Destiny began as a third-person only title

Monday, 23rd December 2013 23:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Destiny, a shooter from the creators of the franchise that made first person shooters a mainstream affair, was originally conceived as a third-person game.

In a video interview with GameInformer, as transcribed by Shack News, Bungie’s Ryan Ellis revealed the shift in Destiny’s perspective.

“We actually were at one point third-person only,” the technical art director said, but “We wanted to make a kick-ass action game, and we decided first-person was the right place to do that.”

Destiny is now a first-person shooter, and unlike The Elder Scrolls games, for example, doesn’t let you shift back and forth at will. There will still be opportunities to see characters in third-person, though.

“There is some third-person elements in the game still. That’s important for gameplay, and to show off your cool moves and the cool armour you get,” Ellis said.

Destiny, a shared-worlds shooter (read: console MMO) is coming to PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One sometime in 2014. It’s Bungie’s first project since leaving Microsoft and the halo franchise, and combines sci-fi and fantasy aesthetics.

1. jomac3db

Should’ve kept it 3rd person might’ve been better. Even though I’m excited for this I’m sick of fps games. It should’ve been an option to use fp or tp.

#1 4 months ago
  2. SlayerGT

@1 I agree. Like Borderlands what’s the point of character customization if you don’t see em.

#2 4 months ago
  3. freedoms_stain

@2, you see em when you get in and out of vehicles :p

Also it helps distinguish between the 3 guys playing Zer0, because that seems to be all any cunt plays.

#3 4 months ago
  4. SlayerGT

@3 Hahaha! Touche :-) Or when looking through your backpack huh? So I take it PS4 is not your destination for BF4 Freedoms? Miss having a sniper around with skills ;-)

#4 4 months ago
  5. The_Red

Kinda sad because I really like their armor designs and would have preferred to see my guy (Especially if there are visual customization options).

#5 4 months ago
  6. hakaff

Close, then I’ll buy the first one.

#6 4 months ago
  7. dontbescaredhomie92

Am I the only one who is glad it isn’t 3rd person?
    I don’t have a problem with it with the right sort of game and style but when a game looks this good you need the immersion that 1st person provides, we may have been over-saturated with FPS for the past 10 years but when it comes to a game like this how can you complain?

#7 4 months ago
  8. Inspectre

… immersion? It’s a multi player game.

#8 4 months ago
  9. dontbescaredhomie92

@8 I’m really struggling to see your point?

#9 4 months ago
  10. azrael8577

@9 One of my biggest problems with Halo Reach allowing u to customize your armor is not being able to see it on the battlefield. Not saying it should have been 3rd person because it’s a Halo game. But Destiny is something new and allowing u to swap between the 2 perspectives would have been a nice compromise.

I don’t think I would have been any more immersed in Mass Effect if it were 1st person.

#10 4 months ago
  11. Keivz

I’ve always disliked the first person perspective. I find it a bit silly what with your arms usually out in front of you (in fps’s, anyway) and I feel a bit short changed by not being able to see my character/car. And to top it off I usually get motion sick if Mirror’s Edge–it’ll be the last one I ever play as well.

#11 4 months ago
  12. Hcw87

Well considering this is Bungie (and they’ve allways done FPS games very well) i don’t see why people would want it any different. You’ll get third person views on mounts and likely whenever you bring up the menu to change your gear.

And most importantly: Other people will see your gear.

#12 4 months ago
  13. Bowser

“the franchise that made first person shooters a mainstream affair”

Bullshit, FPS games were mainstream long before Halo. Ask any guy who was a preteen, teenager or in their 20s in the late ’90s about GoldenEye and they’re probably going to have put hours and hours into it. Most of us were well-versed in the FPS well before Halo.

#13 4 months ago