MMO Winter Festivities: WoW, GW2, Lotro, SWTOR, Neverwinter, more

Saturday, 14th December 2013 20:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Plenty of MMOs are hosting holiday events or other sorts of festivities between now and the new year, so instead of creating a news post for each one, I thought I would round a few up for you instead.

Get the list full of acronyms below.

Guild Wars 2 – Wintersday (in-progress): As you undoubtedly know already, Wintersday returned to Tyria on December 10. The event will last for six-weeks.

RIFT: Fae Yule (in-progress through January 1): The winter event in RIFT has returned and all across the zones, players can build a village and decorate it to unlock a special vendor and reveal gifts that the Fae have stolen and strewn about the zone. Players can collect the Fae’s treasures to complete six new artifact sets.

Star Wars: The Old Republic – Second Anniversary (December 17): STWOR is turning two years old, and in celebration, players will be rewarded with exclusive Scout Starfighter Paint Jobs to go along with the recently released Galactic Starfighter expansion. They will also be handed 25 faction-based fireworks.

Neverwinter: Winter Festival of Simril (December 19 – January 9): Players can celebrate Simril, the festival of the winter solstice, with various events, meats and ales. They can also do a bit of ice fishing on Glorfindar Lake; compete for the best times at the Twilight Run; grab a Winter Sled Mount; a Frost Mimic Companion; winter weapon sets; and other permanent items.

World of Warcraft: Feast of Winter Veil (December 16 – January 2): The Feast of Winter Veil will be happening throughout the MMO’s major cities, complete with special quests, seasonal items, some spiffy costumes, and Metzen the reindeer will need rescuing.

Lord of the Rings Online: The Yule Festival (December 18 – January 14): Yule returns to Middle-earth next week, but before the winter festivities start, Turbine plans to roll out update 12.1 as “some of the updates impact the festival.” The game will be brought down on Monday, December 16 for an update, so I am assuming the patch is the cause. A developer diary is not currently available outlining the Yule festivities for the year, but if you want an idea of what to expect in Winter-home this year (barring the cosmetics and new mount) head over to the always awesome CSTM and look over the guide from 2012.

Dungeon and Dragons Online: Winter Festivult has been going on since earlier in the month which means that the Jester of Festivult is hovering about and rewarding you for handing him festival coins in exchange for seasonal items.

EverQuest, EverQuest 2: Frostfell (in-progress – January 9): The annual celebration of Frostfell features gift giving, fabulous feasts, holiday crafts, and of course, Santa Glug and his helpers. The celebratory events are also happening in EverQuest 1.

This list is in no way comprehensive, but should get you started. Be sure to check out the official website of the MMO you play to find out what the developer’s plans are for the season.

Merry, Happy whatever it is you celebrate.

1. Darkfield

It really is nice to see you guys throwing some love down the MMO way, thanks for that.

#1 12 months ago
  2. thiz

I agree, its a great Overview, thanks for that.
    SWTOR is also having the Life Day event, where they give some special celebretory items. If the leaks are correct, there will be a Tauntaun with a rudolph rednose too.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Hunam

I miss the Saturday MMO round up Steph used to do.

#3 12 months ago
  4. KineticCalvaria

I miss having an MMO to play :-(.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Darkfield

@4 I hear TSW is on sale, give that a try. :D

#5 12 months ago
  6. KineticCalvaria

@5, is it worth a play though? :-)

#6 12 months ago
  7. Darkfield

@6 it depends really, I for one love adventuring/exploration doing puzzles and solving things rather than go there kill that bring stuff back. So TSW does an excellent work there, your faction questlines are about getting to bottom of things, solving enigmas digging info and things like that. I’m also a huge pve minded person,don’t care much for pvp, again these sort of things is what TSW good at, it is also good at scaring the living shit out of you every now and then. Social features however aren’t top-notch, I had problem finding a guild which eventually pushed me back into wow.

Also neverwinter is quite good. And it is free. So you don’t have to buy stuff in order to play it.

I’d recommend SWTOR only for the sake of rich and quite awesome story telling. Everything there is voiced and you even have dialogue choice with occasional dark side light side influence gains. I specially loved the Maurador story line, epic stuff. Made me a Star Wars fan, and I hated Star Wars before that. With the exception of KotORs.
    It’s also F2P but the worst kind, u might even need to pay for UI elements and u can’t equip rare/epic items without unlocking it through store.

Hope these few lines help.

#7 12 months ago
  8. KineticCalvaria

I’ve tried SWTOR, it’s a pretty standard mmo in my eyes. Whilst the voice acting is cool and all its only really masking the fact that the quests are still asking you to go here, kill that.

Neverwinter I’ve briefly tried but I’m not a huge fan of Cryptic and the game didn’t seem to have much depth.

I have been meaning to try TSW so I’ll look out for that, problem is I just end up getting bored of the lack of variety in mmo’s. Still waiting on a true next gen mmo which changes things up a bit. :-(

Cheers for the input bud.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Hunam

TSW is good fun and has a great atmosphere but the zones are very samey, like there are 3 locations each with multiple zones that feel pretty much the same as each.

#9 12 months ago