Apple reveals 2013′s best-selling apps and GOTY picks

Tuesday, 17th December 2013 10:34 GMT By Dave Cook

Apple has unveiled 2013′s best-selling apps and its own GOTY editorial picks. Check out which games and apps ruled iOS this year.

MCV reports that Apple named Vlambeer’s Ridiculous Fishing as the best iPhone game of the year, while Frogmind’s Badlands placed at the top of its iPad category.

The 2013 best-seller charts per format are as follows:

Top 10 iPhone Apps (Free)

1. Candy Crush Saga
  2. Snapchat
  3. Temple Run 2
  4. 4 Pics 1 Word
  5. YouTube
  6. Google Maps
  7. Facebook
  8. Instagram
  9. Despicable Me: Minion Rush
  10. Skype for iPhone

Top 10 iPhone Apps (Paid)

1. Minecraft – Pocket Edition

7. Angry Birds Star Wars II
  8. Peppa Pig’s Holiday
  9. Plants vs. Zombies HD
  10. SCRABBLE for iPad

1. FeaturePreacher

@Dave
    Why does vg247 cover this phone crap, when these articles consistently get 0 comments?

#1 12 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Because if you could see the traffic, this is currently the most read thing at the moment.

Phone games are not crap, considering millions of people play them on weekly basis.

You may need to reappraise the value of mobile gaming, I fear.

#2 12 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Because:

#3 12 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

Also comments aren’t = traffic. Not even remotely.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Lloytron

@1 because its huge business. No one comments because there is no petty fighting or squabbling to be had when it comes to mobile games :D

#5 12 months ago
  6. Fin

I think phone games aren’t as good as “core” games, therefore you shouldn’t cover them.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

I think ‘core’ and ‘casual’ gamers are misnomers.

There are only ‘gamers.’

#7 12 months ago
  8. Lloytron

@6 – define “good”. Should this site only cover games that you personally like?

Some people much prefer mobile games to console games. To them, Candy Crush is way better than CoD.

This site should not stop covering mobile games. However it is possible for you to skip articles you may not be interested in.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Beta

I have no interest in Mobile gaming whatsoever. But I don’t feel entitled to tell the site to stop covering them.

#9 12 months ago
  10. monkeygourmet

Certain types of games are clearly better played on a tablet, thats just a fact.

I must admit I hate games that use crappy gyro or touchscreen controls on tablets / phones though, for example Platformers, shooters etc…

This is a reason why I think Nintendo releasing most of their titles on IOS is a shitty idea. Mario 3 on iPhone? No thanks.

#10 12 months ago
  11. FeaturePreacher

@Dave
    Then could you explain what the appeal is of Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock? Also do you really think Angry Birds Star Wars is going to be your GOTY for 2013, beating out games like GTA 5 and SM3DW on the Wii U?

#11 12 months ago
  12. Dave Cook

Err…They don’t appeal to me, because that’s my opinion.

If millions of people *DO* think Angry Birds and Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock are the best things of the year, then that’s their opinion.

Who are you, we, or even I to deny people their opinion?

Just because it’s not an opinion you agree with doesn’t make it invalid.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Fin

Errr, I wasn’t serious with my comment guys, I was pointing out how ridiculous the argument to not cover phone games is :p

I need to work on my sarcastic voice a bit more ;)

#13 12 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

Mobile gaming is currently the most lucrative and popular type of gaming on the market, and unlike home console gaming it’s actually turning a steady profit.

It might not be your’s or I’s prefer choice of gaming, but for a nine to five mother or father of two who never has a moment to himself, Angry Birds *might* just be his game of the year. It fits into a lot of people’s lifestyle, and that’s why it does so well.

I find football to be the most dull, brain numblingly boring thing in existence to watch, but it’s still possibly to actual keep your mind open enough to try and understand why other people *do* enjoy it.

tl;dr version: Mobile gaming is awesome. Don’t be so close minded.

Also, so is Ridiculous Fishing.

@13 I find putting *sarcasm* at the end of the sentence usually saves the confusion. =P I know, I know, it should be obvious. But… well… Internet and all that.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Hunam

I still think Core and Casual have uses still. Like, in Films. Everyone watches films. I watched a lot of films at the cinema, like 15+ this year but I’m still a casual film goer. I see a film with giant robots punching aliens from the sea and I’m like “fuck yes”.

But I don’t: Read about casting, read about crew, read reviews, previews, opinions etc about films. I don’t go on film websites or read film magazines. I have no real need to know how films are made or if the cinematography is top notch.

My entire interaction with the film industry is based on what my friends say is good and which adverts look good. Therefore, despite being a big consumer, I’m still a casual film viewer.

#15 12 months ago
  16. monkeygourmet

I think any form of quick throwaway media is fine, but it’s always nice if people run with it and explore what else is available.

Unfortunatly, this doesn’t always happen and you can miss alot of great stuff out there by just being stuck in a familiar loop.

#16 12 months ago