Battlefield 4: second class-action law suit filed against EA over quality concerns

Wednesday, 18th December 2013 16:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Another law firm has sought legal action against Battlefield 4 publisher EA on behalf of its investors. It essentially mirrors last week’s claims that EA mis-led investors over the quality and projected performance of DICE’s shooter, and the bugs that followed its launch.

You can read up on the first EA / Battlefield 4 lawsuit through the link. It saw law firm Holzer Holzer & Fistel investigating whether or not EA complied with the federal securities laws when issuing public Battlefield 4 statements between July 24 and December 4.

Now, another law firm Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP has filed for legal action against EA for the same claims between July 24 and December 4, 2013.

The firm alleges that EA violated the Securities Exchange Act during the period and issued, “Materially false and misleading statements highlighting the purported strength of the Company’s rollout of version 4 of its all-important Battlefield video game series.”

It claims that EA’s stock rose based on the strength of its statements, reaching a high of $28.13 per share on August 23 which allowed, “certain of Electronic Arts’ senior executives to sell their Electronic Arts stock at artificially inflated prices.”

The stability of EA titles on PS4 is also up for investigation, with the firm citing, “multiple glitches and significant crashes,” as well as, “bugs, connectivity issues, server limitations, and various other problems plaguing Battlefield 4.”

Geller Rudman & Dowd believes that EA’s statements over Battlefield 4′s quality were misleading because they failed to acknowledge the fatc that Battlefield 4 was “riddled with bugs and multiple other problems, including downloadable content that allowed players access to more levels of the game, a myriad of connectivity issues, server limitations, lost data and repeated sudden crashes, among other things.”

The fact that DICE has now placed all future Battlefield 4 DLC and other projects like Star Wars: Battlefront on hold until the shooter is fixed is also under scrutiny.

Update: EA issued a statement to GameInformer in response to the suit.

“We believe these claims are meritless. We intend to aggressively defend ourselves, and we’re confident the court will dismiss the complaint in due course,” a representative for the publisher said.

We’ll have more on this one as it develops. What’s your take?

Via GameInformer.

1. Sethos

I hope DICE burns.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

They need multiple versions:
    Battlefield 4: Bugged Edition. (Standard)
    Battlefield 4: Less bugged edition. (Limited)
    Battlefield 4: Almost finished edition. (Collectors)
    Battlefield 4: Complete Patched Edition. (Ultimate)

#2 12 months ago
  3. naffgeek

@1 So you want hundreds of people to lose their jobs because your game was a bit buggy?

On Topic, this smacks of EA forcing deadlines for next gen launch or a new yearly update a la COD, whatever it is the state of the game on release points to not enough dev time for a well established company.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Hunam

Doesn’t help that China Rising feels half finished.

#4 12 months ago
  5. dtyk

Nothing too serious will happen to EA or DICE, but this is a “friendly” reminder that you shouldn’t release a game that feels like it’s in Alpha, especially for your flagship mega franchise.

I personally haven’t touched my BF4 for a few weeks now. Waiting for the fixes.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Dark

Fuck EA.

#6 12 months ago
  7. KineticCalvaria

DICE and EA need a serious kick up the arse and finally understand that they can’t release versions of their games which don’t work. Someone isn’t doing their job properly letting this kind of unpolished product come out, they definitely deserve the sack, a lot of people feel conned.

The blame lies with EA on this though, they must have known the state of the game but as usual are just after a quick cash in, rather than delaying it for a better game and happy customers.

#7 12 months ago
  8. zme-ul

little problem there, DICE is owned, fully, by EA
    EA needs to be burned; DICE have their own faults and most likely EA made them pay for

the way I see it: how come no one is interested in protecting the interests of the customers, you know .. those to have payed 60$ and some who even bought premium membership

#8 12 months ago
  9. BrahManDude

this could finally change EA’s mindset on rushing games out

#9 12 months ago
  10. dontbescaredhomie92

Oh well as long as the investors wallets are all okay, wouldn’t want them to be disappointed now.

As for all this generic fuck EA shit and I’m not sticking up for EA by any means (Just accepted they will always be in it for the money) but surely DICE are just as much to blame for this?

EA may own DICE but as it’s their product they must of known just how messed up this game actually was and with the money EA gave them to produce it alone there’s really no excuse for either party, hire some more people or better yet tell them how much money they’ll lose patching it after shoving it out the doors, sure they’ll listen to that.

#10 12 months ago
  11. jeuxvideo4life

@2 lol 😄

#11 12 months ago
  12. zme-ul

do you actually think EA didn’t knew the game is not “finished” or full of game breaking issues?! of course they did
    they’re the ones who sent the gold build to be printed on disks and shipped world-wide
    not DICE

DICE is run by EA execs, not by DICE’s own people

#12 12 months ago
  13. Francis O

And all the mindless drones go out there and buy this crap

#13 12 months ago
  14. KineticCalvaria

@10, as @12 says, business decisions are made by EA. DICE can’t make the call to delay their own game unless it gets EA’s approval, no doubt EA were told by DICE that the game needed longer but EA being the company they are made the call to go ahead and launch it anyway.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Dragon

No. Mindless drones buy 30 year old rehashes and waste their time in fanboying.

#15 12 months ago
  16. zme-ul

#13
    they buy it the same way they buy CoD

after getting burned with BF3 I sweared to GOD I won’t ever buy a EA product

#16 12 months ago
  17. Blacklisted

Why the fuck they only still talking about PS4? What about Xbox One version? I can’t play BF4 MP with my friends. We search, search and we can’t find one only server that is ok. FUCK YOU EA AND FUCKING DICE. HOPE THEY ALL BURN IN FUCKING HELL.

#17 12 months ago
  18. lubu

and yet after 2months dice could not fix it, actually they make it worst after each patch. dice is messed up,they had 2 years for just copying everything from BF3 to BF4 and call it a new game

#18 12 months ago
  19. dtyk

I would say that while DICE is at fault too, what could they possibly have done?

Do you think there’s a developer out there, who (hopefully) takes pride in their work, that would willingly release a game they know most likely won’t work?

I bet the moment they sent it out for Gold status and digital distribution they cringed at the thought of the incoming shit storm that they knew would come.

#19 12 months ago
  20. dontbescaredhomie92

@12,14 If you read what I said properly I’m quite aware DICE don’t handle the business/publishing side of the game, I’m not stupid but I also know EA has delayed games in the past and will in the future so why would they not if the DICE team actually stood up for their product and made it clear that the game was in no way ready?
    I say this in theory (as with the previous comment) and with a hugely optimistic utopian view on the subject.
    I couldn’t play it for a month on release and I think with that time they could of done enough to make it at least playable, there’s no excuse at all for either EA or DICE so stop nitpicking my comment and viewing your speculations on the talks EA/DICE had with each other during production as fact.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Prof Power Glove

This is a very interesting one to follow!!

I’ve worked plenty of times with EA and they are a pain somewhere near the rear for rushing stuff out. Always a emphasis on marketing schedules overruling game quality with the dismissive view that practically anything can be patched once it’s out there – something some platform holders need to take responsibility for too – HELLO TRCs/TCRs?

Dice are good guys and girls – let’s hope they don’t suffer too much here.

#21 12 months ago
  22. bradk825

I don’t know if I’ve seen this kind of thing before… A game that is so shit they got sued over it. It’s probably happened and I just haven’t heard of it. But wow. How could it have gone so wrong?

#22 12 months ago
  23. reask

Not too sure how this would play out tbh.
    Example, I have had very few problems so far so game works for me.
    I was dreading getting it as the beta was a freeze monster.
    I downloaded china rising earlier and played it for a couple of hours tonight no prob.

I know the issues are genuine but how do you prove it if it works for some and not others?

#23 12 months ago
  24. KineticCalvaria

@20, the buck stops with EA, they make the decision to release or not regardless of DICE saying it is or is not ready. So it’s hard to put the blame solely on DICE, or any blame for that matter :).

#24 12 months ago
  25. RussellGorall

They should have just called the game “GTAV”, they would have GOTY awards instead of negative feedback about a broken game.

#25 12 months ago
  26. fraser863

So I spent $59.99 plus tax with this game and the good thing about realisticly its good for a cup Coster for your table.i been gaming for almost 20 years and I have far to say this is as worst then grand theft auto V servers when they released its version of the multiplayer and guess what three weeks of complete failure of servers and online gameplay.i got on gta v for this first time in hmm 2 weeks and they still haven’t fixed the fucking game.it these manufacturers and companies keep producing such garage as bad as the Nintendo 64 superman then I will hang up the towel of 8 years of gaming . I’m done spending my money on games that don’t work.

#26 12 months ago
  27. fraser863

Online gaming*

#27 12 months ago
  28. kaffikjelen

Sue their butts, BF4 is so damned glitchy that it begs for a lawsuit.

#28 11 months ago
  29. Kuwabara

Serves them and the people right. No one should be playing any game right now other than gta5.

#29 11 months ago
  30. cacanoodle

We as consumers should initiate a class action suit against them for putting out a product that doesn’t fulfill expectations given by the creators. Having to refund us all of our purchase would make them think twice about lying to us again… I’m surely not lawsuit happy but we need to make a stand and stop accepting lower than mediocre products.

#30 11 months ago
  31. sebastien rivas

It is true I have seen a server crash here and there so far I do not know if I am the luckiest Bf4 dude on earth or just was able to avoid all despicable bf4 glitches and descriptions in the article but to me and since BETA I have NO freaking issue BESIDE the fucking rubber banding which I attribute this to DICE trying at some level to somehow melt all pings together for better connectivity but here is the major dilemma, Dice never implemented a max ping range. YES I SEE SOME DUDE WITH 10 SECONDS OR MORE PING and when this occurs ranging from 3 seconds and up in latency then the WHOLE server becomes stuttering.
    But beside this crap, also some user Exploiting and of course Nasty fucking Aim Botters here and there then the game is good beside AGAIN the fact most maps are certainly not meant for 64 players!

So again maybe I am blind or just plain lucky to have avoided all issues but
    1) Bf3 was way worse!
    2) Be fair, you are going on witch hunt to Dice while you know this is not the issue!

#31 11 months ago