Letter from the new editor: allow me to introduce myself…

Thursday, 2nd January 2014 16:00 GMT By Matt Martin

I’m the new guy on VG247. I’m here to scissor kick games news in the back of the neck.

Who am I? I’m the z-trigger. I’m the droid you’re looking for. I’m the one who knocks. I’m the Illusive Man, an agent for the Galaxia Bureau of Investigations. I planned the Ludendorff robbery. I’m the dog at the controls of Silent Hill. I’m the haunter of the dark, the gateway drug and the T-Virus. My name is Matt and I’ve been writing about video games for about 12 years. I started in magazines (ask your dad) and then moved online. I play lots of video games. They are my daily bread.

This is me in the “lab” where the magic
happens. For “magic” read “typos.”

I’ve loved VG247 since it first launched. I used to work with old editor Pat Garratt, and I know him from the dark days we’re not allowed to mention. I’m pleased to be working with Dave, Brenna, Sam and Steph, too. They work like machines. I’m so excited about this I’ve spent most of the Christmas break trying to create VG247 gang signs with my fingers.

Because VG247 is a great site. Actually, it’s a bloody great site, and has gone from strength to strength, particularly over the past year. 2014 is going to be a big year again, with our redesign kicking off this month. Honestly, wait until you see it – it’ll reach through the screen and slap you around the face. In a good way.

I’m here to drive VG247 to greater things. Drive it like a freight train through a barnyard. It’s the right time to make changes and reinforce strengths, with a new era of home consoles on the loose, weird and exciting projects from the indie community, the continued rumbling forward of PC gaming and the potentially bonkers future of virtual and augmented reality. There has never been a better time to play video games. We’re in another golden age. I don’t know where all this is headed but I want to sit up front and scream for everything to go faster.

They say being a games journalist means you’re often hated by both your audience and your subjects. Tough shit, I say. Cry me a river. It’s a privilege. We do it because the end result is always greater than the trouble it took to get there. VG247 works towards one goal: delivering some of the best hardcore video game media on the internet. Stick around and come get some. It’s all for you. Fill your boots.

1. Badumtsss

I expect a lot of puns this year.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Ireland Michael

I’m blown away that you didn’t include “I’m a man of wealth and taste” amongst those descriptions.

FIRE HIM IMMEDIATELY!

#2 10 months ago
  3. Pytox

cant wait for the redesign
    welcome !! :)

#3 10 months ago
  4. tenthousandgothsonacid

Can we have an ignore button please

#4 10 months ago
  5. WARRILAD

Great indroduction, cant wait for the redesign.

#5 10 months ago
  6. OmegaSlayer

Too much hyperbole, I’m very unimpressed by all those (empty) words, if I can be honest.
    VG247 is a gaming site I visit because of his plain sincere honesty.
    That I expect, straight honest, even if controversial, not a river of words.
    Hope this is just some prank gone bad and not your writing style.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Dan

I’m looking forward to “the greater thing” you mentioned in this awesome introduction :)

#7 10 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@6 There’s always one.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Dragon

Welcome!

#9 10 months ago
  10. stretch215

@6 Did somebody shit in your coffee this morning? Give the guy a break, man. He’s just introducing himself.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Eregol

This reads like an attempt to get every cliched saying in the book in one article.

Anyway. Welcome. I look forward to seeing VG247 take off.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Are you suggesting he’s the man himself there Michael? :)

#12 10 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

@12 Hahaha. Nah. Matt seems cool.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Stephany Nunneley

@13 He is actually. He is one of two people I now work with on here that I have actually met in person – the other being Sam.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Cobra951

Nice visceral entrance! Welcome. I can’t wait to see where VG heads this year, and I hope you can help it reach new heights.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@14 Apparently I’ve had him on Xbox Live for years, although I’ve no idea how or why. =P

#16 10 months ago
  17. Joe Musashi

Welcome Matt. I’ve often enjoyed your stuff at GI.Biz.

Your tone here is.. ..different.

JM

#17 10 months ago
  18. fearmonkey

Welcome Matt :)

#18 10 months ago
  19. bradk825

@10 I was having the same thought. Perhaps it was Matt himself who did the offending dookie? He had to have done something to inspire such anger, right?

LOL, on a serious note, I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the new year.

#19 10 months ago
  20. Erthazus

Awesome. Welcome Matt and your first post is full of gaming references. :D

#20 10 months ago
  21. Edo

And now for something completely different.

#21 10 months ago
  22. OmegaSlayer

@8 and 10
    Didn’t liked the introduction and said it honestly.

I was the first to welcome him in the other news, so I haven’t anything against Matt, just hoping this is just a witty introduction and not his actual writing style, because then I wouldn’t enjoy it as I’m used to few frills here.

Also, consider that the less the frills, the more people that is non native English enjoy the piece.

My morning coffe is always sweet but turns bitter when I drink it ;)

#22 10 months ago
  23. wicktus

Finally a redesign :).
    Welcome matt :)

#23 10 months ago
  24. dizzygear

Anybody remember the old perfectly functional kotaku site before they redesigned it into something utterly shit that drove away a large portion of their readers a while back?

Not sure if i want a redesigned vg24/7.

#24 10 months ago
  25. revolting

Nice introduction in, my opinion. I don’t often comment on the site or visit the forums, because, well, just look at the comments section of pretty much any topic, but I’ve been reading the articles daily since the beginning… VG247 has been the most convenient and most accessible gaming news hub for me since its inception, with the most reliably unbiased and least irritating selection of staff. Looking forward to seeing things evolve in years to come.

#25 10 months ago
  26. DarkElfa

Welcome to the Thunder Dome, may God have mercy on your soul.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Gheritt White

Blah blah blah GET BACK TO WORK.

#27 9 months ago