Sleeping Dogs free as first January Games with Gold title

Thursday, 2nd January 2014 00:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

United Front Games’ Hong Kong open-world effort Sleeping Dogs is now available for free to Xbox Live Gold members, as part of Microsoft’s Games with Gold promotion. Grab it here until January 15, after which it will be replaced by Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. More information is available through Xbox Wire.

Thanks, CyberMarco.

1. Takeshi

PS Plus members got it in May.

#1 9 months ago
  2. The_Red

Finally, a decent AAA game that’s not from pre-historic era comes to Games with Gold. Hopefully MS gets it shit together and starts offer more of these instead of Halo 3 (Decent but super dated game IMHO).

And while we’re on the topic of wishful thinking (Plus happy new year!) I hope Sony starts to make up for its own shortcomings with PSN. Sure, PS Plus is a million times better than Gold in terms of free stuff but when it comes to actual online service, Xbox pretty much kills PS.

#2 9 months ago
  3. TheBlackHole

Correction. PS Plus members got ‘to rent’ it in May.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

Thats much better, see competition has its value to us.

And i bought this game when it launched, your point being?

#4 9 months ago
  5. Hcw87

I wonder when free stuff starts coming to XB1 aswell, i’m sure they mentioned it somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/14/xbox-live-gold-members-to-get-free-xbox-one-games-monthly-in-201/

#5 9 months ago
  6. Fin

First time I’ve actually raised my eyebrows about the Live games. Wonder if they’ll keep it up, or will it go back to being shit.

#6 9 months ago
  7. lexph3re

I got it on Both consoles now. I’m cool with that, finally found a reason to have live now. Gonna buy a year and just rack up my collection on 360. Good show MS (although I still don’t forgive you for disabling background downloads on EVERYTHING)

#7 9 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@7 “although I still don’t forgive you for disabling background downloads on EVERYTHING”

Wut?

#8 9 months ago
  9. lexph3re

360 disables background downloads while you play games or watch movies. So, I have to wait until these 6gb files finish downloading before I can do anything. Really annoying since I can download and play games/movies/Netflix etc. on PS3.

Never pay attention to the feature and how useful it is until I got the PS4.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@9 It only does that when the game is making use of network functions, as far as I know. For obvious reasons.

Never knew it did it for movies.

#10 9 months ago
  11. PEYJ

Since you have to be a gold member to get the next batch of free games and to be able to play online, the “yours to keep, whether you are a member or not”, is purely cosmetic.

As the benefits from being a member of Plus (and the almost necessity on PS4) far exeeds that of Xbox Live, I can’t see why anyone would not stay a member on the Plus service. So no, we already have it.

#11 9 months ago
  12. lexph3re

Yep, watched Netflix/Hulu even while playing all my games. It disables and prioritizes the bandwidth. It’s just annoying to me, I like actually doing things while waiting for things to download. So for me I would have liked an option to disable that feature.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Os Money

you can always just play on some single player level. Thats what I do.

#13 9 months ago