Notch wanted to “create a Valve,” not work for actual Valve

Tuesday, 10th December 2013 14:13 GMT By Phil Owen

Years ago when Minecraft was still in beta — only on computers back then, but still very popular — Markus ‘Notch’ Persson was invited to visit Valve in Washington, and while there he received a job offer from the juggernaut publisher. He turned it down, and explained why in new book Minecraft: The Unlikely Tale of Markus ‘Notch’ Persson and the Game that Changed Everything.

“Somehow, I felt that Minecraft was maybe my chance to create a Valve, rather than work at Valve,” Notch said about that encounter (via an excerpt on All Things D), which he didn’t realize was a job interview until he was in the middle of it.

Mojang isn’t a Valve yet, certainly, but Valve itself wasn’t built in a day. One thing we probably do know, though, is that Notch sure doesn’t need that Valve money these day.

1. RandomTiger

Valve might have even put minecraft to better use than Notch, but why is it recently Valve keep mostly buying new IP rather than create them inhouse?

#1 7 months ago
  2. FabioPal

Well… as I always say: where’e the second game of this “genius”?

A lucky guy, that’s what he is.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Erthazus

@1, they just recently released Dota2. They are still making games.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Mus42

@2 And we’re still waiting for your first game I guess?

#4 7 months ago
  5. FabioPal

uhm, no, as a matter of fact I’ve shipped… seven if I’m not wrong.

But that’s not the point.

#5 7 months ago
  6. darkshale

@2 The second game would be Scrolls, a fun online CCG where you don’t have to buy the packs of cards to win. I have really enjoyed it even its its early beta state. The game is a mix of Magic the Gathering and Heroes of Might and Magic.

#6 7 months ago
  7. FabioPal

@6 Yes, and here is how successful it is:

#7 7 months ago
  8. YoungZer0

@4: Stupid argument. Be ashamed and go away.

#8 7 months ago
  9. TheWulf

It took me a moment to figure out #2′s angle. Apparently #2 is a developer who’s toiled in obscurity, and hasn’t made even a per centage of what Notch did with one game even after releasing seven. In other words: Jealousy.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Mus42

@7 – I take it that his 2nd game is still more successful than the total combination of your 7 games? But then he’s just a lucky guy right? Maybe you should stop being bitter at other peoples success and learn to move on.

#10 7 months ago
  11. deathm00n

@10 Actually I agree with him, it was luck. First, the amount of time it took him to create minecraft, wich is something very simple to develop in my eyes. Second, being made with java, java for a simple game! Don’t take me wrong, I like programing in java, but java is used for heavy stuff, I bet if it was made in any other platform the game would work in every configuration, but as it is it’s so heavy. And I imagine the chaos that his code might be, really, I think the game uses way more power than it would need.

#11 7 months ago