Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen announced as next MMORPG from EverQuest designer Brad McQuaid

Friday, 3rd January 2014 17:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Brad McQuaid, key designer of EverQuest; co-founder of Sigil Games and developer of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, is working on a new MMORPG titled Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

McQuaid tweeted the news after the game’s official Twitter account was unearthed by fans ahead of a Kickstarter announcement for the project.

Despite earlier reports, Sony Online Entertainment is not involved despite this, domain registry filed back in November.

SOE purchased Sigil Games in 2007, and after years of working with SOE on and off, McQuaid announced he had returned to the firm back in March 2013 to work on EverQuest.

In September, McQuaid announced that he had left SOE once again in an official capacity, but was still “working closely” with the company, leaving many to assume his next project was a “spiritual successor” to both EverQuest and Vanguard.

The Kickstarter for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is expected to go live later this month.

Thanks, TenTonHammer.

1. The_Red

“Rise of the Fallen”
    Now that is a name I would have expected to be used a lot sooner by some game or movie as subtitle.

#1 12 months ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

Massively.com updated their piece on this after being contacted by Pantheon’s PR team: SOE are not involved with the project.
    @1 There was that subtitle for Transformers 2 that was close, but this subtitle sounds like a no-brainer to peg on a cheap horror movie.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

Thanks. I changed things to reflect the more accurate information.

#3 12 months ago
  4. TheWulf

I expected that title to be planted on something banal, too. Though I didn’t ever expect anything to use it because it would tag that thing as being banal and devoid of imagination.

It’s not often you get to check a fantasy game off your list by name alone.

I swear, they’re getting worse. Why did this happen? Even as recent as Wizardry 8 fantasy was being marvellously strange. Then it just… stopped. I remember in Wizardry 8 I had a lot of fun talking to an intelligent AI-controlled spaceship who believed it was more self aware than organics, and was rather annoyed that I kept talking to it. My magical priest-wolf was absolutely fascinated by this act of almost solipsistic faith beheld by a mechanical mind. So he was quite insistent on not going away.

At least, until it threatened him with plasma cannons. I think that’s what happened, anyway.

I really find normal fantasy limited because it’s the same old thing over and over. Pretty much every one is a clone in setting of the last. Whether it’s Amalur, the Witcher, or whatever, even going back as far as Baldur’s Gate, the only differences are very slight aesthetic ones.

And still the only atompunk game I can think of is Fallout, which Avellone went to great lengths to make less fantastic after Fallout 2. (I can only think that someone at Obsidian was constantly kicking him in the nuts over this, and that that’s why Old World Blues happened.)

You know, instead of yet-another-by-the-numbers-fantasy-game, we could have had a new atompunk game! Or a teslapunk game, or something as marvellously unique as Sir-Tech’s take on the Wizardry Universe was. Hell, even as unique as Ultima VII…

Memories. I remember in Ultima VII I found a crashed Kilwrathi ship, witnessed by a crazed farmer who also possessed a hoe of death due to some mishap by a now dead wizard (he was supposed to enchant some barbarian’s sword and got things a little confused), the random Laurel & Hardy and Star Trek parodies, the Unicorn and the fox with a bow…

It’s also the humour that’s gone, too. The verve, the life, and the passion as well, ultimately comprising the soul of the affair. But mostly the humour. I miss fantasy not being a pseudo-intellectual teenager riddled with angst. I miss fantasy being a well-adjusted, mature adult that knew how to laugh at itself.

I don’t know. This riles me up every time I see another by-the-numbers fantasy game, copying every other by-the-numbers fantasy game. Even down to having an absolutely banal D&D-style title.

At the very least, I miss fantasy having a sense of humour. And even the Witcher’s innuendo doesn’t come close (too gritty).

I feel like it’s a bit of a nightmare for that genre/setting, and I’m wondering when fantasy will wake up from it and become the grown up, novel, varied, marvellous thing it was always supposed to be.

Rise of the Fallen, really? Who plays these things.

#4 12 months ago
  5. DarkElfa

Well, let’s be honest, if you’ve fallen, all you can do at that point is rise.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Hybridpsycho

@TheWulf

I think you misstook the comment section for your blog.

#6 12 months ago