Happy New Year from VG247: aspirations for 2014 and beyond

Tuesday, 31st December 2013 20:13 GMT By Staff

Happy New Year, friends, fans, spam bots and people who are so bored on their holidays they’ve dropped in to leave derogatory comments about other people’s sex lives. What are you looking forward to in the year to come?

2013 was a stellar year for VG247. Our traffic hit a new record, and then did it again, and then did it again – for which we can’t thank you enough. The launch of two new consoles kept everyone busy and positive, and for the first time in ages triple-A development started doing interesting things again, even if we won’t actually get to play with them for some time to come.

There were so many ups and downs this past year in gaming news that to track it all seems impossible, so instead, we’ve decided to ignore it all and pretend it never happened. Let’s look to the future, and ask the VG247 crew hard questions about what’s to come.

What are you most looking forward to in gaming in 2014?

Sam Clay: TITANFALL – OBVIOUSLY – CAPS NECESSARY.

Dave Cook: Dark Souls 2, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, Titanfall and the announcement of Half-Life 3 because why the hell not?

Stephany Nunneley: South Park the Stick of Truth and hopefully getting a PS4. In development, I will be curious to see what “new” things come out of the latest consoles and if developers will start pushing the hardware.

Brenna Hillier: Dragon Age: Inquisition, Titanfall, Watch Dogs, Thief and, although I’m quite surprised at myself, Destiny.

Patrick Garratt: I’m most looking forward to the end of 2014. It’s going to be the start of next-gen proper; should be an exciting time. E3, too, should be fantastic next year.

Titanfall’s definitely going to be one of the biggies this year – but if 2014 is anything like the years before, we’ll have quite a few surprises on the way.

What are you looking forward to in 2014 on VG247?

Sam the Oncoming Storm: Investing some time in new video ideas and finally getting that new website, that’d actually be the best christmas present.

Dave the Unbroken: Our re-launch and E3 2014. This is going to be the biggest one in year, make no mistake.

Steph the All-Conquering: The reluanch. Definitely the relaunch. Hopefully it will please our readers and they will stop yelling at me about it. *crosses fingers*

Brenna the Mighty: I’m really excited for the Tokyo Game Show this year. We took the last two years off because it was such a poor line-up, but this year I’m back in action. Please let there not be any boats.

Pat the Eternal: There’s some really exciting stuff going on! Can’t talk about any of it just yet.

So it looks like the relaunch is on our minds, but whatever Pat is teasing must be pretty exciting if it tempted him into using an exclamation mark (banned since the great enthusiasm incident of 2009).

What are you most looking forward to in 2014 that we haven’t already covered?

Samwelicious: People wearing glasses with the numbers 2014 somehow designed into them. Other than that? Obviously to live out the impending apocalypse.

Daffyd: Scottish summer, going on holiday abroad for the first time in a decade (press trips aren’t holidays) and seeing The Raid 2 in the cinema.

Stefanotron: Getting a new car – well, one that’s new to me anyway, and I plan on leaving the state for something other than work. My niece graduates in May so I plan on going to that – maybe go to the beach on Spring Break in March to South Carolina with my BFF Saxon and my god-nieces. Basically leaving the house. Life is too short and feel as though I am standing still and everything/everyone is passing me by. You only live once.

Brendigliana: Lots of things. I’m finally getting my half-sleeve started; I’m hoping to get much, much closer to first dan in naginata; I’ll probably get eye surgery; I’m going to change my name; and with any luck I may even move.

Patrice: I’m finishing up my second novel in January and February, and I’m aiming to write the third later in the year. Very much looking forward to getting the current book finished.

Wow, this section almost makes it sounds like VG247′s staff are well-rounded individuals who occasionally get out in the fresh air, have aspirations, and form human connections. Nonsense, obviously.

Now you – what’s on your radar for 2014? Answer all three questions for bonus points.

1. Dragon

Yeah yeah, relaunch first then we will talk :P

Happy new year guys!

#1 7 months ago
  2. Patrick Garratt

It’s coming! Eventually :)

Happy New Year to you all!

#2 7 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

2014 Hopes/Wish list:
    Japan rebounds, in contrast to west actually considers this a new generation and reacts accordingly – Tie-in: FFXV hits the ground running, knocks some onlookers for six.

Titanfall delivers.
    The Eidos/Square-Enix odd couple come good. Thief doesn’t feature mainstream basic AI, exudes style and sophistication. (new Garrett doesn’t butcher delivery of script.) More Mana (please? :) )

Elder Scrolls Online isn’t stuck between rock and hard place, finds an appreciable audience who appreciate. NC West remembers it’s part of something MUCH bigger, again.

Tide turns against yearly sequels. Publishers use digital platforms to pilot promising full-game concepts. (functionally like Greenlight, only the game demo/experience is complete and functional)

Ubisoft introduce us to “II”, restore The Prince, and Patriots falls with honour.

Long odds: Namco decides to have some self-respect, and rescues Ridge Racer from f2p exile.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Obernox

Happy New Year guys.

I seriously can’t wait for Castlevania LoS 2, and E32014 ought to be interesting considering the new consoles.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Pytox

Happy new year to you all !!
    I’m mostly looking forward to Evil Within, Destiny, Titanfall and ofcourse Watch_dogs :-)

and half life 3 announcement would be insaaaane :D

#5 7 months ago
  6. bradk825

LOL. Happy New Year VG247 and fellow readers. Don’t drink and drive or I’ll kill you (in Call of Duty of course. I don’t kill people in real life, I find it distasteful).

#6 7 months ago
  7. wishdokta

Happy New Year everyone. Greetings from Switzerland.
    Looking forward to Dying Light and my next console.

#7 7 months ago
  8. fihar

Gaming-wise, I’m looking forward to the next Persona and Trails in the Sky SC and I’m finally thinking of biting the bullet and finally get myself a Vita.
    I’ve also been earnestly praying for Dragon Age 3 to not suck.
    As for what I’m hoping from vg247, definitely the relaunch.

For the non gaming-stuffs, I can’t wait for the start of the new Formula 1 season, the new Real Estate album and to watch Her, The Lego Movie and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Happy new year guys!

#8 7 months ago
  9. tenthousandgothsonacid

A relaunch with an ignore button please. That way the comments will become readable again.

#9 7 months ago
  10. polygem

happy new year!

i’m looking forward to the relaunch as well – hoping for an ignore feature.

for 2014 i hope that the wiiu will be picking up some steam. it’s a great device. i hope that gamesjournos and gamers will finally realise and appreciate that more.

i also hope that in 2014 mainstream devs will finally realise that not every gamer is a male tween and that it will show in their games.

#10 7 months ago
  11. KineticCalvaria

Who made the derogatory comments on people’s sex lives? Do tell :-).

Happy new year all!