Fallout 1-2 and Fallout Tactics free for PC and Mac as part of GOG’s 2013 Winter Promo

Thursday, 12th December 2013 14:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GOG is hosting its 2013 DRM-free Winter Sale and it is kicking things off by handing out Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics for free.

The titles will only be available for the price of nothing for the first 48 hours of the Winter Promo, and since the “rights for the franchise are changing hands at the end of the year,” GOG.com will no longer be able to sell the titles, although they will remain on users’ shelves if they already own them.

Additionally, more than 600 games from the service’s catalog will get a 50% discount until the promo’s finale on December 29.

Until then, there will be three different types of daily deals: each day, a selection of deeply-discounted offerings will be showcased by a well-known YouTube gaming channel in a daily sale up to 75% off.

Also each day, the community will vote on which of two daily game bundles will get an up to 80% discount, and finally, each registered GOG.com user will receive daily Mystery Boxes with gifts of special sales or even the occasional free game.

Hit up the 2013 DRM-free Winter Sale now.

1. Os Money

dope. grabbed them both! thanks!

#1 11 months ago
  2. Pytox

their site is sloow :/

#2 11 months ago
  3. Dirk

I keep getting errors, 404, 500, and sometimes a message that their servers are really busy. That’s been going on for a couple of hours.

#3 11 months ago
  4. fearmonkey

Must be getting hammered due to Free Fallouts?

#4 11 months ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

This is a case where I want the game available to play, but don’t want to try to force my old CD compilation disc to work on my current OS . I’ve been interested in revisiting the earlier Fallouts to see whether they spark the interest for the later ones (as well as get my teeth into a more complex, slow-burn game) Free, as I own the games already, is no bad price. But, yeah, the site’s struggling with demand atm.

#5 11 months ago
  6. deathm00n

@5 Sorry to say this to you, but I have this digital collection (mine is from steam, gog might be different) but I still had to make it work properly with fan patches and fixes. The game opens up with a very small resolution and wrong colors, looking like this: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110515131629/fallout/images/8/8f/Interplaysu.jpg

#6 11 months ago
  7. SplatteredHouse

@6 GoG tend to be pretty thorough in offering the games they release as working “out of the box” on the supported systems. Valve’s far more hands-off in that regard, and only get involved once enough people cry “foul”, (usually not for this sort of case of a re-release).

#7 11 months ago
  8. Darkfield

I’m glad I got them the minute they went up on GoG back in the day, but it’s the best thing you could give someone for free, the gift of true Fallout experience. It’ll get yer engines pumped up for Wasteland 2.

#8 11 months ago
  9. deathm00n

@7 Thanks for the insight, I will try them out later, as I only played 1 via steam, might be easier to start 2 from gog then.

#9 11 months ago
  10. TheWulf

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Make sure you get the content restoration patch for Fallout 2. It’s both an unofficial patch and a mod that fully restores content that was cut from the game. (Even some really good stuff that was dubiously cut solely because ‘Avellone didn’t like it,’ which is one of the many reasons I don’t like him.)

It can be found here.