Dota 2’s holiday plans have finally been revealed, following the announcement of Frostivus and its abrupt cancellation yesterday; hit the break for the details of the new champion and other changes coming in this end-of-year update.
The backstory is: Skeleton King has lost the power to resurrect, and in order to secure his continued undeath, players will need to harvest the Wraith Essence which embues both monsters and heroes with greater power during Wraith-Night.
To achieve this, a team of five must defend Skeleton King through the longest night; every enemy killed adds a drop of Wraith Essence to the recumbent monarch. Naturally, this means Skeleton King is out of the game for the holidays – but may reward successful players on resurrection.
Fighting in Wraith-Night events can also net Phantom Fragments, which can be redeemed for “lockless reliquaries”; several teirs are available including the top-level Wraith-Night Tribute. If you buy the Wraith King’s Favor you’ll also earn Shining Fragments – an effect that stacks with each player – which can be used to obtain a Wraith-Night Ossuary, a treasure box containing unique gems and rare, socketed items, or cashed in for a recipe to craft a Relic of the Wraith King.
In the Skeleton King’s absence, a new hero debuts when December 12 hits North America. Tresdin is the commander of the Bronze Legion and has the following abilities:
- Overwhelming Odds – Deal damage and gain bonus movement speed for each enemy unit in a targeted area.
- Press the Attack – Remove debuffs and disables from an ally, while granting bonus attack speed and regeneration.
- Moment of Courage – When attacked, immediately counterattack with bonus lifesteal.
- Duel – Legion Commander and an enemy hero become locked in a duel. The surviving hero gains a permanent damage increase.
There’s a special item for Tresdin, too, and if you buy the Blades of Voth Domosh before January 3 you’ll get it with Exalted quality. The Blades grant these effects:
- Dual wielded blades and a full new set of animations
- Additional dialog
- Altered Voice
- New base skin and special ambient effects
- Hero icon, Portrait, Loadout Pose & Minimap icon
- New Effects and Spell icon for Duel
- Socketed with a gem that tracks lifetime Duel victories, displayed whenever you win a Duel
That’s not all; the update also adds a Battle Bonus to help new friends you recruit reach level ten, and a profile field showing how many recruits you’ve introduced; a new spectator mode that allows whole parties to view tournaments on just one ticket; a new path for beginners to Dota 2; ranked matchmaking; new items including an announcer pack; and much more.
Full patch notes are available right down the bottom of the Wraith-Night page.