EA scores 100% on Human Rights Campaign’s equality index, again

Tuesday, 10th December 2013 02:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

EA, the publisher voted Worst Company in America two years running, has just scored at least its third gong as one of the best places in the nation to work.

The publisher scored 100% and earned the title of one of the “Best Places to Work 2014” in the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index report.

“We are extremely proud of this achievement that recognizes corporate policies and practices that demonstrate a commitment to LGBT equality and inclusion,” EA wrote on its blog.

EA also earned perfect scores in 2008 and 2012.

EA is pro-active about inclusivity. It fields a Diversity & Inclusion team, hosted a discussion day for inclusivity issues this year, was a primary sponsor of GaymerX and was part of an anti-DOMA coalition. It’s also been supportive of developer efforts, like BioWare’s increasing efforts to allow for alternative romances.

Here’s a video of EA at a bunch of pride parades this year, for the hell of it and also because of the Plants vs Zombies wedding float.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. DarkElfa

This just in, Kim Jong Un re-elected with 100% of vote!

Showing up and using gay pride parades as a chance to market games to a new demographic doesn’t in my mind make them great at anything other than being opportunists.

EA can be as gay friendly as they want, but they are still the worst company on Earth and no amount of rainbow white washing will ever make that not so.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dragon

Lets hate EA some more, just because they do more good than the haters ever did in their hateful lives.

Play games ffs.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DarkElfa

@2, …and you’re an asshole noamlol2

I’m happy that LGBT equality is being taken seriously at EA, I’m just not happy with their need to use it as a marketing tool nor am I happy with their business model as a company.

That being said, you’re still an asshole noamlol2.

#3 1 year ago
  4. lexph3re

I wonder how much ea backs the NAACP. I guess more gay characters I more relevant then non stereotypical African Americans in games or even the lack there is of attracting an black audience.

But I digress, it’s more important to work on who you choose to sleep with in a game then equal ethnic treatment in gaming.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Ireland Michael

@6 You’re sitting on the internet insulting people and calling them names. Try not to come across as a bit of a hypocrit there, mate.

It’s blows my mind the reactions people have to these sorts of things. Who bloody cares if it gives them a little positive promotion as long as it’s for a good cause? It helps people. That’s all that really matters.

#5 1 year ago
  6. lolatfanboys

Well conveniently good news for EA

@ 7 I´m not agreeing with the flame and hate, just saying that this is how people are trained for all their lives. That´s what you get for putting propaganda into everything…people overreacting to everything…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ireland Michael

@9 The past two days in a nutshell:

“EA HAS GIVEN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO BENEFICIAL CHARITIES THAT WILL MAKE MILLION OF PEOPLE’S LIVES BETTER AND SUPPORTED CAMPAIGNS THAT PROMOTE KINDNESS AND TOLERANCE THEY’RE SOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEVIIILLLL!”

It’s nauseating.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Surfer Dude

@1 “Worst company on earth”? Really? What a limited existence you must have that a producer of entertainment ranks as the Worst Company on Earth. I guess all those Weapons manufacturers, loan sharks and gambling conglomerates who feed on human misery are just A-OK in your book but a Games Publisher who questionable handles their IP, well, HOLD THE PHONE! Christ.

@2 Homophobic asshole

@5 Embracing one cause does not invalidate the existence or importance of other inequalities.

@6 I imagine attracting potential employees and ensuring a supportive work environment that fosters improved productivity is defintely something EA would give a shit about. But you don’t strike me as a person who has a grasp on basic decency, let alone effective internal business practices so whatever.

@9 hear hear

#8 1 year ago
  9. Christopher Jack

No one has ever said you had to like any company but this EA hate is beyond ridiculous. If you don’t like them, fine, don’t support them. But claiming that they’re evil & all that BS is just irritating when in fact they’re one of the most progressive large companies around. Don’t worry, I hate a lot of their product policies too but that doesn’t make them a bad company, at worst it makes their products bad.

#9 1 year ago
  10. super204

this jersey is super warm and is super bright! you can see me from a mile away which is great on a foggy day
    zipper works well and the pockets are nicely sized
    i have worn this jersey down to about 38 with an underarmour baselayer and was warm
    i would definitely buy this again

#10 1 year ago
  11. Arcnail

Or.. everyone can take a deep breath.. and say hey.. maybe they aren’t the devil of video game companies. Maybe they are, but I’ll never work for them so what do I give a shit.

Then go play a video game.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Creepy

Where does the word “evil” come from? EA is not evil, just bloated and clueless.

#12 1 year ago
  13. gameoholic007

I don’t support EA or homosexuality, so they can knock themselves out all I care.

#13 1 year ago
  14. bigterj216

@10 You cannot argue with people that have gone full retard. I have made attempts on many forums and it turns out that the power of anonymity is too strong to overcome reason. Although I have had the personal pleasure of watching those who dare to blather on the internet meet their foe in person and wither away like the loser they truly are.

@1 If a gaming company is at the top of your personal “worst company ever” list, then you need to reevaluate your life.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Joe Musashi

@11 I think you make a very important distinction between a company’s products and the company itself. Hating / loving the product is often inappropriately extended to hating / loving the company that produces the product.

Whilst I don’t think it’s always right or wrong to extrapolate that sentiment in such a way, I do believe it’s a very common misstep that many make.

JM

PS: Some classy responses in this discussion. /s

#15 1 year ago
  16. Fin

EA are the worst company of all time. Of all time.
    DON’T. FUCK. WITH. MY. VIDEO. GAMES.
    OTHER COMPANIES MIGHT RUIN PEOPLE’S HOMES, MORTGAGES, CAREER, BUT VIDEOGAMES ARE MY LIFE

I lol’d. Asshole.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Dave Cook

I think people calling EA the worst company of all time are fucking nuts.

Just my opinion.

Absolutely fucking nuts.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Creepy

Care to list some of these other companies that operate on an international level and affect me as non-American in any way?

#18 1 year ago
  19. GrimRita

What is it with all this EA bullshit ‘charm offensive’? @19 – Probably the folk who keep losing their jobs and their treatment at EA during endless cutbacks might disagree with you.

Just buy shoving out all these ‘see we aren’t that bad’ stories is just boring. And, for the record, in their MMO you can’ have same sex romance so they aren’t that friendly towards equal rights – including Wookiees!

#19 1 year ago
  20. AmiralPatate

The people who lost their jobs, homes and bank accounts because of the subprime crisis thingy might agree that EA isn’t the worst on the planet.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Dave Cook

@2 I’m banning you. Homophobia is a bannable offence.

Goodbye.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Gheritt White

@13 & 16: You’re both cunts and I hope you have miserable Xmases.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Fin

Just want to point out I was calling gameoholic007 an asshole earlier ;)

@Creepy

Err, if you put your videogames above weapons manufacturers (Lockheed, Colt, take your pick), mercenaries (Blackwater), predatory lending practices (banks +credit cards in general), the health industry/insurers in the states (which are actively making sick people bankrupt) and exploitative agriculture practices (Monsanto), just because none of them directly effect you, you might be a bit of an asshole.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Erthazus

My opinion on this is that EA should not do this.

+ I don’t like EA with a passion. Because as a publisher it does a very poor job with the “customer service” in fact “customer service” does not exist in EA realms at least in my personal exp with them. When I buy EA game I always feel like I’m a sheep in the hands of a publisher that tries to test on me different payment mechanisms.

Anyway, I don’t support this at all and if anyone supports this should be ashamed of himself.

#24 1 year ago
  25. absolutezero

So does this mean that every other major publisher/developer is less than 100%.

The rest of the industry is not LGBT friendly apart from EA?

Or perhaps they are just not tooting their own fucking horn about it.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Erthazus

^ LGBT only supports companies that do this in public. This is ridiculous.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Dragon

Tolerance-
    Tolerance or toleration is a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one’s own; freedom from bigotry.

tol·er·ance (tlr-ns)
    n.
    1. The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others.

#27 1 year ago
  28. AmiralPatate

EA’s customer service is actually pretty good. I solved most of my major issues in a minute flat thanks to EA live chat. And their help center is overall pretty helpful and straightforward.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Fin

@25@26

If there’s one thing I hate, it’s an independent monitor giving a perfect score to a company for being tolerant and inclusive.
    I’m tolerant and inclusive, why don’t I get an award.

This reminds me of the “I’m not sexist, but” arguments.

Wouldn’t it be a better idea to give one of the less tolerant/accepting companies the title of worst company in america? Or does that make too much sense?

#29 1 year ago
  30. kaffikjelen

As a games company EA should, I think, be better at support for games than support for gays.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Gheritt White

@Erthazus: I *always* knew you were a bigot, now we have the proof. Why don’t you fuck off over to Russia, I’m sure they’d welcome prejudiced views like yours with open arms, you intolerant cunt.

@30: The two are not mutually exclusive.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Dave Cook

@24 “When I buy EA game I always feel like I’m a sheep in the hands of a publisher that tries to test on me different payment mechanisms.”

Simple, grown up, adult solution:

Either don’t don’t buy their games, don’t buy the DLC, don’t buy the microtransaction items.

Basic stuff.

#32 1 year ago
  33. absolutezero

Its still there though, its still buried deep within all the games.

Like Benches in Dead Space 3 asking if you want to go to the EA store. In game.

Its like someone prodding you with a stick in ribs asking for loose change while you try and enjoy something.

Don’t like it? Hey ignore it, its obviously working but you better be sure as hell they will make it as hard to ignore as possible.

#33 1 year ago
  34. monkeygourmet

I don’t think ‘evil’ is necessarily the right word, but as EA are part of the ‘big 3′ (Acti, Ubi, EA), I feel they have a responsibilty for the direction they move the industry, just like any other big company with a monolpoly or influence.

In this case, I feel they have done more harm than good in recent times and understand why many people can be pissed off with there practices.

Great power, great responsibilty yadda yadda…

#34 1 year ago
  35. yeoung

Keep social issues out of gaming, keep gaming out of social issues.

#35 1 year ago
  36. fihar

This article isn’t about consumer-related business practice though.
    This is about employee treatments.

A fact that seems to be lost on most of the people here.

#36 1 year ago
  37. YoungZer0

“That’s good right? I mean it doesn’t suck!”

@24: “I’m not against “these guys in the parade” but I’m against any parade that supports or use people for any kind of sexual propaganda.”

The fuck is that supposed to mean?

#37 1 year ago
  38. Erthazus

@Dave Cook, Oh that’s so simple to do when you are excited about Battlefield 4.
    In theory it is so simple to not pay or not pay for the DLC.

and it is easy to say to you that makes previews of these games for us. You don’t pay for (let’s just say Battlefield 4) so you have nothing to lose. Opinion.

@Gheritt White,” I *always* knew you were a bigot, now we have the proof. Why don’t you fuck off over to Russia, I’m sure they’d welcome prejudiced views like yours with open arms, you intolerant cunt.”

So far you are the only “intoletant cunt” here. I did not say that I hate these people or anything but I don’t want parades all over the place for no reason at all. Especially from EA for no reason at all. That’s my opinion on it. I don’t see myself making a heterosexual parade for some reason or even going there if there will be one.
    and what Russia has to do with this???

@YoungZer0, It means that I’m against any parade about sexual propaganda. That’s all.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Cobra951

“Worst company on Earth” means no such thing, just like “Worst-dressed women” lists are meaningless. The worst-dressed people are starving in the streets, not living in a Hollywood mansion. These are just ways to throw darts at targets within narrow categories. For truly evil corporations, we need to look much further than videogames. But I have no problem with the “worst” label, as long as we all understand the context.

I don’t parade promiscuously down main street either. Frankly, that behavior is disgusting, regardless of sexual orientation. Some things really do belong behind closed doors.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Fin

LBGT != “sexual propaganda”

Russia has become quite unfriendly to gay people recently

“I don’t want parades all over the place for no reason at all. Especially from EA for no reason at all”

Who said EA were having parades? You’re a miserable cunt, if not an intolerant one. Who doesn’t like parades??

“I don’t see myself making a heterosexual parade for some reason or even going there if there will be one”

Yeah, heterosexuals have had to endure some tough times haven’t they?
    (PROTIP: they haven’t)

#40 1 year ago
  41. Ireland Michael

@38 “So far you are the only “intoletant cunt” here. I did not say that I hate these people or anything but I don’t want parades all over the place for no reason at all.”

It is not the place of the majority to dictate what the minority should do. Nobody is making you go to the parades. The moment you start deciding what they have a right to do is the moment you become a bigot.

I’d suggest being very careful with your future posts. You’re probably threading very closely to the “homophobia ban” line. It’s pretty obvious you’re a bigot, even if you say you’re not. “I’m not against gay people, but…”

#41 1 year ago
  42. Rafa_L

“I don’t see myself making a heterosexual parade”

Hate this type of naive comments you see all the time on the internet, in the line of “why can’t I say I’m proud of being white and black people can be proud of being black?”

I don’t like the sexual content most gay parades have, the same way I don’t like the sexual content in “carnaval” here in Brazil. But it’s funny to see how it’s usually much more offensive when gays are doing it.

#42 1 year ago
  43. DarkElfa

Look, my problem with EA doing the whole LGBT thing is that it’s nice and all but I don’t think its sincere in the slightest.

As supported by past evidence, everything EA does is motivated by profit. This means that what they are really doing is using this cause to broaden their demographics, increase media awareness, take advantage of tax loopholes and make themselves look good instead of fixing their shitty business practices.

If I’m a billionaire asshole and I donate 100 million to children’s cancer research in order to get my name out there, make myself look good and use the donation as a tax write off, yes, I did something good for children’s cancer research but I’m still a fricken asshole.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Fin

“I don’t think its sincere in the slightest.”

“True and earnest philanthropy is anonymous gifting, not “hey, look at what I did, aren’t I awesome?” gifting.”

This is so fucking stupid, I don’t even have words.

/out of thread

#44 1 year ago
  45. Erthazus

@Ireland Michael, oh stop the bullshit about my ban or anything. I’m not going close to anything. I’m just against these parades. I’m against any parade that involves sexual propaganda. Especially from Electronic Arts.

and I’m not deciding for them anything. It’s just these parades are pointless. They cost money, make some people angry (angry about it) and make streets unclean and etc. Some of the companies use it for their own good just to make them look better in the eyes of people who they support. Pointless and stupid.

@Fin, “Yeah, heterosexuals have had to endure some tough times haven’t they?
    (PROTIP: they haven’t)”
    and other people need to endure something? Good luck pal. Speak for yourself.

“Russia has become quite unfriendly to gay people recently

Read more BBC and other stupid propaganda bullshit because so far you don’t have your own brain to read Russian consitution if you are that interested in these “sexual” issues. It has nothing to do with reality. Russia has a law that prevents any sexual propaganda (in schools, kindergarten and etc) until the age of 18.

There are several and some serious reasons for that and if someone does not understand that then he is indeed “intolerant cunt” that has no brains.

#45 1 year ago
  46. YoungZer0

@38: “It means that I’m against any parade about sexual propaganda. That’s all.”

Again. The fuck is that supposed to mean?

#46 1 year ago
  47. Ireland Michael

What the hell is “sexual propaganda”?

#47 1 year ago
  48. Legendaryboss

@46/47
    Just assume he means this: “Sexual propaganda”: Its a form of communication, PR stunt etc. etc. which is aimed at telling only one side of the coin in this case “sexual propaganda”.

This could be false or true. Usually repeated. (Edited Wikipedia Meaning). But i don’t see how we stumbled onto this.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Fin

Best I can make out, it’s a blanket term used to stop sex education for people under 18. No wait, not all sex education, just anything that isn’t heterosexual sex.

Cos, y’know, people under 18 can’t be gay.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Legendaryboss

Going by the numbering it seems i missed one argument or we all decided to number funny.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Gekidami

My mere presence is “sexual propaganda”. Oh yeah.

#51 1 year ago
  52. Djoenz

Ha here in the Netherlands a dark skinned fella applied for an internship at a electronics company and he got denied because he was black. His intaker accidently emailed a response to him instead to a colleague.

I bet a lot of the “elite” judge on skin, ethnicity and sexual orientation and if they had a choice they wouldnt hire a lot of people just by these aspects instead of their actual skills.

This EA stunt is nothing but propaganda indeed. With that said still its a positive thing even though just for PR.

#52 1 year ago
  53. sh4dow

Holy crap, those ratings and comments! O_O

As much as I despise EA, I still find homophobes a lot more despicable.

#53 1 year ago
  54. salarta

@42: Pfft, everyone knows it’s no longer gay if it’s exclusively women! I mean come on, straight men like it so it’s totally heterosexual.

#54 1 year ago
  55. mr_krunchi

@Erthazus There are two arguments here that I’d like to point out, which I agree with one and disagree with the other.

A company that shows up to Pride events is full of shit. They use their marketing teams to draw up this image of LGBTQ equality within their company to mass market to LGBTQ bodies. If we look back on queer history, the point LGBTQ fought for so long and hard was to be away from companies and not buying into a heteronormative/homonormative lifestyle. Obviously, the marriage agenda and company reinforcement have changed a lot of what LGBTQ bodies used to fight for. So, I agree with your point that we shouldn’t have companies like EA out there to market their products to LGBTQ in exchange for their support.

But, when it comes to parade events and your point about “heterosexual parades”, seriously, look around. Take a nice look at the representation of our times, regardless of culture or location. Visibility of heterosexuality (and all hierarchy identities for that matter) are everywhere. We see in media, public, performance, products, life, etc. There is no need for more visibility of your inclusiveness. LGBTQ, as well as other organizations/identity groups, need events like Pride to show there are more LGBTQ people out there that don’t have the representation as cigendered heterosexual-identified bodies do. It isn’t about sexual propaganda; its the lack of sexual information and displacement of queer/different sexuality (which isn’t limited to “gay”) that is broadly overlooked and mostly suppressed by heteronormativity.

#55 1 year ago
  56. DarkElfa

@Fin, coming from you that means just plain nothing.

@55, wow, someone intelligent entered the thread, good on you man.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Surfer Dude

“eww gay people are icky, I don’t wanna see them” <— some of the nerds in this thread

#57 1 year ago
  58. Fin

Yeah bro, the first bit was a guess, and the second bit was sarcasm! :)

#58 1 year ago
  59. yeoung

@55:

I’d like to note that several territories (including my own) could comparatively be called progressive re. LBGTQ social issues. Applying the notion that certain ends of the sexuality spectrum are mis- or under-represented on a global scale seems dismissive of the aforementioned territories.

Cultured regions tend to reassess various cultural norms generation to generation i.e music, art, diplomatic alignment, sexuality, etc. Misappropriation of cultural or religious normalcy is phased out over time, meanwhile awareness and/or pride parades amount to little else than a big ole shindig with varying coloured streamers.

Equality isn’t a struggle, it’s a waiting game.

#59 1 year ago