Blockbuster announces closure of remaining UK stores

Thursday, 12th December 2013 12:16 GMT By Dave Cook

Blockbuster has confirmed it will close its remaining 91 stores across the UK by next week, putting 808 people out of work.

Speaking with the BBC, administrators Simon Thomas and Nick O’Reilly said, “It is with regret that we have to make today’s announcement, we appreciate this is a difficult time for all concerned and would like to thank staff for their professionalism and support over the past month. Unfortunately, we were unable to secure a buyer for the group as a going concern and as a result had to take the regrettable action to close the remaining stores.”

It follows the closure of 62 Blockbuster stores last week, costing 427 jobs. At the start of 2013, the chain had 528 UK stores and 4190 employees.

Via Eurogamer.

1. GrimRita

Sad for those involved but 91 stores and 808 staff? No wonder they went bust. How many more badly run retail stores will vanish in 2014?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 I suspect that number includes their head office staff, admin etc.

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

The one in my town has already closed.

It’s now a Morrisons mini-mart…

I hope they gave staff first dibs on all the reduced stuff.

#3 1 year ago
  4. GrimRita

@2 probably. Still too many people considering that they were in trouble again not that long ago.

Shame they didnt jump onto the Online streaming service considering how big they used to be.

With supermarkets taking over the UK, hopefully the staff will find something new.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Arcnail

Writing has been on the wall for rental places for a while now. I think there’s maybe one in my town of about 120K people. Sad for people to lose their jobs, but not surprising.

#5 1 year ago
  6. budgiefeet

Used BB for years, shame they’ve slipped the way of so many other companies in this digital age. My last visit was on tuesday which netted me 20 blurays for £20. Thanks and farewell and best of luck to all those job seekers.

#6 1 year ago