  10. OneLifeCycle

I’m glad they’re investing in IPv6 too! They need to embrace the new IP!!!

Oh, not that IP? Well then, what is this IP you’re referring to? I must have missed the memo that apparently went out to everyone else on the planet.

#10 3 months ago
  11. sho0ok

^ you’re kidding right? MSFT clearly has more new IPs at the moment than sony and am not talking about indies which barely anyone plays. The problem is the real fanboy here is Sony themselves, we all remember the jabs they have been taking to MSF from E3, the game barrowing video(which make them fools now since they reversed the policies) and on Twitter every time there is negative news about Xbox by the sushi/yushi guy. lol

#11 3 months ago
  12. junguler

even tho i’m not gonna be picking a Xbox1 or WiiU, and PS4 is gonna be my gaming console (after i’m done with PS3), i have a great respect for all these people in the gaming industry, there is a console for everyone and every mindset, gaming is awesome and we are awesome for being gamers :P

#12 3 months ago
  13. Legendaryboss

Group Hug everyone! No takers? Crawls back into cave.

#13 3 months ago
  14. Junior

@Shook, I know you are angry with the responses here but saying things like MSFT having more IPs atm is pure bs. Knack is actually the only new IP atm between the two and it is on sony platform. Msft has 2 new IPs coming out in the FUTURE.

Sony has a good track of introducing new IPs. That is why it was praised. Nothing right now makes it look like Sony is about to change.

#14 3 months ago
  15. sho0ok

@Junior sorry if I came out as angry but am not its just games it is not even worth it. BTW new IPs (Ryse, TitanFall, Sunset overdrive, Quantum Break and the 4 games from Black Tusk studio) to my knowledge these are quite a few, unless you’re not counting third party exclusives. :)

#15 3 months ago
  16. Junior

I understand. Both companies are great. The game game industry is like this: Nintendo brought the industry back, Sony glorified it and MSFT upped the technology and competition.

So far, Sony is the only only one trying something new (obviously not including PC) while the other two are going for what is an easy profit–nostalgia and shooters.

All have something to offer but we can’t take the same games all over again. Also, how many shooters do we need?

Microsoft was pushing the industry forward with competition and technology but lately they haven’t focused really in games (something new and different). Anyone with a 360 cant come up with an exclusive first party that came out in 2013. PS3 on the other hand had 3 that were considered either enjoyable or amazing.

That is what is needed from MSFT.

#16 3 months ago
  17. Agt_Pendergast

Anyone else think it’s sorta a back handed compliment when he mentions Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls as examples?

#17 3 months ago
  18. Junior

@agt_pendergast well those are bad examples as they are more like a game with little interaction or a movie with lots of interaction.

I never tried Heavy Rain but I played B2S when I was burned out from intense gaming. It was just what the doctor ordered.

What most people don’t understand is that HR and B2S are testers for the system. This generation had a lot of studios help one another with improving the games for the Ps3. Naughty Dog, specifically, helped a lot of the studios that were falling behind due to the complicated ps3.

#18 3 months ago
  19. sho0ok

@Junior U should play HR its very good even better than B2S but the ending of boyend was little bit better. It was very good in terms of story and twists.

#19 3 months ago
  20. sebastien rivas

Jesuss fucking Christ Phil Spencer, that is all you can do? applause the competition.

Do Something instead…. ANYTHING, please, DO ANYTHING but don’t bring the halo series with a director’s name to back up the credibility of a TV show as a form of XB1 media center. Gamers don;t give a shit about PASSIVE entertainment.

Talk about a fucking VR XB1 certified with a game under the sleeve.
    I don’t know, do Something to excite your MS crowd.

#20 3 months ago