Holiday gaming: what the VG247 crew are up to over the break

Monday, 23rd December 2013 08:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Hello! We’re not dead, we promise; we’re just very busy ploughing through our gaming backlogs, or taking a much needed holiday from new releases with some old favourites.

If you’ve got some time off over the end of the year, we hope you’re putting it to good use. Yeah, you could get all that overdue paperwork done, or clean out your closet, or engage in healthy sporting activities – but let’s face it, it’s cold/hot/disagreeably tepid outside and you don’t often get the opportunity to sit down and game to your heart’s content.

On those rare occasions when Pat won’t be chasing his children from one end of the house to another in an attempt to stop them suffering cardiac events at the excitement of Chrimbo, he’ll be doing some gaming. The boss man says he’s going to finish Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag and Killzone: Shadow Fall.

It’s not just about completing unfinished stories, though; Pat’s recently fallen in love with Resogun, and will be pushing for Hero. Follow him on Twitter and friend him on the PSN to follow along.

Dave also plans to spend some time with Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag, but he’s got his eye on a prize, too. You may remember his long obsession with Dark Souls; he was so happy to beat Ornstein and Smough he got them tattooed on his arm, and his delight at finally beating the tough-as-nails RPG was well documented.

So during the break he’s stepping back into the past and firing up Demon’s Souls, the game to which the Dark Souls series is a spiritual successor. What’s next, Dave? King’s Field? Do it.

Steph also wants to get in some time with RPGs. We all know what a fan she is of The Elder Scrolls, and it’s no surprise she wants to cosy up with Skyrim again during her break. Hopefully we don’t lose her for a month like we did last time; there’s a heck of a lot of content in Bethesda’s latest, even more than two years on.

Our global news editor may also dabble in Torchlight 2, perhaps better known in these parts as the fearful life eater. We just hope she doesn’t alert Pat to the existence of multiplayer or we won’t see either of them until next Christmas.

As usual, Brenna’s gone to the beach for Christmas, leaving her consoles, PC, handhelds and decent Internet connection behind. Nominally, this is a gaming detox, and she will spend all her time in the fresh air, but if history is anything to go by she’ll last about three days. After that, she’ll start marathoning the Steam games installed on her work laptop like FTL and Dungeons of Dredmor, or reigniting obsession with Kairosoft titles like World Cruise Story, in a pathetic attempt to reconnect with her poison.

Sam, on the other hand, is quite likely to stick to his plans, Oh, sure, he’s promised to put some decent hours into next-gen games, but otherwise, he plans to spend his time with board games. naturally your thoughts turn to complicated, strategic german affairs that take a day to set up and three weeks to finish, but it turns out he just wants to play Monopoly, describing himself as the Goldman & Sachs of the classic.

And now friends – what are you playing over the break? Putting time into your new next-gen purchases? Clearing the backlog? Making an annual pilgrimage through your favourite RPG? Catching up with mates in an MMO? Being ruthlessly owned by teenagers in the latest multiplayer shooter? A bit of couch co-op with your nearest and dearest? Taking advantage of your Steam sale bargains?

1. Dragon

Disgaea 3, Killzone Mercenary and Persona 4 Golden.
    And returning to New Little Kings Story for my year end platinum.

#1 8 months ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

Unfortunately family will be getting in the way of my gaming for the next week or so but I’ll try and sneak in a bit of Entropy (Early access space MMO), maybe Black Flag and might try EvE Online too…

#2 8 months ago
  3. Francis O

Deus Ex Human Revolution Director’s Cut, Bayonetta 1 (5th time), Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart Wii Online (getting ready for MK8), Fire Emblem Awakening (Lunatic Mode), Dark Souls, BioShock Infinite on PC.

Too many games….not enough time.

#3 8 months ago
  4. OwnedWhenStoned

Skyrim, Antichamber and Assassins Creed (yes, the first one. Never played it for some reason)

And inevitably Football Manager.

#4 8 months ago
  5. digmouse

God of War Ascension I grabbed from PSN deals, and finish Forza Horizon since I got discounted Season Pass as well, also Borderlands 2 and GT6 too.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Obernox

Disgaea D2 is gonna take up my entire winter dood.

Also playing:

Okami HD (surprisingly long)
    Guacamelee! which i got on sale for $3.75 and damn fun.
    Persona 2 EP
    Muramasa rebirth
    Dragon’s Crown
    Injustice complete edition
    Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD

Too many games………… and there’s more in the backlog i haven’t touched T_T

#6 8 months ago
  7. OwnedWhenStoned

@2 Is Entropy any good?

#7 8 months ago
  8. azrael8577

Right now I’m into Splinter Cell: Blacklist. If it weren’t for me accidentally deleting BF4 on Xbox One and having to download it again (patch froze at 98% so I canceled the download which wiped the entire game off my hard drive) the game would probably still be sitting.

I really got into the game, even played some of the coop missions, something I don’t normally do when I get a game through Gamefly.

#8 8 months ago
  9. polygem

Just, finally, completed windwaker hd. it was my 2.5th playthrough and it actually almost was a speedrun for me. was stuck again in the wind temple though but not for long and cheated by googling 2 triforce shard locations :)
    enjoyed it a lot and it really made me excited for a wiiu zelda. i do also crave a metroid game. i´ve saved the last temple of ALBW for the holidays so i´ll finish that game too. i also play dkcr again on the 3ds, maybe some nes remix as well. ps4 is gathering dust atm. i play some bf4 from time to time but that game still is a broken mess. resogun online coop is ace. if i will find the time i might give zombi u another shot (ha) when it hits the sale. oh, and my girlfriend returns in a few days coming home from home and we´ll have to finsih mario 3d world. quite a lot huh?

#9 8 months ago
  10. The_Red

Brenna with FTL and Dungeons of Dredmor and Dave with Demons Souls. You guys have awesome tastes though I’d like to suggest some Spelunky as well as those games.

#10 8 months ago
  11. KineticCalvaria

@7, The features at the moment are fairly basic as it’s alpha, graphically its decent enough. It all depends on how much work the devs put into it with further development, as it stands its very buggy and missing a lot of features (only like 2 missions in the game at the moment) but it’s fairly cheap and it has the potential to be good fun. As far as I can tell the devs are interacting well with the community via the Steam forums and have a clear idea of what they want to achieve.

It’s up to you if you buy into it, may be worth waiting for the full game though :-).

#11 8 months ago
  12. Legendaryboss

Well i will be playing:
    1. Just Cause 2.
    2. DBZ HD Collection.
    3. DBZ Battle Of Z Demo.
    4. Bulletstorm.
    5. Pokemon Y.
    6. GTA 5 (Still playing since launch).

And hope to buy and play Mafia 2 Director Cut eventually after Christmas. This is a very classic/catch up themed playthrough with some new treats in there.

#12 8 months ago
  13. fihar

Probably not much. There are still some Plus freebies I haven’t touched, I’m thinking of finally getting my hands on Remember Me and/or Metal Gear Rising, in between sporadic sessions of Gran Turismo 6 of course.
    Which reminds me, I still haven’t even played GTAV.

I’m definitely going to be busy listening to a bunch of records I’ve missed over the year, Disclosure and Vampire Weekend is currently at the top of my list.

Happy holidays, guys!

#13 8 months ago
  14. absolutezero

Warframe and more than likely bugger all else.

There is a slight potential for me to play some of the games I bought on Steam last night but I doubt it.

#14 8 months ago
  15. naffgeek

Super Mario 3D
    Zelda : Link Between Worlds
    Wind Waker
    Rayman Legends
    Tearaway
    Don’t Starve
    and Rocksmith
    and probably some GTAV online
    and maybe some GT6

hmmm I might need another few weeks off!

Blimey it’s been a good year for games :)

#15 8 months ago
  16. Legendaryboss

How charming.

#16 8 months ago
  17. monkeygourmet

I’m hoping to get Mario 3D World for Xmas, really glad I’ve saved that till Christmas Day! :) as well as that, will be playing:

NES Remix
    Finishing Windwaker HD
    Zelda 3DS
    BF4 (PC)
    Beyond two Souls (PS3)
    Dragons Crown (PS3/Vita)
    AC4 (PC)
    Day Z

My 360 is dead to me now! :) free from the shackles of gamerscore!

#17 8 months ago
  18. OwnedWhenStoned

@11 Thanks for the info.

It really piqued my interest, but I’ve sworn off early access stuff for a while, as I haven’t got time to muck about. I’ll keep an eye on it though.

#18 8 months ago
  19. Telepathic.Geometry

I foolishly decided to give FF XIII a shot there today. Already regretting it, after the barrage of cutscenes I’ve had to endure. You’d think I’d have learned my lesson, but it was dirt cheap…

Anyway, over Christmas, I will probably try a bit of Nintendoland and Zombie U with the GF, and otherwise play my Dishonored and Amalur DLC, and polish off a few trophies. Maybe see all of the endings for Beyond.

By the way, Happy Christmas to everyone! ^_^

#19 8 months ago
  20. lexph3re

Currently really getting into KZ:SF Multiplayer. I haven’t played an FPS multiplayer this much in years. But, my backlog is super full with:

One Piece Pirate warriors 2(such a fun game)
    Bioshock Infinte
    Splinter Cell Black List
    Borderlands 2
    Final Fantasy RR(I think my sub is about to expire)
    Dishonored
    Gears of war 1-3(hate the series but I’m going to force myself to beat it before I talk about it anymore)
    Halo 4(halfway through it)
    Killzone Mercenaries(I haven’t been feeling like playing my Vita lately. I’ve played just about everything on it since release and a little on the fatigue side)
    Witcher 2
    Tales of Vesperia
    Tales of Xillia

……. Why the hell am I still buying games?

#20 8 months ago
  21. 313714

I will not get next gen console until I completely finish these games campaign:
    final fantasy 13
    final fantasy 13-2
    resident evil 6
    red dead redemption
    gta v
    maxpain3
    ghost recon:future soldier
    infamous 2
    devil may cry:dmc
    and a lot of other games that I dont have time to write them all here,its better that I go finish them before this gen get completely over :’(

#21 8 months ago
  22. Dena T. Kellar

you have to work and use the computer and internet, and if you can do that and dedicate some time each day then you can do this with no problem. I have been working with this for a month and have made over 1957 bucks already. let me know if you need more help. http://bit.do/fHpz

#22 8 months ago
  23. Digital Bamboo

Welp, I just went & treated myself to 10 games as a Christmas present to myself the other day which brings my total to near 150, most of which I haven’t played.

Naturally, I won’t be playing any of those new games yet, but will likely fire up The Last Of Us next, if & when I finish Ni No Kuni, then DKCR.

Undecided after that, but I’ve got 3 solid weeks off in February, so I should be able to get through a few more games then.

#23 8 months ago
  24. OwnedWhenStoned

Further to my previous post, I just bought Witcher 2 and Arma 3 in the Steam sale. I hope it rains.

#24 8 months ago
  25. SplatteredHouse

Installing my preferred Steam games in my library, but now…I can happily download AND play all at once! (imagine a scene from a 60s washing up liquid commercial here ;) )

Other than that, I continue my quest to digitalise every game (one drm for another…Progress!) so I never need drag out the heaving box of instruction manuals, or find an individual disc in order to play.

Also, I’ll get back to the lush Final Fantasy XIV, and in between, time-stealing blasts of PUZZLE QUEST (Revenge of the PlagueLord, not that Marvel f2p)

#25 8 months ago