Double Helix: unannounced game is next-gen shooter, new details emerge – report

Friday, 20th December 2013 12:22 GMT By Dave Cook

Killer Instinct studio Double Helix Games is said to be working on a sci-fi shooter for next-gen formats. It follows a recent concept art leak, along with fresh rumblings from the development community.

If you missed the Double Helix concept art leak from a few weeks ago, just hit the link. Each image was created by The Last of Us artist James Paick, and the studio has remained silent on the matter ever since.

Now NeoGAF member Steverulez has stumbled across the LinkedIn profile of one Allen Will, senior VFX artist at Double Helix.

Allen states he is currently working on the team’s Strider Reboot, along with ‘Unannounced Action Shooter’ for next-gen formats and PC.

His role responsibilities for the project are as follows:

• Responsible for guiding visual direction with Creative Director and Art Director for the games investigation system. Providing visual documention/concepts for our Tnt group to develop new shaders, extensive R&D, to prototyping functional in test boxes, to completion of the system in game.
  • Development of high quality textures/particles for various effects such as smoke, energy, plasma, disintegration, electricity and explosions using third party software such as Maya fluids and photoshop and proprietary tools.
  • Worked with our TnT group alongside Gameplay Programmers to create new systems/features with Fullscreen Effects and Shader systems.

Based on Will’s CV, it looks liek the game has been in development since September 2011.

What do you make of this then?

Via OXM.

1. naffgeek

I trying to stay positive but I am sick to death of shooters.

Hopefully they are going to innovate the crap out of the genre…hopefully.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Pytox

@1 shooters, innovation? highgly doubt it :P
    the only shooter that will innovate in next-gen will be hl3 :P

#2 8 months ago
  3. OneLifeCycle

I prefer future shooters like Killzone and Halo… More of a sci-fi setting. I liked what Killzone Shadowfall did with the touchpad on the PS4.

Would love to see some kind of Gears of War type shooter on the PS4.

#3 8 months ago
  4. TheWulf

That’s exactly how I feel. I’m sick of shooters, honestly, and I’m getting to the point where I prefer dialogue-heavy research/puzzle games. It’s why I’ve dropped what I was doing in favour of doing another non-lethal New Vegas playthrough (which will be even easier, this time, thanks to mods).

I don’t know.

See, I looked at that screenshot and the aesthetics are actually pretty nifty! They really are. But it makes me wish I was exploring that world, learning of it, drinking it in, and discovering the stories of both it and its people. That’s what I want.

Forgive me for saying this, but that’s what my problem with BioShock Infinite was. I tried it, and it was hands-down a terrible game, but it wasn’t irredeemable. Every now and then, BioShock Infinite permitted you to enjoy the world, to soak it in, and those were the good moments. Being a shooter actually made BioShock Infinite a bad game — in my opinion. It would have been better served as an adventure game (Telltale-style or point & click) or an Obsidian-style RPG.

I’m just so fed up of shooting things, stabbing things, and killing things. I’m not a complete thicko, I actually have some amount of intellect, and I wish the AAA element of my hobby would realise that more often.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Phoenixblight

Not sure why people are throwing a fuss. Its not like Double Helix puts out quality product. They always stay with the status quo in all of their games.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Natalie J. Yang

I’m making $78 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I’m my own boss. This is what I do,… http://goo.gl/ObvVMU

#6 8 months ago
  7. sebastien rivas

That is because you need a compelling story and perhaps more developed game mechanics and/or more hybrid genre with else. Maybe that game will have it all for you.

Stay open if you are ok with Double Helix, they may surprise you.

I feel same as you though so will live, will see

#7 8 months ago
  8. Doppleganger

Another Dice over here. Finish Killer Instinct first please.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Phoenixblight

Double Helix is not even in the same ball park as DICE. No where close. They are closer to Terminal Reality.

#9 8 months ago
  10. dkpunk

@9 I’m not sure I agree with you. Maybe in terms of sheer size they’re not on the same level as Dice. But, since KI has a big following and they haven’t finished it yet, I can see some people getting apprehensive about it. So far Killer Instinct is a great effort by DH and can only get better.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Phoenixblight

Look at their previous games. They have done shit up until Killer Instinct and that is because MS is publishing and have an entire studio built for quality control.

As far as BF4 goes it has some bugs but overall its a great game and I have enjoyed it immensely and Dice has put out quality games where DH has only had Killer Instinct to claim to its name.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Catherine E. Kinyon

just as Adam answered I am surprised that some one can profit $9628 in one month on the computer. browse around this website… http://bit.do/fEKa

#12 8 months ago
  13. XanderZane

The artwork is very nice. Hopefully the game can be just as good.

#13 8 months ago
  14. RaisinBran

If it’s a FPS I won’t care much for it unless it brings something dramatically new and improved to the table.

#14 8 months ago